Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched through the horn relay problems and couldn't find my problem, While repairing the hideaways three wires were tucked up under the the fender with the relays. blue, white and large red. it looks like they would have attached to the rad support above the horn relay where guess what there is a blue, white and large red wire. The large red wire goes into a "resister" and comes out orange. I saw the picture of the horn relay and the wires that go into mine appear correct but in the shot there is a blue and white in the background. Upon further investigation I have now found a brown wire that was cut under the newer tape you can see in the pic. It is now attached to a red wire running under the rad support to the passenger headlight which was dim after hooking up the hideaways. I am attaching a couple pics for help.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
you should really get a new headlight harness, they're fairly inexpensive and you're not going to need to worry about the car catching fire.

Let me check my materials and see if I can figure it out for you.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I assume in past attempts to repair the hideaways there has been some creative wiring. All I can see is the wires around the relay. Everything else appears normal to my untrained eye.

·
Premium Member
12,510 Posts
Are you still running factory charging and external voltage regulator? If you are these would be the standard front harness wires. Blue brown and red with fusible link.

·
20,096 Posts
I see a horn relay but not a voltage regulator....or is it not in the pic ?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its been over 30 years since I have had my hands on a car I could work on, so lets see how my memory serves me.
There is no voltage regulator now, The brown wire (now spliced to red) runs to the alternator. I believe later alternators had the voltage regulator built in ? If I am right then the car has been rewired for this alternator. The wires that were cut and tucked away are of no further use ? I probably have a bad headlight since it was in and out 5 times.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you have a wiring schematic? I looked in mine, it is possible that those are the wires that go to the voltage regulator. There should be a blue, white and red wire that goes from the regulator to the alternator. Has someone replaced your alternator with an internal regulated alternator?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Brian, that looks like what has happened. I will just tape them up and tuck them away. Mystery solved for today.

Thanks guys I am sure in time you will have me educated !!
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
as you found out, it's for your regulator. Going from top to bottom, the wires on the regulator are blue, white, red, brown.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah got it. Dim headlight was broken ground wire for the headlight plug.
Thanks guys for the help.
Rick

·
Super Moderator
32,887 Posts
And it goes out with engine running?
Charging voltage across battery posts is above 13.8 volts?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Evey thing works as it should. That's why I never noticed anything on the 4 hour drive home when I bought it. It was just when I got into the hideaways that I found the wires. Funny thing though,my son has a friend who is an electrician and he said whoever did the wiring knew what they were doing, everything neat and in the right place.I wasn't there when he looked and never even asked him what he thought. He said no way a backyarder did it.

·
20,096 Posts
OK, glad you have it figured out :beers: Most of us who have done the Alt. upgrade just remove those wires not in use anymore ;)

Everything 014.jpg

I went back to the firewall/cowl and just re-ran the wires to the Alt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts