Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the factor tach and bought a new wiring harness. The plug that comes up to the speedometer has a wire coming off of it and I'm not sure if this powers the tach or if the tach is powered through the plug that goes into the speedometer?
I've attached a picture. I know that the yelow wire that goes to the console gauges is for the low fuel (not used) and the other yellow is for the radio so what is this one for?:eek:
http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab239/imbucky26/?action=view&current=DSC01174.jpg

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
What color is it? Light green? If so, it's the high beam indicator light.

The tach is not powered through the plug. It has a plug/post on the back of it in the lower right hand corner as veiwed from the rear... An additional wire plugs into/mounts on that post.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
What color is it? Light green? If so, it's the high beam indicator light.

The tach is not powered through the plug. It has a plug/post on the back of it in the lower right hand corner as veiwed from the rear... An additional wire plugs into/mounts on that post.
OK, I blew it. The tach signal is in the connector. It is routed through the circuit board to the post w/ the nut on it in the 12 o'clock position on the back of the tach. The stud/post is the power for the clock... Sorry. :eek:

This is all according to this thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158264

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought too? I also looked at that post but it was for a 68. SO what is that yellow wire for? Is it for a cheater speedo?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Yah, I only have '68 stuff... Do you have a wire leading to the high beam light? What does the socket look like? Would it hold a bulb? Is it a connector?

I've seen wiring diagrams for the console. I wonder if the rest of the wiring diagram book (RS & console gauges) has the cluster diagram??? I could try to see what's under my dash. But it's a '68...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the green wire and that one isn't the issue. I have another yellow one, take a look at the picture....

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
It looks white in the picture.... Anyway, what does the socket on the end look like? Does it hold a bulb? Does it have a spade? What? Sorry, I really don't see any single yellow wires in any of the diagrams. They all go to multiple wire plugs. The heater switch and turn signal/column, for instance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's a socket and I also looked in my AIM and others with no luck?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I'm stumped... Could it be the body harness end for the radio power lead (yellow wire from radio harness would plug into it. plug/spade: UPC U57 sheet A5 item #8)? You did mention two yellow wires in your original post. One to low fuel (though, I think that one is in another connector and not a single wire) and radio. Is this a third yellow wire? Sorry, I am more confused now... :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, three yellow wires. Onr to the console gauge, one to the radio, and one to?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
No new ideas... Sorry. Well, you could test it to see what it does under specific instances. Such as 12V w/ the key in ignition, accessory, and/or off. Once it has power, you could pull fuses until it doesn't. Then, figure out what items are powered through that fuse... Seems like a PIA. I guess if everything that you want to work is working, then tuck that puppy away and move on. lol

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Hey, I wrote another guy that was having wiring issues w/ his factory gauges. He had an extra yellow wire, too! He said he eventually figured out that it plugged into the dash gauges at the low fuel warning indicator. Does the cluster have an open spot for it? I would have thought that light is powered by the printed circuit, not an extra wire...

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts

It has been several years since I installed the tach and guages in my '67. I used a conversion harness. The yellow wire is the low fuel warning light.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Right. But I think he has narrowed things down already. Unless he has used an upgrade harness instead of a replacement harness, there is a third yellow wire involved that is a mystery... Then again, if it IS an upgrade harness, that would explan things!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! Great picture, that's what I'm looking for!
Conincidence is yesterday I contacted the company that made the "upgrade" harness that I installed. I had lots of issues when I got everything hooked up. Interior lights were flashing and headlights were always on when I connected the battery, not good!
I got it figured out that the plug that came from the front light harness was assembled UPSIDE DOWN! All the wires were 180 deg out. I contacted the company and I'm waiting for final word from them but I also sent them pictures of the whole deal...
When I was talking to them they stated that the yellow wire is a back up low fuel warning pig tail in addition to the one that's under my console gauges.
I have 2 pig tails for the low fuel warning...
CASE CLOSED!
Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fired up the car tonight, Tach works perfect and has backlighting, reaally nice!
Next issue......
Left turn signal indictor doesn't work? verified all the signals work fine so it;s just the indicator. I swapped out the black bulb holder and bulb and bent the tabs back up to see if that was it and no dice!
Any help?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn, forgot one thing!?!?
I have power to the console but the console courtesy light just barely lights? Grounding issue? I also have no backlight to the gauges that's why I thought a grounding issue?
I can't find anything in the AIM that says there needs to be a ground pigtail anywhere?
Again, I'm getting close....just need a little help....I post some pics soon....

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
First off, :hurray: :beers:

Now, second, I don't think that picture matches the circuit boards I've seen... At least for the tach and "power".

Anyway, yes, there is a black wire in the console harness from the factory. It attaches to a post on the back of the gauges. The fuel gauge ground attaches there, as well. People have also made a ground wire to run to the other pair of gauges. That may solve the low light intensity.?.? Check UPC U17, sheet A2 for the gound wire. Item #6, nut holds the ground wire on the stud.

The ash tray sometimes shorts on the console courtesy light! I believe it is the prongs that hold the ash tray in place. Some people have put shrink wrap or other insulation on those prongs to stop the shorts. The light gets it's ground from the harness connector. But probably is tied to the black wire previously mentioned... Both problems might be due to the same gounding issue? :confused:

Turn signal indicator. Fun!!! The picture has the right wire color (light blue) and location for the left indicator. You might want to probe that connector while still connected to the cluster via the back of the connector. Test for voltage when the signal is selected (red meter probe to connector, black to ground). If no power there, your issue is somewhere else. With the other issues you mention, who knows... It's a place to start. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts