Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Black on Black RS/SS 350 4 speed,400 Dart engine (377 w/ 497 hp), profiler aluminium heads, mun
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
so i went with the 18" wheels.
boze alloys recommends:
235/40/18 front
265/40/18 rear

i understood i needed to go with
225/40/18 front
255/40/18 rear to avoid tire rub?

which do you guys recommend

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
so i went with the 18" wheels.
boze alloys recommends:
235/40/18 front
265/40/18 rear

i understood i needed to go with
225/40/18 front
255/40/18 rear to avoid tire rub?

which do you guys recommend
225/40/18 and 255/40/18 will be very safe. If you don't want to take a risk, then those will fit based on a front 18x8 w/4.75" BS and a rear 18x9 w/5.25" BS.

The sizes Boze recommends should still fit, and are beginning to push the limits, but that's what most of us are looking for with an 18" setup, as wide as we can stuff under there.

I went with a 245/40/18 up front and had to use a small spacer otherwise the front tire will rub at full lock. I had no issues with a 275/40/18 in the rear, but others have. If your rear isn't perfectly centered, you might scrub.

You need to decide what you risk tolerance is. I would probably go with their recommendations, but I'm not risk adverse. It's a good compromise between safe and risky, assuming

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you had your 17 combo set, I would think that the 18 would be the same on the rim and just change the aspect ratio or sidewall of the tire to suit.

I don't like their tire recommendations for your chrome trim and non rolled wheel openings. I think you were right with your sizes.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
If you had your 17 combo set, I would think that the 18 would be the same on the rim and just change the aspect ratio or sidewall of the tire to suit.

I don't like their tire recommendations for your chrome trim and non rolled wheel openings. I think you were right with your sizes.
FWIW, I have chrome trim and fenders aren't rolled. The issue with the larger tires is towards the subframe, not the fender side on my setup. And that's with 245/275's.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Steve...I really like the stance and tire width on your car. Can you be more specific though n the tire and wheel size. Backset, rim width, and tire size. Also, the rear tires look real wide for not having a mini tub or something. So was there any modifications to your car...Like axle narrowed, mini tubs, spring relocation?
Sorry for the delay responding. I am running a DSE subframe which allows for the use of an 18x10 275 front wheel/tire with a 6.6" back space. Out back I have mini-tubs and a 9" Moser floating hub rear that is 57" wheel mount to wheel mount and 18x12 335 with a 5.6" back space. I realize this setup is pretty hard core PT and is not for everyone.

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
10 Posts
Yup, I'm the new guy. Just souring the forum soaking up whatever I can. I've also already decided I'm going with 18's as soon as I can. First go around I think I'll do 225/265 on 18x8 and 18x.9.5 with the intention of going up to 235/275 when I replace them after I make sure I have enough room.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
684 Posts
Yup, I'm the new guy. Just souring the forum soaking up whatever I can. I've also already decided I'm going with 18's as soon as I can. First go around I think I'll do 225/265 on 18x8 and 18x.9.5 with the intention of going up to 235/275 when I replace them after I make sure I have enough room.
FYI, you woke up a 6 year old thread. Search around, there is tons of info on tire sizes. Look in my signature for what I run. The right rear rubs the inside of the tire on big bumps but I think that is because my rear end is off center. IMO, those tire will look to small (narrow) on wheels of those widths. My 275s look close and I am sure 285 would be fine.

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
10 Posts
FYI, you woke up a 6 year old thread. Search around, there is tons of info on tire sizes.
Now that you mention it - I see that, I have found a lot of 6-10 year old threads on here doing exactly that - using the search.

The pinned Wheel/Tire thread seems to have the same 3 wheels for 38 pages, I looked through them all.
If I want something other one of the various brands of Torq thrusts, Cragars, or Rally's I needed to keep searching.

This is most likely waking up an old thread is from using the search and all the suggested threads below the one that was found by searching.

Nevertheless, I like yours I have been searching the web in addition to here.
I had decided to go with those U111's in grey. - in fact, I have been looking at pricing those today.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
684 Posts
That’s cool. I hope my info was helpful. Deciding on wheels and tires can be tough. They are on the car in the picture in my avatar.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts