Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will probably be a slow build but figured a build thread may keep me motivated (along with being able to drive the car again :D)

Bought the car 2 summers ago. I bought it from a younger guy that was selling it for college money. Best I can tell is he was getting his dads old cast offs to put into his camaro. Car was advertised on criaglist as a 383 muncie car. Turned out to be a low compression 350 and super t-10. I spotted the motor and obvious trans differences and we worked out a pretty good deal on the car. I wasnt originally looking for a camaro because most were out of my price range, I was really just on the look out for a malibu or nova (seem to be a bit cheaper at the time) but this popped up and I had to go take a look. My mom has a 67 rs/ss she bought in 1973 that I grew up with so finding a cheapish camaro was great.

First day we got it home

Love at first site for my Daughter

So it had 350 with 76cc heads, super t-10, non posi 10 bolt with 2.72 gears and cragers with little back spacing. The wheels were bent and the lug holes were all wallowed out.

The interior was in decent shape, minus the front seats. Found some front seats on craiglist and set out to clean up the interior. The car didnt get driven much and mostly sat in the garage collecting dust.
old seats

new seats and some interior shots

to be continued...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Better pic of it when we first got it.

First order I made was for 3.55's a posi and new wheels and tires AR vintage t70r 15x7 and 15x8 with 225/60/15 and 255/6015 radial t/a's
Under side is clean

New wheels before I tracked down tires

old vs new

My little helper again

2.72 pinion vs 3.55 pinion

I decided to buy a 68 console, because I liked how the gauges mounted better. I went to all autometer gauges. None of the original stuff was working/it was all just lights no gauges.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Found some OEM trim on craigslist.

And that is about where I got derailed and changed plans a little bit. I was driving the car and totally blew a shift and way over revved the motor. Tossed the belts, made the water pump start leaking, and developed a pretty good vibration in the motor over 2k rpm. Since installing the gauges, I wasnt to impressed with the oil pressure anyway so plans to rebuild started. Time to build a real 383. I got talking to my grandpa and he had some parts laying and decided he was going to help me out. He had a short block built for me. Forged bottom in with an ohio crank, ross 12cc dome pistons and h beam scat rods. I am still deciding on what heads to run. Plan is to build a e85 motor with the 12cc dome pistons.
old motor

New short block

So now with the motor rebuild I have decided to take the car off the road and build it how I want to. I have gotten into auto cross since buying the car so I am switching gears to that. So I sold the AR wheels and picked up a set of v48 vintage wheel works wheels. 17x8 in the front and 17x9.5 in the back.

Car has multi leafs and traction bars in back. Plan is to give those to my mom for her camaro and Current plan is a speedtech torque arm in the back. May switch to the a 4 link though havent decided. Also was planning on just upper tubular arms for the front but last weekend when dissembling the front suspension the lower ball joints just fell out of the arms. So needing new arms anyway I am looking to add coil overs and lowers as well. Car has 4 wheel drums from the factory. So I bought s-10 rear disc brakes off ebay and am adding c3 brakes to the front. Still staying manual brakes with a corvette master. Rear brakes were really straight forward. Just bolted on and I reflared the stock lines.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only problem with the s-10 brakes is the ebrake cable bracket is right behind the shock mount. Not sure if that is a problem with stock shock mounts, the traction bars may stick out more.
On to the front brakes. I bought reproduction jl-8 caliper brackets and trimmed the anchor pin boss down .625 of an inch. I still need to get rotors and calipers and make sure it will all fit

Still need to get new bolts for the upper bolt holes.

After disassembling the front suspension and finding loose bolts, no cotter pins and other misc things, I am kind of glad I hurt the motor and decided to stop driving it. I really should have went through the whole car before driving it. So now that is what I am doing. Decided to pull the front clip off and probably pull the sub frame as well. So thats about where I am at. I wish I knew the history of the car. From the vin it was a v8 but the speedo hole is where the auto would be so I am guessing maybe a 327 pg car? At some point in its life the subframe was notched under the motor and plate was welded in. Looks like a decent job, I will further inspect it when the motor is out. What sold me on the car (wasnt looking for this much of a project) was how original the body looked and the car has zero rust that I have found. I have taken the drivers side down to almost bare metal and just found a little filler here and there. Pretty sure it is all original sheet metal, but I'm not body guy so I could be wrong. Plan is to do a cream color, that I will try and paint myself. I'm not going for show quality so I figured I would give it a shot.

My last progress

and with the notched sub frame the car also has these adjustable bumps

·
Super Moderator
32,345 Posts
Good project and darn good supervisors - both short two-legged and four-legged.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The addiction has apparently set in. Nice build progress so far. Those pics with your daughter are priceless. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The addiction has apparently set in. Nice build progress so far. Those pics with your daughter are priceless. :thumbsup:
Yep. And it's not even like I have to ask her to come out in the garage. If I'm out there she is too. She'll just grab a wrench and slide under the car and start "fixin camaros". We usually try and take her to car shows on the weekend as well because she asks to go to one everyday. Yesterday she made my wife take her out of the car so she could check out a chevelle that pulled up to the pump next to them. I definitely enjoy her interest in cars just as much as she does.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What model year S-10 are the rear disc brake set up you used from? Your car is coming along nicely by the way.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109454 here is a better write up for the rear. Since mine is a 67 I only used 2wd rear backing plates since my shocks aren't staggered. I bought a "kit" of eBay and machined the rotors and re used everything else.

Here is the eBay seller I used. doesn't look like he has a listing for the brakes, but when I bought he didn't either so I emailed him and he assembled one for me.
http://m.ebay.com/seller?itemId=221290145386&sid=s10warehouse

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
Nice build. Glad you changed directions. You will be happier in the end that you took the extra time to do it right. It will make for a better finished product and increase the value, not to mention a wicked car!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have had a ton of other stuff going on lately, but the weather has been in the 70's in Colorado in January so I couldnt resist at least doing something. My daughter was a little confused when I told her what I was unwrapping was the engine (short block) so we set the heads on and intake. So she could take a look.

After I added up all the parts for the engine I wanted and had a mild heart attack, I decide to go a little more budget friendly so I can get the suspension done how I want it. Picked up some low mileage used heads and team g intake, that have been ported, gasket matched and flow bench together. I am going to use an old cam I inherited from my dad. I think it will go pretty good for a what I am going to use it for. I needed some tools from work so I can see how far the pistons are in the hole so I can order head gaskets and get on with assembling this thing. I also have a lakewood bellhousing on the way from a buddy, that cut me a great deal on it. So some progress has been made.

Today we also modified my daughters powerwheel camaro, after a week of driving it (finally) she decided it wasnt fast enough so we made it 18 volts today

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brown santa came today and a few days ago. Got most of the stuff I need to get this thing assembled.

Msd stuff: pro billet distributor, blaster 2 coil and 6al box (picked that up second hand)
Canton road race oil pan (full of trap doors), pick up and timing cover
Arp head bolts
Summit engine bolt kit
Comp anti pump up hydraulic lifters
Comp double roller timing chain.
Some tool I didnt have degree wheel, crank socket, and adjustable push rod.
Detroit .018 head gaskets and other gaskets.

All the parts half mocked on

I'm going to have to get new headers. The angled plug heads wont fit on #4 cylinder. I was kind of expecting this anyway, and these headers arent that great. They hang low and are pretty beat up from hanging low.

I degreed the cam in the other night, but am going to have to do it again. I decided I am going to run it 4 degrees advanced. To help bring this big cams power band down in the rpm range a little. I'm waiting for a guy to get back to me about an e85 carb. Probably be a holley 4150 750 or 950. :dunno: Then I have to decide what to do for a fuel system. It will be 1/2" line from the tank but I am trying to decide if I can get away with a mechanical fuel pump or if I should by a electric and plumb in regulator and return to the tank.

Have to send the pick up I bought back. I managed to order a canton pick up for a stock oil pan and it doesnt fit in the pan. I am also really hoping the pan clears everything.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Cute little girl with a souped up Camaro and an AC/DC tee shirt.
That's a daddy's girl. Yes indeed! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'd like to see how your JL8 front brakes work out.

I did the same conversion a little while ago and the result is very impressive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well making some progress...

Bought a muncie at the local swap meet.

Welded the seams in subframe up

Found some used Doug thorley headers today. Also got a new dial indicator and got the cam advanced 4 degrees. So I could get the heads torqued down.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/nblehm/media/20150301_161316_zpst1p47r9i.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Working on the heater delete panel for the firewall. Still have some welding and grinding to do. Then I will add some body filler and paint it.

Also got my suspension in
4 link rear, tubular control arms, coilovers all around, tall spindles (corrects camber gain) front swaybar and soild subframe bushings.

That moment you realize the cargo is worth quadruple the car its in

And a power wheels up date. Converted everything to 24 volts and and used scooter electronics for variable pedal and converted the old gas pedal to a brake pedal. Added running head and brake lights. Now we are breaking gear boxes so I am building a solid chain drive axle for it

Reagan's first breakage

and some donut videos
http://youtu.be/LIPxuT-wir0
http://youtu.be/tyy9VCd-EMY

1 - 20 of 22 Posts