Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our first gen Firebird had a hood bow issue but I dont think accident damage has any part on it.
The hood will sit flush in the back corners, and the hood will sit flush in the front corners, but along the side edges at the fender, it sits up about a quarter inch high on each side.
Is this a normal Factory problem? And how would one go about straightening this out?

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
My ‘68 Firebird original GM hood is the same way. Doubt it left the factory that way but rather bowed from 54 years of use. I suppose they can be straightened if a guy has enough experience in doing that sort of thing. I learned to live with mine.

Reactions: Hotrodjohn71

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
My ‘68 Firebird original GM hood is the same way. Doubt it left the factory that way but rather bowed from 54 years of use. I suppose they can be straightened if a guy has enough experience in doing that sort of thing. I learned to live with mine.
I think it happens from opening and closing the hood for many years. The hood springs are incredibly strong, so each time closing the hood, puts stress on the hood just ahead of the hinges.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I'm not a body guy, so this is just an assumption. With the inner fenders removed you could attach turnbuckles or ratchet straps to carefully pull down on the hood frame in the raised area . Maybe you would have to put relief cuts on the hood frame and weld them back in after straightening.

·
Registered
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
39 Posts
My family has owned and operated paint & body shops that started in the 30's. This may sound strange but I have seen situations like this in the past with improper body panel alignment.
Believe it or not, a body man would take a something like a 2X4X4 and place it in each of the front corners of the hood on the core support and by gently pressing in the center of the hood on the outer edge a little. Remove the blocks check alignment and repeat it if warranted until it is correct. You will want to go at it easy and not try to correct it with one push at the bow.

·
Registered
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
39 Posts
Sounds like Blitzer454 already answered. Sorry, I didn't read all of the replies before I replied...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts