Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1967 Camaro in my shop in about 1000 pieces and I'm in the process of putting it back together. I pulled the subframe and had it powdercoated, installed new control arms and coil springs, and just started looking at the steering components when I realized the Idler Arm Assembly I ordered from NPD is not like the one that was on the car. The one I pulled off has what I've seen described as a "68-69" L bracket type short idler arm 5.25" in a Dave Pozzi illustration. I found the picture of one in an old Ebay sale
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-1968-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-NOS/230435294254. NPD and other sources only offered one option for the 67---C-6895-01A.

There is a number on original arm----5121-M. No other markings that I can see. The car is manual steering if that makes a difference.

I put pics on photobucket. Here's the link:
http://s365.photobucket.com/albums/oo100/mcothren/Idler Arm/

I've owned this car for almost 30 years and the idler arm has not been replaced during that time. Anyone know if this is a standard part for the 67? Any idea of where to find a replacement or another solution. The idler arm I got from NPD will not mount on the frame correctly.

Thanks in advance.

·
10,144 Posts
67 idlers are 5.7" long. 68-9 idlers are 5.5" long. The 68-9 versions will work on 67's too and are easier to find at any auto parts store.
67 idlers are available at Rare Parts, which your local dealer can buy from, they are wholesale only, or get one from Rick's or other aftermarket dealers.

Ideally the idler length would match your pitman arm length, but the long pitman is 5.7" the short pitman is 5.25" The 68-9 idler length splits this difference at 5.5" so it works as well with either length pitman.

Your new idler won't bolt to the subframe? what is the hole spacing?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Dave. This makes a lot more sense to me now. Based on your description, the idler arm I pulled from my 67 was not the original. It measures 5.25" and looks exactly like the one your show on your website at:

http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm#Steeringarmlengthsandpartnumbers

(third picture down from the top of this page--).

The one I ordered from NPD is the 67 version and measures 5.7". It will mount on the subframe but appears it will not be in the same orientation as the one I pulled off---it is about an inch or so lower than the original where it mates up with the centerlink. I'm also replacing the pitman arm, centerlink and tie rods so, hopefully, this will resolve any issues I may have had.

Thanks again for responding.

Mike

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The center link should be level when bolted to both the pitman and idler.
So, I hope your old idler put an inch too high, and now you will be close.
I have no idea what do you if you are now too low...

·
10,144 Posts
I have 3 different type idler arms here, but they all locate the same height on the center link. I have a stock 67, McQuay Norris, and Moog.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It's strange that the engineers would design a car with different length idler vs. Pitman as they apparently did.

Common sense would dictate that in order to keep the correct geometry, the idler and Pitman would have the same working length.

But what do I know,..I work for the phone company.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts