Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So once again I have an engine issue. I am worried that I didn't break in the camshaft properly. So the engine is together. But, I worry because I didn't have a tacometer when I let it run to break it in.
I took off the valve covers and the valve rockers. I have measured the travel distance of each of the push rods. This should be the lift of each cam lobe...right? What worries me is that I get an exhaust lift of about .30" and a intake of about .275". I say about because I am using a marker. Although these numbers are fairly consistent for each of the 8 cylinders, they seem very low. Does this mean that I have damaged the cam and need to replace it?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Don't forget to multiply the lift numbers by 1.5 for the rocker arm ratio. I have had camshaft failure before, it started with valve train noise, followed by rocker arms that were always loose. If your valve train looks like its all moving about the same you may be ok. Pull your oil filter, dump it out into a clean pan. Then cut it open, if the cam has failed there will be a lot of metal in the filter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realize that you have to multiply by 1.5. Also, didn't think about pulling the oil filter. Good idea. I'll try that next. Thanks grampstoyz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts