Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting real close to driving my ‘68 Camaro for the first time, but I had a few questions about the ’67 327 that is in it. I purchased this engine from a friend of a friend, who, in turn got it in trade. I don’t know anything about the engine, other than it appears to have been rebuilt. I have started it, so it does run and sounds really good, with possibly an “RV” type cam in it- not much of a lope. So, its probably not making any HP over 300, probably 250 or so if I am lucky. So, based on these assumptions, I have a couple questions:

1) It has a Performer intake and Holley 600 on it (not a double pumper), and is most likely jetted for Grand Junction, Colorado which is where it came from. I live in Phoenix Arizona, and will need to re-jet it. I have one of the Holley assorted jet kits, and would like to know if any of you out there could recommend a jet size. It’s a four speed car, if that matters.

2) I am planning on running a mechanical oil pressure gauge- where is a good place on the engine to get this from? It’s a ’67 sj 327, so it has provisions for the “road draft tube” which has been eliminated, but there is a bolt hole next to the hole in the block for the road draft thing- would that be a good location for oil pressure, or is there somewhere else that’s better? It leaked oil when I first started the engine- I didn’t realize the hole went into the galley…

That’s it. Thanks in advance for looking and responding.
Dean in AZ

Premium Member
13,705 Posts
1.) As far as the carb - I would either;
a.) run the carb 'as-is' until you can get a mixture reading from your plugs and then adjust
b.) drop the primary side one or two jet sizes and take some plug readings
c.) pay a little bit of money to a good performance shop and have them analize your AF-ratio electronically and adjust the jetting to suit.
You could do the first two options easily at home and the third with some investment in systems or tools.
Might be wise to do one of the first two and then see if you need more ...

2.) Yes, that little hole in the rear of the block is the galley tap for the original pressure sender system.
You can easily find the proper 1/8" NPT fittings to adapt almost any required tubing to the gauge for this port.

BTW - The bigger 'hole' is not for a "road draft tube" ;)
They quit using the road tubes in 1962.
The hole for 1967 blocks was routed to the air-cleaner or to a PCV depending on the type of ventilation system required (49-state vs. Cal/High-Alt.).
You can just plug it off with a 'soft-plug' or an expanding rubber plug and use the holes in the valve cover to route your PCV system to eliminate crankcase wastes and pressure build-up.

Hope this helps ...
1 - 3 of 3 Posts