Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just made a purchase a few days ago.
1967 Camaro RS/SS 350 convertible 4-Speed an 12 Bolt axle. It is a numbers matching motor California car problem I’m having is went to buy spark plugs to local Autozone and they gave me the bigger plugs that don’t fit in the casting but the smaller diameter plug works well haven’t pulled valve covers heades are not double hump???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Let's see the other rivet on the VIN tag. The one that I can see is not a factory rivet. To me that means the VIN tag has been replaced and would worry me enough to not have purchased the car.

·
Premium Member
14,562 Posts
This partial VIN on the block, is all screwed up. It appears to be upside-down and it should be 7L144625.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rectangle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's see the other rivet on the VIN tag. The one that I can see is not a factory rivet. To me that means the VIN tag has been replaced and would worry me enough to not have purchased the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After doing a bit more research I have found out that super early cars built in Los plant are like this regarding the engine stamping guru Camaro guy says it is an extremely early production car and being really rare looks like you’d had passed up the deal. Lol

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
The vin tags been off. Your next step is to see if it belongs to this body. Check you hidden vins. Its a February car.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
OP

The rivets holding on the VIN plate on the A pillar jam are not factory (Rosette). If this was a out of state plated car that someone wanted to register/plate in CA it would have gone through a VIN check. At the DMV there is a form the inspector uses for this and under rivets it says "Rosette" or "Other". In your case it would be "Other" (read not factory) so a 2nd VIN verification would have been required. The 2nd VIN is under the cowl panel, PS (post#10). You need to remove windshield wipers and then the screws holding this panel on to see it. You "may" be able to read enough of it through the slits in cowl panel but typically you need to remove that panel to see clear enough. I believe there is a 3rd hidden VIN but not sure where (heater suitcase??)

This would verify if the VIN plate attached and the body are the same car...aka "numbers matching" relative to VIN & Body. The block stamping along with the one on rear end housing, PS (facing front of car) also. This would show date which would need to be before date of car on VIN. Typically a few weeks before the build date of car

With this said maybe a body shop just drilled out the VIN plate stock rivets to repaint the car (always a no no) and then just attached it with regular rivets. More scrupulous is to just cut the VIN and surrounding metal and then weld that to a "donor" car body that is not, lets say, a real SS/RS to preserve the Rosette rivets (although those can be cloned also)

In any event to answer your ? about spark plugs is the heads on the motor appear to have been replaced with a newer GM head. Those use the smaller spark plugs. Casting #'s would help identify what kind of heads they are.

The upside down stamping on the block is ?...but that is only applicable to the point of is this a "numbers matching" car. Unfortunately you have signals it is not so further looking on your part is needed.

There is noting wrong with a 1st gen car having a different motor or body that it was built with as long as the seller is accurate about that. Many 1st gens are not "#'s matching".

This link will help decode what #'s you have

CRG Visual ID 1967 Model HyperTable (camaros.org)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OP

The rivets holding on the VIN plate on the A pillar jam are not factory (Rosette). If this was a out of state plated car that someone wanted to register/plate in CA it would have gone through a VIN check. At the DMV there is a form the inspector uses for this and under rivets it says "Rosette" or "Other". In your case it would be "Other" (read not factory) so a 2nd VIN verification would have been required. The 2nd VIN is under the cowl panel, PS (post#10). You need to remove windshield wipers and then the screws holding this panel on to see it. You "may" be able to read enough of it through the slits in cowl panel but typically you need to remove that panel to see clear enough. I believe there is a 3rd hidden VIN but not sure where (heater suitcase??)

This would verify if the VIN plate attached and the body are the same car...aka "numbers matching" relative to VIN & Body. The block stamping along with the one on rear end housing, PS (facing front of car) also. This would show date which would need to be before date of car on VIN. Typically a few weeks before the build date of car

With this said maybe a body shop just drilled out the VIN plate stock rivets to repaint the car (always a no no) and then just attached it with regular rivets. More scrupulous is to just cut the VIN and surrounding metal and then weld that to a "donor" car body that is not, lets say, a real SS/RS to preserve the Rosette rivets (although those can be cloned also)

In any event to answer your ? about spark plugs is the heads on the motor appear to have been replaced with a newer GM head. Those use the smaller spark plugs. Casting #'s would help identify what kind of heads they are.

The upside down stamping on the block is ?...but that is only applicable to the point of is this a "numbers matching" car. Unfortunately you have signals it is not so further looking on your part is needed.

There is noting wrong with a 1st gen car having a different motor or body that it was built with as long as the seller is accurate about that. Many 1st gens are not "#'s matching".

This link will help decode what #'s you have

CRG Visual ID 1967 Model HyperTable (camaros.org)
On a Camaro numbers only forum there has been many early 1967s that block has been stamped the exact way mine is and I’m almost positive that it is a number matching block

·
16,029 Posts
On a Camaro numbers only forum there has been many early 1967s that block has been stamped the exact way mine is and I’m almost positive that it is a number matching block
Due to the fact the VIN tag has been off the body you don't know if you have a number matching car or not.

If the VIN tag does not match the Hidden VINs you have a problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Due to the fact the VIN tag has been off the body you don't know if you have a number matching car or not.

If the VIN tag does not match the Hidden VINs you have a problem.
I’m pretty sure it is a numbers matching car being I purchased it from the original owner I’m assuming reason being I found a 1970 registration under seat that has same name as title does today. But to clarify my head I will pull the call later this evening and will post photos as well. It has been in a garage since 1983 untouched as the ole man had the engine sent out to rebuild it and found out the it came back with different heads and left it untouched since the day I bought it. And soon will go under a minor resto to respect the orig body panels and bright work that is in 100% rust free condition even the bottom of fenders doors have not a bubble. Geeessshhh

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
My comment just said the block # is in "?" (since the VIN plate raised the flag on "#'s matching")...given it is not normal for it to be upside down, that's all. It may very well be the stock "block" and whatever 411 you discovered about "early" 67's could have this.

The CRG link I sent will assist you in decoding other #'s to support the term "#'s matching"

You do have non original heads so if you want the car to be verified and look like its #'s matching you could buy older heads with a date code before the build date and put those on.

Buying the car from original owner is good support. If he had motor rebuilt at some point, no big deal. The VIN tag being put on with non stock rivets will ALWAYS raise ?'s so to clear that dust up just remove the cowl and take a pic of the body VIN. Ideally it matches and you know for sure

Hope you enjoy your new ride and will find this forum helpful.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My comment just said the block # is in "?" (since the VIN plate raised the flag on "#'s matching")...given it is not normal for it to be upside down, that's all. It may very well be the stock "block" and whatever 411 you discovered about "early" 67's could have this.

The CRG link I sent will assist you in decoding other #'s to support the term "#'s matching"

You do have non original heads so if you want the car to be verified and look like its #'s matching you could buy older heads with a date code before the build date and put those on.

Buying the car from original owner is good support. If he had motor rebuilt at some point, no big deal. The VIN tag being put on with non stock rivets will ALWAYS raise ?'s so to clear that dust up just remove the cowl and take a pic of the body VIN. Ideally it matches and you know for sure

Hope you enjoy your new ride and will find this forum helpful.
Thanks for the help and getting me in to going this deep. As if you didn’t I would have never even give a second look. Thank you

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,166 Posts
Pete, Post a link to the website/forum you're referring too. I believe Roger is correct in his earlier reply about the "L" being in the wrong position. I'm sure it's possible to be a mistake but I haven't seen that documented anywhere. I also question the motor being returned from a builder with the wrong heads without an explanation as to why. The complete motor may have been switched out without the owner being aware.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts