Team Camaro Tech banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Your straps look great.

You might want to weld some bushings inside the subframe connector before final welding. the bolts will fit through the bushings. You could weld the strap directly onto the subframe so you won't need to drill any more holes.

View attachment 270068
Thank you!

I will most definitely be installing bushing within the subframe once everything is mocked up and I know the entire system is going to work. Thank you for reminding me to mention that I would be adding these.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I made a little progress on the driver side this morning. I transferred the hole to the outside brace which I drilled in the bench vise off of the car. I then drilled the subframe from the outside, I located a right angle drill but it still did not fit on the inside of the frame.

obviously there is a gap on both side (more significant on the outside), this is because of the flare at the rear of the subframe. I was able to close this gap on the passenger side by just tighten the bolts. Hopefully the same works on the driver side, I really don't see a reason to overcomplicate the bending of the brace to accommodate the flared section. As recommended I will be putting a bushing inside of the subframe so that as I tighten the bolt I do not collapse the frame rails. I will do this once I am happy with the fitment of everything and the subframe connectors are welded, I will be sure to post picture when I install these.

As you can see I have a bolt in the front hole however, that bolt is 6 inches long which is an inch longer than I can use (because the bolts are not fully threaded). Farm and fleet in town is closed today because of the holiday. I will run to the store and grab a couple bolts tomorrow (need one for the passenger side as well). Once that is installed I will be ready to start welding. I already have all the grounds disconnected and my ECU unplugged.

I have to clean up the driver side a little bit and make one patch for the passenger side area shown in a previous post. I am going to try and make a lot of progress this weekend as I go back to work on Monday so progress will slow a little bit at that point. I will try and provide at least one update these weekend, hopefully it is a big one!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I worked for 3 hours today and got the driver side subframe connector 90% welded in from the top. The welds are not pretty, at all, but they are solid. I was expecting this process to be difficult and time consuming, I was definitely correct, I cleaned off the floor as best as I could but it was still difficult to manager the gap and thickness difference.

The final fitment of the subframe connector just before welding. I ran out and got a bolt today that was the correct length. I have not put a bushing in the subframe yet but I can easily to that once the connectors are complete. Don't judge these welds to hard, I am not super happy about how they look but I will be seam sealing them when I am all done anyway. For obvious reasons I was unable to lay any continuous beads but I do think they weld came out pretty satisfactory functionality wise anyway.

As you can see the subframe connect is not completely welded in the front. There is a decent size gap where its not welded I am getting a copper backing plate to help with this. I used TIG rod as additional filler in 5 spots on this connector. The TIG rod method does work fairly good once you get used to doing it.

I also got the rear brace closed back up as seen here. Overall I am happy with the fitment and the rigidity of the setup. Very excited to see this project coming together as this type of modification is new to me.

Next step is to get the passenger side to the point and then work on welding from the bottom of the car. For the majority of the connector the bottom shouldn't be as tough to weld as I will have the previous weld to back it up. I am hoping to make some progress on the passenger side tomorrow. I was hoping to get the driver side tacked in today but once I got going figured I might as well keep working.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Started welding the passenger side subframe connector in today. There is not much I could do until I get my copper backing and some more TIG rod. However, I did make some decent progress.

I will be cutting out the section of the floor that is rusted, this is the reason I did not weld the entire side of the subframe connector. That repair will probably be the next step along with welding the other side on the connector. Since I was at a stopping point I decided to do some painting since the temperature was decent today (low 30s).

As with the floor I also primed the links between the subframe and the connector. All the black paint I used Rustoleum undercoating in an aerosol can. I am happy with how this paint has work thus far. Both links are getting painted black I just wanted to show the stages of progress.

I am going to try to keep the progress coming at a good pace but I got back to work tomorrow so progress is going to slow a little. I still have a lot of work to do on the subframe connectors but I am happy with the progress I made while on vacation. I got done what I wanted to, obviously it would have been nice to get this project done but since I have never done anything like this I am satisfied.

I am hoping to get the other 2 links painted this week giving them plenty of time to dry. I would like to work on more of the welding next weekend, the goal is to have the top side finished by the end of next weekend. This of course is dependent on my copper showing up.

For anyone that has installed DSE subframe connectors I am curious as to how the carpet fit over the subframe connector? I am nearing the point in which I will need to order some carpet, not a huge rush but it will be installed this winter.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
For anyone that has installed DSE subframe connectors I am curious as to how the carpet fit over the subframe connector? I am nearing the point in which I will need to order some carpet, not a huge rush but it will be installed this winter.
I was under the impression no modifications were needed to the carpet for these - which I have a hard time imagining considering the hump in the floor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I was under the impression no modifications were needed to the carpet for these - which I have a hard time imagining considering the hump in the floor.
I emailed Detroit Speed yesterday. Asking if they had experienced any issues with installing factory replacement carpet over the subframe connectors. The reply I got was that once the padding and carpet are stilled you can barely notice the subframe connectors. Hmmm..... well thats not what I asked. Its great that its hardly noticeable but that doesn't tell me if the protrusion through the floor makes the carpet come up short on the sides.

Looks like we are all going to be learning together!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
With everything going on right now I am still waiting for some of the parts that I have ordered. I am also thrilled that my copper backing plate for welding has been back ordered. I did still manage to make some progress this weekend although I am having to do things a little out of order.

I got the second set of links painted this week so that they had ample time to dry. I then just roughly installed both sides, mainly so I don't lose them or scratch the paint to hell.

I got a little more welding down on the driver side from the bottom. This was actually not to difficult as the weld from the top acted as a backer so I did not blow through. At this point I am done welding until my TIG filler rod gets here. Both subframe connectors are very solid at this point but I am definitely going to weld them completely.

It was still a reasonable time when I finished all this work so I decided to lay some sound deadener.

This is as far as I want to lay the sound deadener until I get the welding done on the car (I also ran out but have more on the way). Hopefully I can make some more progress soon but at this point I am waiting on my deliveries.

I also contacted FAST because once again I am not happy with something I did a long time ago on this project. As you might be able to see in some of the pictures I have posted the ECU is zip-tied to the steering column. When I did this I was young and dumb, I did not think things through. I emailed FAST about an extension for the ECU plug, I could make one but the Deutsch style connectors require a special crimp tool that I don't have. It would also be nice to have the same color wires as the original and I do not have anywhere near that variety of wire. If FAST cannot (or is not willing) to make me an extension then I will have to explore some other options. There will definitely be more to come on this, hopefully good news!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Small update. I ordered a more sound deadener, tig rod, and a replacement passenger side rear floor plan. All of these parts have now arrived. I am waiting on my copper backer that will be here in a couple days. Then back to work on the subframe connectors.

While waiting for all these parts I had time to do a little research on what parts I need to make an extension for my FAST ECU plug. I ended up ordering all of the parts and I am currently working with my electrician at work to build the extension. Luckily he had the crimper to crimped the closed body pins. Once the harness is complete and I know that it works I will post all the part numbers that I used. Hopefully this helps someone in the future that wants to build one of these extension. Deutsch style connectors seem to work well but it did take a while to find the correct plug and receptacle for my application.

Hopefully this weekend I will have a more substantial update with some pictures. I am hoping to get the floor completed welded and seam sealed in the next couple weeks. At this point I can only really work on the car on the weekends but I will keep pressing forward. While I have the interior apart I am also going to route all of speaker wires and find all the needed connections for a future radio. I will also probably install a USB port so that I can charge my phone on future road trips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Made a little progress yesterday on the car. The tig rod I order from Summit was the correct diameter but is stainless, the only downside is that it is not magnetic. However, the filler rod and copper backing are very helpful when filling the gap between the subframe connector and the floor. I got the driver side welding complete from the top side, I still have to tie into a couple of cross body braces. The welding is not at all pretty but definitely is solid. I also got the piece welded in that had to be removed for access to the front of the subframe connector.

Since it was later in the day and I had some other commitments I decided to do some painting instead of welding the passenger side. I primed the bare areas then used aerosol undercoating as I did on the rest of the floor. While waiting for the various layers of paint to dry I got all the sound deadener cut for the driver side as well as one piece for the passenger side.

In my opinion I am happy with the way that the driver side turned out. Like I said I still have a little more work on the underside of the car but from the top I am happy with how it turned out. Once the welding under the car is done I will apply my seam sealer. Hopefully next weekend I can get the passenger side welded and to the same point as the driver side.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,197 Posts
Austin - as far as your carpet and the DSE connectors go you I have a thought. Yours actually protrude less than mine do so you could probably put sound deadener on either side and then trim back the padding from your carpet where the connectors are. I ordered my ACC carpet from Rock Auto and was surprised how thick the backing is. I am almost certain you wouldn't even know/notice they were there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Austin - as far as your carpet and the DSE connectors go you I have a thought. Yours actually protrude less than mine do so you could probably put sound deadener on either side and then trim back the padding from your carpet where the connectors are. I ordered my ACC carpet from Rock Auto and was surprised how thick the backing is. I am almost certain you wouldn't even know/notice they were there.
Thank you! I am probably going to be ordering the same thing from Rock Auto. I got a little while until I get that far as I don't have room to store it until I can put it in. Did you go with the 1 or 2 piece kit? Mine currently has 2 piece and I think that would be a little easier to install although the appearance wouldn't be as clean.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,197 Posts
Thank you! I am probably going to be ordering the same thing from Rock Auto. I got a little while until I get that far as I don't have room to store it until I can put it in. Did you go with the 1 or 2 piece kit? Mine currently has 2 piece and I think that would be a little easier to install although the appearance wouldn't be as clean.
I went with the two piece for no reason other than that's what I was familiar with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Brief update before the weekend. My extension harness is complete. The harness turned out pretty good, I am going to check fitment tomorrow but I do not foresee any issues. The next step is going to be bending up some sort of bracket to mount the ECU. At this point I am think the glove box but the center console area is an option as well. Any input on this is more than welcome. I am thinking I will try to bend up a mount next week at work, as anytime this weekend will be dedicated to the floor and subframe connectors. I am hoping to either finish the driver side install or get the passenger side to the same point as the driver side. Hopefully I will have another update later this weekend with some good progress!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Once I confirm the ECU plugs in to the harness I will post a list of parts that I used. Yesterday I was able to make a little progress on the car, I decided to work on the passenger side subframe connector. I got the top outside edge complete welded, I also installed the portion that had to be removed of the seat mount and rear cross member. The inside portion of the floor and subframe connector has to still be finished. This was just not something that I wanted to tackle yesterday, next week I will probably take this challenge on.

As you can see (don't mind the screw driver) the amount of weld need to fill the gap was significant. I laid tig filler rod for most of this weld to allow me to put more filler and not blow through the floor.

This shows the significant amount of repair required to fix the inside of the floor pan. I order a replacement pan which I will be scabbing in. At the point of this picture I ran out of the undercoating paint that I was using.

More progress to come soon hopefully!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Progress has been non-existent as of recently. The high temperature for the past 2 weeks has been in the single digits on the weekends. Next weekend it is supposed to be in the high teens or low 20s so I am hoping that I can get the passenger side floor board and sub frame connector done from the top side anyway. So I am hoping to have a real update next weekend. I did discover today while going out to shovel snow that the transmission is still leaking. A while back I replaced the O-ring on the speedometer housing which apparently didn't fix the issue. I have yet to crawl under the car to what the source of the leak is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
It finally got above 0 degrees around here, so this weekend I was able to get out in the garage and get some work done. As previously shown there was a significant rust spot in my passenger side rear floor pan. I had ordered a replacement panel for this a while back and was just waiting to install it.

Please excuse the ugly welds, this floor pan was a bear to weld to with all the surface rust. Since no one will see any of these welds anyway I just want to get them to hold. I cut out the section that is outlines by a red marker.

I ended up having to remove a little more than this on the front side of the hole do to the amount of rust. But after many trial fits and a lot of trimming and grinding I got the patch panel in.

Now that the floor is completely welded from the top side I have a few areas to finish on the bottom side which has actually proved to be easier welding as there is already weld to on the top side. If this was a cosmetic piece I would have put much more effort into cleaning up the metal before welding and grinding the welds flush. However, I will be putting seam sealer and sound deadener over all of this anyway and everything I have done so far is very solid.

Hopefully I can finish the welding and seam sealing this weekend. Then I can layout my sound deadener order some carpet. The next couple things I am looking to do are install a radio and get the speakers wired, mount the FAST EZ EFI ECU and get my extension cable routed and plugged in, and fix my transmission leak (again).

Again if anyone has any input on radios they have used that have Bluetooth and/or USB that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been looking at a retro radio on Ausley's Chevelle ( chevelle.com ) for my 69. All the new features at a pretty good price. I have no experience with them so no feedback on the quality.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I've been looking at a retro radio on Ausley's Chevelle ( chevelle.com ) for my 69. All the new features at a pretty good price. I have no experience with them so no feedback on the quality.
I have been looking at RetroSound radios on summit racing. This is the most reasonable priced Bluetooth radio I have been able to find. But I also have no prior experience with them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I made some significant progress this weekend since it was absolutely beautiful outside. I finished welding the subframe connectors in from underneath. Since was about 50 degrees I then applied seam sealer to all the seams. In my opinion the seam sealer turned good.

I am in the process of priming and painting the underside of the subframe connectors now. The next step is laying the sound deadener on the rest of the floor. I have also ordered a new overflow tank and air filter. I am still in the process of installing the overflow tank but the air filter turned out good and fit very well.

I don't yet have it mounted but I have connected the ECU to the extension harness. I will post pictures and part numbers soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I got a ton of work accomplished this week. Last night I finished installing sounded deadener. I was able to get carpet from the firewall all the way through the rear seat. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the final install of sound deadener but you can imagine from the one below the entire rear seat area is covered.

I ordered carpet earlier in the week from Rock Auto, went with the recommendation I got on this thread of American Custom Carpet. I ordered it with the mass backing to try keep the interior noise down as much as possible.

I am happy with the install. The carpet is very nice and I do highly recommend. As you can see in the final picture my ECU is hanging under the glove compartment. I will be building a bent insert for the glove box as opposed to the fiberglass one sold online. I will bolt my ECU to the bracket once I get that bent up at work.

I also figured out what my transmission was leaking at the speedometer cable, it was not the O-ring. I removed the house and realized it had no seal at all for the speedometer gear. So I installed a new one hopefully that fixes the leak!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts