Team Camaro Tech banner
61 - 80 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
CRG
4,714 Posts
Partial VIN stamped on the block seems fine?

Really

View attachment 283992

I missed the note about the upside down 7, used as an L. Or the note about the partial VIN being upside down.
Who are you and what do you think you know? lol

Do you think CRG is going to makes notes for every little inconsistency or difference. Nope.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,990 Posts
Not certain but I thought the L30 blocks didn't get a partial VIN stamp in 67, just 302, 350s and up.

I believe the 67 VIN tag rivets that looked almost round rather than rosette were still stainless, so wouldn't be rusty and would otherwise look similar to the rosette.
Good point and I totally agree on the VIN rivets. Will be interesting to see if there's a partial VIN on the trans...

·
Premium Member
CRG
4,714 Posts
Curious?

With the L that looks like a 7 and the faint 5 under and to the left of the deeper stamped 5 what makes you feel it's a good stamp? Add to that the wrong heads.
Experience. I gave an opinion. That does NOT guarantee that I am correct.

Reactions: Rossterman

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I truly appreciate everyone chiming in and sharing there opinions greatly do. And yes I have read somewhere that only 350-302s were stamped for 67. Tried to crawl under it tonight and jus couldn’t get in the right position so I’ll move my GT500 out in driveway and park it in garage put it up in the air find castings and whatever else to share with y’all. Tha
Is to all

·
Premium Member
14,563 Posts
Who are you and what do you think you know? lol

Do you think CRG is going to makes notes for every little inconsistency or difference. Nope.
I am a 55 year original owner of a 67 Camaro. I have found a long time ago, CRG is not always right. The CRG forum (which I am a member) is no better than this site. CRG is a great site and I am always referring people to that site for the information they have. A screwed up engine ID number, is not a little inconsistency.
Camaros made in LOS were inspected before being delivered like they were in NOR. Do you honestly think they would allow someone stamping ID numbers, to do the ID work, any way they like?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ahhh, a spirited “is it a re-stamp” debate, and now the ALL CAPS responses have come out - feels like I’m back on the Corvette Forum or the NCRS forum (65 Corvette owner here, with all of those numbers) :)

where’s John Hinckley when you need him - God rest his soul, what a great guy.

regarding the engine pad stamp, upside down vin derivative and a “7” used in place of an “L”:

1. broach marks look good on that pad, if block was decked the engine builder went to great lengths to recreate those at the engine rebuild shop. The fact that they painted the damn thing blue, and put incorrect heads on it, should easily rule out some kind of big counterfeit caper IF the “purchased from the original owner” story is true. I have looked at many counterfeit restamp efforts, the broach marks from an original pad are the hardest thing to get right.

2. over on the C2 Corvette forums (where folks have been studying and revealing faked pads for over 25 years now) you will learn that Jimmy Jones working on the assembly line back in the late 60s frequently did things like use letters for numbers, totally screwed up the stamp, banged the fixture twice, etc. (although an upside vin derivative is pretty unusual - but certainly possible). Engine stamping was NOT a quality control item, and they had no idea how much importance future collectors would place on them. They even got the die grinder out and ground out / restamped mistakes on the spot.

3. maybe I missed it but did the OP pull off the valve covers, check the part number / date code and figure what heads are on there? Could also tie that work to a date, and support that whole story.

4. I hope the OP didn’t buy this car for an original, unmolested gem price and only then decide to start confirming things. Engine painted Ford blue? C’mon now . . .

all of this is just my own humble opinion, please don’t take it personally or challenge me to a duel

·
Premium Member
CRG
4,714 Posts
I am a 55 year original owner of a 67 Camaro. I have found a long time ago, CRG is not always right. The CRG forum (which I am a member) is no better than this site. CRG is a great site and I am always referring people to that site for the information they have. A screwed up engine ID number, is not a little inconsistency.
Camaros made in LOS were inspected before being delivered like they were in NOR. Do you honestly think they would allow someone stamping ID numbers, to do the ID work, any way they like?
Screw ups happened a lot. So how many original 67-69 engine stampings have you seen? I have seen thousands.

Reactions: Petes L48

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Partial VIN on a Muncie 4 speed transmission in a 1967 Camaro will usually either be on the passenger side near the rear part of the main case or on top of the main case.

The axle code will be stamped on the front edge of the passenger side axle tube.
Partial VIN on a Muncie 4 speed transmission in a 1967 Camaro will usually either be on the passenger side near the rear part of the main case or on top of the main case.

The axle code will be stamped on the front edge of the passenger side axle tube.
OK Guys Happy thanksgiving to all you and as not most guys but me being a car guy and loosing sleep over this 1967 Camaro RS/SS Convertible L48 Muncie 4speed car I’m in the garage. Lol not to mention and the wife says I’m in love with this thing as well. Here’s what I found and pay attention to the Mystery 7 (aka) L…..
Automotive tire Water Grey Road surface Wood
Tire Automotive tire Tread Road surface Wheel
Grey Font Automotive tire Auto part Monochrome photography
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Bumper

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Ahhh, a spirited “is it a re-stamp” debate, and now the ALL CAPS responses have come out - feels like I’m back on the Corvette Forum or the NCRS forum (65 Corvette owner here, with all of those numbers) :)

where’s John Hinckley when you need him - God rest his soul, what a great guy.

regarding the engine pad stamp, upside down vin derivative and a “7” used in place of an “L”:

1. broach marks look good on that pad, if block was decked the engine builder went to great lengths to recreate those at the engine rebuild shop. The fact that they painted the damn thing blue, and put incorrect heads on it, should easily rule out some kind of big counterfeit caper IF the “purchased from the original owner” story is true. I have looked at many counterfeit restamp efforts, the broach marks from an original pad are the hardest thing to get right.

2. over on the C2 Corvette forums (where folks have been studying and revealing faked pads for over 25 years now) you will learn that Jimmy Jones working on the assembly line back in the late 60s frequently did things like use letters for numbers, totally screwed up the stamp, banged the fixture twice, etc. (although an upside vin derivative is pretty unusual - but certainly possible). Engine stamping was NOT a quality control item, and they had no idea how much importance future collectors would place on them. They even got the die grinder out and ground out / restamped mistakes on the spot.

3. maybe I missed it but did the OP pull off the valve covers, check the part number / date code and figure what heads are on there? Could also tie that work to a date, and support that whole story.

4. I hope the OP didn’t buy this car for an original, unmolested gem price and only then decide to start confirming things. Engine painted Ford blue? C’mon now . . .

all of this is just my own humble opinion, please don’t take it personally or challenge me to a duel
I’m the op to let you know paid $17.5 for it reason I purchased it for the convertible and the fact that it has all original sheet metal with not 1 rust hole or body/floor Roth anywhere and the exception of a right front fender that was replaced in the late 70s as I was told when asked bye the original owners son. Poped in a set of spark plugs/wires fresh battery fired right up and idled replaced gas tank and it moves on its own power drives down the street all gears working brakes need attention. Cosmetic resto needed paint/interior but I love this car allready

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·

·
Premium Member
67 Camaro Convertible SS/RS (non-matching)
268 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Same axle code I have,QL = 3.31 non-posi.
Question, Cowl says 3rd week of Feb and if I read right axle is March 27, Detroit axle and gear 2nd shift.

First off I’m not a big #s guy especially when it comes to GM but from what I’ve learned in the past week is that the fisher tag (cowl tag) is an order date and everything from there is 1week to 90days maximum??

·
Registered
557 Posts

I doubt it's ford blue. It is probably mid 1970's GM corporate blue, with the smaller plug hole heads that were introduced in the early-mid 70's when HEI came out. This is why the block is probably a re-stamp (besides the faint numeral 5 which was stamped over).

My guess is that one of the heads will have a 3998993, 3951598, 3998997, 3973487 or 14022601 casting number based on what looks like the casting mark on the front of the head.

OP: good luck with your car either way, and who cares if it isn't really a number's matching car.......

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I doubt it's ford blue. It is probably mid 1970's GM corporate blue, with the smaller plug hole heads that were introduced in the early-mid 70's when HEI came out. This is why the block is probably a re-stamp (besides the faint numeral 5 which was stamped over).

My guess is that one of the heads will have a 3998993, 3951598, 3998997, 3973487 or 14022601 casting number based on what looks like the casting mark on the front of the head.

OP: good luck with your car either way, and who cares if it isn't really a number's matching car.......
Thank you brother and yes I will enjoy it to the fullest as it’s my 2nd gen1 Camaro ever I’ve owned more the 40 older cars in my 40yrs of driving the 1st was 1969 307 Auto H.T coupe stolen in 1992 not a trace since? But it is pretty weired how the # 7 (L) on trans is same as engine block pad. And regards the heads I was told that it under went a top end rebuild and machine shop returned theese heads and was never ran since then in 1983. I purchased it had no plugs or wires but looks really fresh you can tell the engine was painted while in car as there some blue over spray on front cross member but not on exh manifolds. I’ve since replaced gas tank spark plugs runs like a too

61 - 80 of 166 Posts