Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I know I want a 68 first 67 second but find a 69 should I settle?

I'm thinking I'll continue to wait for a 68, I've got 10K cash and have been looking hard to find the right car.

I was hoping to find a 68 decent motor, decent interior and decent paint. That I can have fun in and progress on a restoration in my own time.

Your thoughts?

Jason

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
settle on the 69
its the better year to own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
probally should just be patient and wait for the 68..it will come!! just hang in there!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen plenty two states away.... One is the 68 I posted in what's it worth.

It had PS, PB, looked clean but is in Tennessee and 2800 more than I want to spend.

One of my problems is, I don't have the experience to know what I'm looking at. I need someone to help me that's been around the block. To help me when I see one I "REALLY" like.

In texas there are two 69's. but they look a bit rough and are 11,000 and 12,000.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
A couple of years ago those 69s would have sold for 20,000. With the economy down you can get some pretty good buys on all three years. I owned several 69s over the years and when I sold my last one I was looking for a 69 project. At that time everyone thought they could get BJ prices for their cars. So I dropped down to a 68. I picked it up in the same ballpark as you are looking and have slowly worked at it. I am not into show cars anymore and just wanted a nice cruise night car. I had to replace the rear trunk pan and frame rails but I managed to do that for a reasonable price and all new sheet metal. Now it is a real fun car. See the picture in my signature. I think you will be able to get "more" car for your money in a 68.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i think if you really want a 68 then get a 68 either way there all sweet cars but yes we all do have our own preference. it took me a long time to find the right one but mine was just for a frame off with as much factory metal still intact as possible. i think youll find a pretty nice 68 for that kind of money right now w the market being down. maybe not a show car but a sweet drive around not woried too much about getting a little road dirt on fun car!!! Good luck man keep us posted. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you have your heart and mind set on a 68, then get a 68, Dont settle, you will not truly be happy witht the car. You might jump on a nice 69 driver, and do some trading. As far not knowing what to look for, post pics and questions here. If you were closer to KY, I would look at cars with you all day long...

·
Super Moderator
32,346 Posts
You've done well Grasshopper, '68 is the correct year.........HA!

I believe the answer is how much patience you have to look/research for a '68 and how bad the money is burning a hole in your pocket. Any year of 1st Gen is good to own, just depends on how you would like it to be optioned.

Make a list of those options, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices, and continue looking.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
hows a all original 1968 camaro island teal inline 6 with 46k... orig car untouched in mint conditon with orig paint sound ??
pm me for the glorious details...

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
68, 67, 69, 70 1/2, 2010-11 is my choice of order...
I almost agree with the years in order above. But my choice would be 68, 69, 67, 70, 2010-11.

If its a 68 you want, then wait to find the right one. :thumbsup:

Prices are down, so keep looking.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I thought they stopped making real Camaro's after 67??????

J/K. Sorry but I just couldn't resist. Like stated above we all have our favorite year(s). I've owned 6 67's, 2 68's and 2 69's so you can see what year I prefer.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Hey Jason...go with the mid kid.

You answered your own question when you wrote..."settle". Go with your heart on this one... just be patient, eh?

capt

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I thought they stopped making real Camaro's after 67??????

J/K. Sorry but I just couldn't resist. Like stated above we all have our favorite year(s). I've owned 6 67's, 2 68's and 2 69's so you can see what year I prefer.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
I love all 3 first gens for different reasons. I have owned a 71 and a 68, but I have always wanted a 69 so I am holding out and not settling. Owning a 68 and a 69 at the same time is the dream. There are things I prefer about both years and I don't think one is better than the other, they are both special and should both be appreciated for their unique differences. For me the interior on the 68 kills the 69 and I like the body lines of the 68 as well. However there is a mystique about the 69 that I just can't shake, perhaps because it was a one year only style, or the fact that it had unlimited options. But If I had to pick only one year it would be 69. But go for the 68 if that is what you like. You will never go wrong with any first gen Camaro! That's a fact!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I almost pulled the trigger on a 67 saturday night. I had a few beers in me and the "SIC67" had a buy it now price of $13,000. I told myself to wait until I was sober to ratianlize what I was doing. The next morning someone clicked the "Buy it Now" before I could. This 67 was lime green with black racing stripes. It has a 350CI motor with I'm guessing a 200 shot of nitrous, 411 gears and th350. tthe body was clean and had not rust bubbles or wholes that I could tell. Shipping would have been about $908. as it was in Reno, NV. So I didn't get it but I thought it was the "ONE".

I went on a drive yesterday to clear my head. I was riding with a bunch of my friends them in their classics me in my modern day challenger and I just didn't fit in drove the rear of the 10 car pack. We had lunch at Mr. Beaux's in Anderson, TX.....

I passed cause the color, this waiting for the one I want is killing me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems like great advise Tony but the market now is extremely dry, let me ask you this most listings on ebay require a deposit. Would everyone put a deposit on a car they think would be a good car and then pick it up in person. Once I find the car I've got susually 48 hours to provide that deposit. That should give me enough time to drive down / up or sideways to look at a car.

I'm now up to about $13,000. and still cannot find a suitable car in my opinion. So I'm still looking and still collecting money.

Jason

1 - 20 of 39 Posts