Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching through the threads, it seems like this is a pain point for quite a few people.
I just bought this car a couple days ago and one of the main things I don't like and want to change asap is the shifter location.
For me it's to short and to far forward, I need to lean forward in order to shift to first or third.
Forgive me if these are dumb questions, I'm a noob when it comes to Camaros still.

What I do know:
Originally an AT car. - Now Saginaw 4sp.
Originally a 6cyl car - Now SBC 350.
It appears the PO use the hot wrench to make final adjustments on the shifter I have.

The shifter location in the console is good, shifter stick and final location of the shift handle is not.
I looked to see if I could get to the numbers on the stick itself, I couldn't see any. I may have to remove it from the car in order to find the numbers?

If I do get a longer more swept back stick, how does the leather boot work? I haven't seen any others with the spring mechanism that holds the top of the boot up.

However, I was hoping someone on here might already know which one I should order to have the shifter about 2" taller and 2" further back.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Hood
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Gear shift
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Train
Fixture Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Road surface Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been searching through the threads, it seems like this is a pain point for quite a few people.
I just bought this car a couple days ago and one of the main things I don't like and want to change asap is the shifter location.
For me it's to short and to far forward, I need to lean forward in order to shift to first or third.
Forgive me if these are dumb questions, I'm a noob when it comes to Camaros still.

What I do know:
Originally an AT car. - Now Saginaw 4sp.
Originally a 6cyl car - Now SBC 350.
It appears the PO use the hot wrench to make final adjustments on the shifter I have.

The shifter location in the console is good, shifter stick and final location of the shift handle is not.
I looked to see if I could get to the numbers on the stick itself, I couldn't see any. I may have to remove it from the car in order to find the numbers?

If I do get a longer more swept back stick, how does the leather boot work? I haven't seen any others with the spring mechanism that holds the top of the boot up.

However, I was hoping someone on here might already know which one I should order to have the shifter about 2" taller and 2" further back.

View attachment 280976 View attachment 280977 View attachment 280978 View attachment 280979 View attachment 280980 View attachment 280982 View attachment 280983 View attachment 280984
67 used a 4106 I believe and may need some heat to bend it closer to driver side a bit. You also have a 68-69 console. Do a search on hurst shifter sticks.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,425 Posts
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Wheel Steering part

I think you need a **** lever that hooks back and is a little taller. Its a PITA to find one that feels right because everyone sits differently in their cars because of their height, leg length and arm length. This was my setup, its an easy reach but I changed to one that was 1/4" taller and slightly less angled.

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
67 used a 4106 I believe and may need some heat to bend it closer to driver side a bit. You also have a 68-69 console. Do a search on hurst shifter sticks.
Thanks for the info! I did find stick should be 4106 in a 67 on the other threads. This doesn't appear to be in the same position as others have shown using the 4106 or maybe it is?
I didn't even realize this was a 68-69 console yet. I do plan on replacing it at some point. However, for now it's about 20th on the list.

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you need a **** lever that hooks back and is a little taller. Its a PITA to find one that feels right because everyone sits differently in their cars because of their height, leg length and arm length. This was my setup, its an easy reach but I changed to one that was 1/4" taller and slightly less angled.
That looks like what I'm looking for! What lever is that? Is it on a Saginaw in your car in this pic?

I wish I was just looking for a 1/4", I'm looking for inches or it would be further down on my priority list for now.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Here’s a doc that came with my shifter. The stick comes up exactly where it needs to. No mods to factory auto shifter hole or stick. Stick appears to be p/n 238-4106.
Font Material property Art Paper Pattern

1 - 8 of 8 Posts