Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm a young mechanical engineer. I've been working on my 1967 Camaro for about 8 months and am currently in the process of installing a console and gauges in my car.

I've been studying the wiring diagram and seeing what the best way to do everything is and I noticed that
1. The low fuel module sells for over $50 and
2. An AMP meter inherently doesn't give as much information as a voltmeter while none is available for our 1967 console.

If I program a controller to turn the AMP meter into a voltmeter and turn on the low fuel light when necessary, is easy to wire in, and fits right behind the console gauges would anyone be interested in a module that does those two things? I could add more functionality like adjusting the span of the fuel gauge or temp gauge although these might be better solved with actually using the correct spacer.

If so, would you be interested in paying for it?

Are there any other items like this for our cars that would be convenient to have? I can think of a light delay/slow dim module (keep radio on until door open) -although I know some company already makes that.

-KJ Moore

·
Premium Member
12,510 Posts
KJ - There are similar OEM style gauge packs for the 67 from Dakota Digital that already include voltmeters.

1967 Camaro with Console gauges VHX Instruments

But if you are looking for true OEM voltmeter yeah several shops offer conversions out there such as Redline, speedometer.com to name two. So you would have to price within those shops price ranges or offer something they don't. But it sounds like you already know that.

For the LOW FUEL WARNING MODULE I usually steer folks to the programmable unit for those who are adding gauges (part 37651), or those replacing dead factory modules (part 500274) from M & H Reproduction Wiring Harnesses for America's Muscle Cars as the factory originals were designed in a world where at any intersection there were at least two if not three or four full service gas stations so lighting up at less than two gallons was acceptable. These days when that many not bring you to the next self-service station being able to set the OHM set point to 1/4, or even 1/2 the tank as opposed to the 1/8 factory points is a clear advantage if you really intend to use the light as designed. So if you incorporate that feature then it is a marketing advantage since the M & H module while not large, it hides better in the 68/69 console than in the 67.

As to other modern convenience items, yeah most are available such as dimming and auto shutoff for headlights, or delay wiper units such as I have reviewed before. I think the key to any of these units being successful in marketing to us is can they be as "plug and play" as possible. The wiper delay I found and reviewed was extremely easy. Unplug the harness from original switch, plug in the module, attache the output leads from the module to the original switch and done. The headlight auto shut-off I was using was in line but did not last. The more robust units I looked at a few years back required cutting into the harness. That was a no go for me.

One item people are always having issues with are in using factory style or OEM Tachometers with non-points style ignition systems. With Radio-Shack gone its difficult for folks to grab resisters and cobble up a homegrown filter. I have also reviewed a few of the more modern conversion units, so again if you can offer something cheaper better you should have a good market and you can start selling in our classified sections. :)

Just my two dollars worth of advice.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Brian,
Dakota Digital told me this morning they are coming out with an RDX package for console cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts