Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 40 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
CRG
4,714 Posts
Carefully removed the paint from the area with the engine stampings. Do not use anything abrasive. Lacquer thinner on a rag works. Then post an updated pic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Pete, Post a link to the website/forum you're referring too. I believe Roger is correct in his earlier reply about the "L" being in the wrong position. I'm sure it's possible to be a mistake but I haven't seen that documented anywhere. I also question the motor being returned from a builder with the wrong heads without an explanation as to why. The complete motor may have been switched out without the owner being aware.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Pete, Post a link to the website/forum you're referring too. I believe Roger is correct in his earlier reply about the "L" being in the wrong position. I'm sure it's possible to be a mistake but I haven't seen that documented anywhere. I also question the motor being returned from a builder with the wrong heads without an explanation as to why. The complete motor may have been switched out without the owner being aware.
Regarding the block partial VIN, it's uncommon but been seen from time to time on LOS 67s. Stamped with 7L or occasionally L7.... It's been mentioned on the CRG site.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
After doing a bit more research I have found out that super early cars built in Los plant are like this regarding the engine stamping guru Camaro guy says it is an extremely early production car and being really rare looks like you’d had passed up the deal. Lol

There is nothing early about a 3rd week Feb 67 Camaro built at LOS. I've got a Nov 66 built LOS so I don't know who told you it was an early build.

·
Premium Member
14,566 Posts
Regarding the block partial VIN, it's uncommon but been seen from time to time on LOS 67s. Stamped with 7L or occasionally L7.... It's been mentioned on the CRG site.
Never thought I would see the day when CRG would open the door to counterfeit engine ID pad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes it has on really early cars and it’s a good thing to know for future reference. Learning new on the daily here. But am surly getting to the cowl numbers tomorrow and will certainly post pics. As well.
maybe you e haven’t seen as many or have the technical part of searching the history ? Jus saying my 2cents I as well could be wrong but if you e seen at the least 3-5. 1967 Cali built cars as I have in this week alone not to mention what the numbers are for the CRG guys I’m a believer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Never thought I would see the day when CRG would open the door to counterfeit engine ID pad.
I my self have not a knowledge on theese Camaro’s but in this week I e seen posts of at the least 3-5 guys asking questioning and picturing there partial engine pad VIN that’s screwed up as the same as mine to exact almost and not to mention a dual round rivet car ??? If I’ve witnessed this in such a short time imagine what the CRG guys have seen. ??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@Kurt S please help
@bcm66 here you go along with cowl removed and partial vin stamped as well. Later today if I get the time I’ll crawl under it and get axle and Muncie #s photos as well thanks for Intrest

Attachments

·
16,033 Posts
Looking closely the "L" stamped on the block appears to be a "7" not an "L"?

I think it is probable the shop swapped engines and attempted to re-stamp. However they messed up. This would also perhaps explain the wrong heads.

Wood Font Brick Art Rectangle

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Most certainly makes sense but there are other cars that are clear across the country that have been built in the same plant and close build dates that suffer the same issue to exact ??? Me too on the 50/50 but it is what it is the original owners son said that he found some parts in the garage as the ole man passed and I’m hoping it’s heads

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I my self have not a knowledge on theese Camaro’s but in this week I e seen posts of at the least 3-5 guys asking questioning and picturing there partial engine pad VIN that’s screwed up as the same as mine to exact almost and not to mention a dual round rivet car ??? If I’ve witnessed this in such a short time imagine what the CRG guys have seen. ??
You see several posts about VIN verification because SO many 1st gens have been cloned, especially in the SS, RS, Z models.

Your motor stamp looks very "fresh" for a rebuilt motor (typically the stamped #'s are very vague on those because the block was decked for rebuild and become harder to see). As noted the "L" stamp appears to be a #7 stamp upside down. Maybe this is a Monday (hangover) build car and the guy on the line just grabbed the wrong punch...(). Or unfortunately what happens more than not is someone tried to restamp a donor block

Your cowl VIN matches the VIN plate #'s which is good....maybe the line person just used more force in stamping. Often these old cars have been painted a few times over the years so the different paint colors/layers tend to fill in the stampings

Its good you are drilling down to verify what you actually have.

The round rivets though are not factory.....but with this said I have talked to a guy who worked on the line in the LOS plant and while he knew which bolt would have a star, flat or lock washer....he is also a little "off" so human error has likely happened in various forms building these and any car.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
OP

This is what I can see on the CRG site about your cowl tag...unless I misinterpreted something

O2C-Build: February, 3rd week

S-Day: 19th day of February (date build was “scheduled”, may have been built a few days later)

224- this was the 224th Fisher Body car built on 2/19 at the LOS plant that day (not necessarily the 224th Camaro though on that day. Each day this # starts at 1))

ST 67-12467

ST-Style code

67-model year

12-coupe

4-V8 (could be 327 or 350)

67-Convertible

LOS- Los Angeles plant

995-Body#, not VIN# (Fisher body 995th built)

760-Bucket seat, black

Z-A50 Strato Standard Bucket seat

R-Bolero Red exterior color

1-(EDIT) white stripe (front) with white convertible top

E-Tinted all glass

2LG-4 speed (M20 or 21), console

3L-Rally Sport

4P-L48 or L30/M20. SS 350 with radius rod

5Y-Deluxe Seat Belts

Your engine may not be original and it could have been a L30/M20 car. Very cool if that is true as the "4P' designation says it could either be a L48 (350) or L30 (327/275hp). Ideally the engine # can be verified to see which one it is

When you check rear end #'s look for a rod that is connected to the PS of rear end and goes to front PS leaf spring mount. That would be a radius rod, should be round rod).

Maybe the VIN tag was just removed for paint. The cowl tag looks unmolested and the 2nd VIN under cowl if same as VIN tag that would mean the car is what the cowl says...just what engine is in it now is TBD vs what it came with

If it all checks out it is a bitchen car. I personally would like the L30/M20

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
John, The OP included the link to CRG in post #23.

Yep, and that is likely the best one as Kurt S was on the discussion. You can run an advanced search in the forums and find more. Member Mike S at the site has an original April car with the same odd stamp.

Here's another one I had seen and saved, assuming it's not a fake. Hard to tell with the paint, and I don't claim to be a stampings expert

Paint Orange Wood Brick Art

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Looking closely the "L" stamped on the block appears to be a "7" not an "L"?

I think it is probable the shop swapped engines and attempted to re-stamp. However they messed up. This would also perhaps explain the wrong heads.

View attachment 283975
That for sure is an upside down 7. And sure looks like a restamp of some sort. There is a very light 5 in there as well.

And that cowl stamp looks like it was stamp by a gorilla to me. Never seen one that deep before.

I for sure would have passed on this car.

Wood Brick Font Art Flooring

21 - 40 of 166 Posts