Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon! I came accross a sweet deal on some 18" TTIIs for my '69, but was curious if the backspacing will work. The front rims are 18 x 8" with 4.5" backspacing. I have read that anything from 4.5" to 5" will work. Is there any concern with 4.5" backspacing?

Thanks!

James

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Sounds good to me, but maybe some more info like disc or drums, and is it lowered, what size tires?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else?

I had my local tire shop "measure" today and they said 4.5" would be perfect, but it was a quick and dirty measurement.

My front disc brakes are a cheap imported conversion kit, not a really nice Wilwood or Baer setup. That makes me think that they aren't as thick as the quality replacement calipers. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am looking at the same size wheels but will have a Baer setup. They are 1/4" thick versus stock drums at a little over an 1/8" from what my research says. In view of this I will be going with a 4.875 here I was thinking 4.75 as it was in the middle of the range you stated. Is it possible to do a test fit???

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am looking at the same size wheels but will have a Baer setup. They are 1/4" thick versus stock drums at a little over an 1/8" from what my research says. In view of this I will be going with a 4.875 here I was thinking 4.75 as it was in the middle of the range you stated. Is it possible to do a test fit???
I wish I could do a test fit. Once I order the wheels, custom, they are mine. No returns. That's why I'm so concerned about it. I don't want to waste $700... You know?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can understand that. If it is an option go with more backspace. You can always use a spacer plate.
That's very true. I think I might just go with the 4.75" because that is what 75% of people on here are running. That way, if it doesn't fit, then I can jut resell them for a small loss.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 67 that I used 18x 8.5 with 4.5 back space. they rubbed or bottomed out now and then at the top if I hit a good size bump.
I put disc brakes on the car , and had to change to 4.75 back space because i could not turn the wheel very far without rubing.

the tires will now just touch the frame on the inside if I turn very sharp.

but are a lot better that before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts