Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I have searched through the threads and pics, and I have seen what is there. But, I don't see too many pics of 67-68 Camaros with 18" wheel/tire combinations. I realize why, but I'm different... I plan to install 18's on the rear and 17's on the front of my '68. I'm not sure about the rear width yet. I'd love 18x19.5 but can't find any with that width. I do like the ARE TTII's and Foose Nitrous wheels with black centers.

Please post up pics of 67-68 Camaros with 18" wheel/tire combinations. If you have spec's, I would appreciate that also. If you're aware of a wheel with 18x9.5 dimensions, please point me to it.

Thanks.
Jim

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks eville. I may join there and find out what type wheels are on that black '68 in the thread. I really like that vintage look with modern size.

Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have 18" on all 4 18/8 front 18/10 will get pics on a link again

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
69ProTouring, thanks for the link. Good info.

whytry, that's an incredible ride. What (if any) mods have you made to the rear end to allow the wheels to fit? I have measured and believe I can go with 18x10, but will try to get a 9.5" width somewhere...

AJSZR2326, please post a link when you can.

Jim

·
Registered
305 Posts
69ProTouring, thanks for the link. Good info.

whytry, that's an incredible ride. What (if any) mods have you made to the rear end to allow the wheels to fit? I have measured and believe I can go with 18x10, but will try to get a 9.5" width somewhere...

AJSZR2326, please post a link when you can.

Jim
Thanks! I wish I went wider than I have on there. I am only running 18x8's in the rear. I am probably going to call Budnik and get some wider ones made if I can fit them. I have to get my rearend done 1st, so I can measure twice and cut once... Last thing I need is to get the backspacing wrong... I would like to run 18x9.5 out back, with a 18x10 I think you need to be spot-on with your measurements and have little body roll or they can rub if you run a 285/40/18 which is what I would like to run...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
whytry, now you're talking my language... Just confirming, you have not made modifications to your rear for the 18's, right? My measurements say I can go 18x9.5 so I want to be sure someone else is in the same boat.

I just checked Budnik's site. I do like several of their wheels, and the black powdercoat option. I'm leaning toward the Arrow, Fontana or Mercury. Also like your Fontanas.

Thanks.
Jim

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah I have read and measured for a 18x9.5 and it will fit without rubbing issues if you run the 18x10 you have to be exact on the offset from what I have seen so far. What tire you planning on running? I am aiming for the 285/40's once I get the rearend in with new brakes... The only thing I did was roll the inner fenderwell and that was more for planning for future wider tires.... I originally was looking at running the 275/40 on the 18x8's I have now but I have been advised against it..... I agree with you on wheel choices, you have picked some good ones.....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to run the 285mm also on a 9.5" wheel. But I believe that width tire could be pushing it a bit, since I have not rolled my fenders lips. But for some strange reason, my 28x12.5 fits just fine... At the end of the day, I will probably run the 275/40 or 35.

Thanks.
Jim

·
Registered
305 Posts
My problem I want to run a taller tire and a 35 is too low pro for me, and CA streets and billet wheels don't mix well, have bent to many.... Are you not looking to roll the fenderwell? If not a 275 will be perfect. I already rolled mine and on a 9.5 I think a 285/40 would fit nicely, plus I am aiming to get little to no body roll back there....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Illinois roads can't be any better... I would prefer not to roll the fender lips. It's painted, it's pretty, and I don't want to risk messing anything up. Although I know a technique that can minimize it, I just don't want to mess with it. But if you have a foolproof technique, I'm all ears... So, I'll probably get that 275. And I also like a taller tire in the rear. It helps...

Jim

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
18's just mounted...

·
Registered
130 Posts
The 18x9.5 fits easily on the rear with a 275/40/18 and the right backspace, which on a 9.5 I would recommend a 5.5". Budnik has a 18x9 which is FatLip, and 18x9.5 which is standard lip. On the 9", I run 5.25" backspace with the same tire. We do ALOT of Billet Specialites and Budnik's in these sizes on first gen camaros.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts