Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone currently running 18" x 9.5" rear rims on a 68 Camaro with a standard width rear and without any tubbing?
What backspacing are you running & what tire size?
Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Roger,
I've got 17x9.5's on the front of my Chevelle that I tested on my '67 Camaro one day. They are 5.5" backspace, and they leave about 1/2" of clearance between the wheel tub and the tire. That is with drum brakes, if you have disks, it may give you a little more clearance. It will also depend on what size tire you run as well, mine was with a 275/40/17 which has almost 11" section width.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep, the standard MAX is a 275 tire on a 9.5" wheel w/ 5.5" b.s. when using a stock width axle and disc brakes...on a first gen.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, Anthony is it the same for 17" & 18" rims?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes Roger, it's the same for 17s and 18s...just the tire sidewall will be different between the two since you still want the same overall tire diameter...approx. 25.7" give or take...

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jigga

Yes 18 x 9.5 rim, standard wheel wells & standard width rearend with discs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a 17 x 9.5, 275 40 17 on my 67 and I have tire rub on the inside wheel well. Every car is a little different and depending on how low you want to go. It will make a difference. 67's and 68's are different than 69's because of the rear quarter design.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
67RS RAG

Do you know what the backspacing is on your wheels?

thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
5.5 BS in rear and 4.75BS in front. Drums all around. I also have put 1/4" spacers on the rear to help but under hard accelaration and big bumps I get rub on the inside wheel well. Some others have the same problem and some get away with it. Like I said depending on how low you want your ride it can be avoided.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks 67RSRAG.

Got any other pics you could send to me? Your car is a lot like where I'm hoping to get mine to, mine is a 68RSRAG

·
Registered
294 Posts
Aussie let me know if there is something specific you are looking for and I will be happy to send you some.
Rob, I have 275 40 17 on the rears and with the spacers I am still hitting on the inside wheel but not on the outside

1 - 20 of 21 Posts