Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can anyone help please/i have just put the engine in the car/ i am now assembling the alternator which is a 1970 model /lower and upper GM brackets are in place/ the upper bracket is to high to meet the alternator bolt hole/ it is also 3/4 of an inch away from the alternator if the bolt could meet. i have the 67 winters intake and am sure the alternator brackets are correct/was there a special l78 alternator ? or maybe something else is misplaced, I have strugged to find a decent correct 67 l78 picture of an engine for reference which shows an alternator set up.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Re: 1967 l78 alternator set up/ please help

There was noughing special about the alternator. Just bigger pulley. Lower bracket should be bolted to the front of the head and 1 on side of head above exhaust bolts. Kind of like a corner bracket. Top bolts to the water pump bolt and the other to the intake boss. All on the driver side. Alternator adjustment then bolts in slot on right side of upper bracket, towards rear of car. Looking at it from fender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

rechecked /everything is i place/ i have done a lot of cars/ i just dont get it

·
Premium Member
926 Posts

Did you put the spacer in the bottom mount of the altenator behind the altenator?

·
Registered
931 Posts

Richard are you doing the 67 style or the 69 style setup? Will try to post pics tomarrow and setup link.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

sir /no i did not put a spacer in the bottom mount/ would you know the size/ i did not realize there is a spacer between the alternator and mount.. I purchased this 67 l78 in peices and boxes that had been stored for 20 years/there were quite a few parts taken over this period of time/ so for the past 2 years i have purchased hopefully the correct parts.it has been a jigsaw puzzle as in the boxes were also 68/69/70 parts also.i am at the end of the restoration now,so i am tripping up on one or two items.i have the original build sheet and protecto plate/ so i feel it s been worthwhile. thanks Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

i am doing the 67 setup but with a 70 alternator/ as i have struggled to find 67 l78 alternator/ the car was in many boxes which sat for 20 years/unfortunatley the alternator was taken. thanks Richard

·
Premium Member
926 Posts

I don't have a measurement for the spacer. Do you have the AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual)? I have the '68 version. But if you look in the UPC L35 section, you will find a page about how the alternator (generator) is mounted. I never had the spacer, either. But I'm swapping out chrome mounts for "correct" repro brackets. The kit came w/ the hardware. Here is the hardware that came w/ it:

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=camaro6769&Product_Code=BZ-117

I can dig through my parts box (haven't pulled my engine, yet) and measure it if you want...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thanks for your help/ i have located a spacer/i will fit tomorrow and see if it makes a difference/i cannot see how it can though/ many thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well guys/ i have found the problem/ i have put 67 corvette bigblock lower alternator bracket on/oops i did not realize they were different from camaro. many thanks to all that have posted ther veiws. Long live TEAM CAMARO. cheers Richard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts