Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
gorgeous........congrats.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments. I am pleased with the way the car is coming out and will (one day) actually be finished.

The color is Dark Bright Sapphire Blue Metallic - a '96 or '97 Ford Probe color. I used the Dupont varient which is darker and less purple than the other manufacturers' formula.

Once the interior is in and done (1967 factory Camaro Parchment but using Standard panels and deluxe seats) the final question is stripe or not to stripe.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, I agree the dash is awesome! We actually just setup an account with Covan's and we are now a distributor for thier dashes! We are able to sell them a little cheaper AND......They are supposed to release the 69 Camaro dash in about 6 weeks! It will also include the correct radio hole and Heater holes! Anyone who is interested just let me know!

·
Registered
161 Posts
No website yet but we do have them currently on sale for $99.95!!! You will need to cut the holes yourself! They do it that way so you can use whatever gauges you want and put them where you want. We do also sell them complete with gauges and wiring harness if you are interested!

Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
Will two 5 inch face guages (tach and speedo) fit in there?

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey quickchevy

Will two 5 inch face guages (tach and speedo) fit in there?

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am totally interested in a replacement pod like this for my 69. Totally!!!! Shoot me more info if you have it via e-mail.

Dude, what a sweet Camaro, really nice. I have been researching boats lately, looks like you got the Gaffrig gauges from a boat, eh? They seem to be popular from what I have read. Great job on the dash, and the rest of the car. Looks incredible.

One point, probably not an issue at all with the injection, but I had some issues with a low compression Big Block years ago. It really wanted alot of gasoline. Kind of a pain to tune, due pretty much entirely to low compression. I was running a little under 8:1. Just something to consider, I am sure the MercCruiser is setup just right. Man, that thing is going to fly!

Mark

------------------
69 SS, ZZ430 Look-alike, Tremec TKO, Hotchkis Suspension

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brad74 - I do not think that two 5" gauges will fit but I am not sure. I have seen the pod done with two 3" gauges and my 5" tach just fit in the center but I am not sure that the room is there. The pod itself is smaller than you think. I originally wanted to use my 5" tach and four 2 5/8 guages, but there is just not enough room at the top.

For the record, I cut the holes for the gauges with an exacto knife after scribing the pattern with a compass. I cut from the back and took my time - holesaws of the proper size were just not around and the pod was soft enough to make this an easy cut with a sharp knife.

Mean 69 - I have heard that Covan is coming out with a 69 dash and I know that DS&E has an awesome piece. The Gaffrig gauges are marine pieces made by Livorsi.

If anyone gets to looking, the Gaffrig gauges are of the same size and quality as Autometer gauges but are available with colored outer bezels if you want to do something different.

The low compression on the Mercury Racing HP500 EFI is not much of a problem although it is hard to get used to an engine that prefers mid grade to premium. The EFI is limited by it's design in that it does not use an O2 sensor. It is fat enough though that a dry nitrous kit is plenty safe.

On a technical (boat) point - Mercruiser and Mercury Racong are different companies. The HP500 EFI in the Camaro is an Factory 1 / Factory 2 spec race engine and is available for competition use only (although it was a production piece in the past). It is nice as a 502, but will be better as a 540...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Which ECU do you have? If its the MEFI3, I can add o2 feedback for you.

Also that EFI looks alot like my arizona speed BB TPI manifold. Does merc make that upper or does ASM?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heretic,

It is MEFI3 - you and I discussed your programming in the spring but you were busy with other projects and the EFI stuff was on the back burner at the time. You should email me with what you can do and how much flexibilty you have with the MEFI3 ECU.

For the record, the intake is AS&M built for Mercury Racing and although similar is somewhat or somehow different enough to be proprietary to Mercury. Go figure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I built a custom center section for my 68 to mount 3 auto meter gauges, a cd player and vintage air's streamline controller. Should be painted soon.
check out www.touringcamaro.com/dash.htm

------------------
Budget Pro-touring 68.
www.touringcamaro.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts