Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to introduce myself to this group. I started my Granada Gold 1967 RS coupe today for the first time in almost 20 years! For the last month or 2, I've been doing research and trying to figure out what to do to get it running safely. Thanks to this site I found a lot of info that was put to good use to get where I am today with this project.

The car is mostly original equipment. I've owned it since 1984 and my brother owned it for a few years before that. He found it in San Antonio and it was rust-free and pristine with 125,000 miles in a used car lot. He paid $4,900 for it back then. The 2-speed PG transmission was replaced by my brother when he bought the car to a 3-speed 350. Original engine is a 327 275hp with about 160k miles now but it fired right up as soon as I replaced the points. Sounds like it did the day I parked it in the garage and life got in the way. I put it away because it really needed suspension work and some underbody restoration that I couldn't afford. Now that it's cleaned up and running, I will start chipping away at the things necessary to get it drivable. It's still pretty clean with very little rust.

I did take a chance and run it around the block (slowly) with my 13 yr. old twin boys, who were elated too that we got it going.

I will post some pics and possibly video of the start-up soon but just wanted to finally join this forum and thank all of you for providing the help I needed to get this far.

Thanks and more to come!

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Congrats on the successful relaunch. I, for one would love to see photos!

Check the brakes and fuel lines carefully and drive it!

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind welcome. I will try to get pics up soon. Your RS is an inspiration!

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's my first attempt at pics. Pre-cleanup dust bucket and post cleanup with the boys ready for a ride! If the pics don't show up, I'll try again.

Attachments

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Congrats. Another deep sleeper awoken.

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I plan on keeping it as original as possible. Wish it still had the original Powerglide tranny but otherwise it's still pretty complete. Everything matches the trim tag and the VIN and partial VINs match. I don't have a partial VIN on the engine block but I read on the CRG site and this forum that not all '67s had that. The engine is coded as an MM made at the right time for the trim tag date and it still has the GM recall cables to secure the engine mounts which I assume would not be there if the engine had been removed/replaced. I believe I found that info on this forum too. You guys are a wealth of info!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome aboard Mike I had a 67s/s350 4spd around 70/71 loved that car with one exception the 9 1/2 inch drum brakes just awfull to stop with anything that has any kind of real power. They didn,t have disc brake changeover kits in those days. You can,t beat a Chevy my 70 s/s sat about 25 yrs in the garage without running . I put in a fresh battery fresh gas a new set of points and condenser and she fired right up after about 4 cranks with the old motor oil still in her and not one tick. It was like i had shut her off the day before .I had to go through her from front to rear to make her road worthy but she ran.GOOD LUCK with your 67. Alex:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the build date on the trim tag?

And for what its worth, swapping out the powerglide in mine was a huge improvement. The 327/275 needs more gears than just two in my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do like the 3-speed. It ran great when I was driving it every day a long time ago. I've never owned a car with a powerglide so it's good to hear your opinion. I don't plan on selling it so it really doesn't matter for resale value.

Here is the complete trim tag decoding from auto decoder at theCamaro.com

I also checked it manually with the CRG pages. Please let me know if you see anything unusual.

Decode of your 1967 Camaro Trim Tag:02= February, 1967, the month car was built.A= First week of the month.F278= is a internal LOS Angeles Plant assembly code.12637= Deluxe interior coupe body style type.LOS= Vehicle was assembled at the Los Angeles, California assembly plant.16159= Unique body sequence number assigned at the assembly plant.711= Deluxe Gold bucket seat interior.Z= Bucket seats without headrests.G= Granada Gold lower body paint color.G= Granada Gold upper body color.
Breakdown of Group 1 Options:E= A01 Soft Ray tinted glass, all windows. Cost $30.55, total production = 34,752.

Breakdown of Group 2 Options:E= C60 Four-Season air conditioning, includes 61 amp alternator, HD radiator and temp controlled fan. Cost $356.00, total production = 28,226.M= M35 Powerglide 2-speed automatic transmission, price with L6 engine. Cost $194.35, total production = 122,727.M= M35 Powerglide 2-speed automatic transmission, price with V8 engine. Cost $194.35, total production = 122,727.M= M40 Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 3- speed automatic transmission - requires L34 or L35 Cost $226.45, total production = 1,453.G= D55 Console with floor mounted shifter, storage compartment, rear seat ashtray and courtesy light. Cost $47.40, total production = 129,477.

Breakdown of Group 3 Options:L= Z22 Rally Sport Package including Z21 option plus full width grill with concealed headlights, bright lower body side moldings, RS grille emblem (or SS when options combined), parking/turn signal lights located below front bumper, reverse lights located below bumper in rear. Cost $105.35, total production = 64,842.

Breakdown of Group 5 Options:B= V32 Rear bumper guards. Cost $9.50, total production = 35,029.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Welcome Mike. I'm very partial towards '67 Rally Sport cars, so it's really nice to see another one being brought back to life. This will also be a great project to involve your boys (I have two myself). I look forward to watching your project.

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support. I hope to be using the other topic areas soon and asking lots of questions and posting my progress. Maybe as I get more experience I could help out other fellow Camaro enthusiasts with their projects but for now I'm just a newbie taking in all the amazing stuff you guys do with these awesome cars.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,193 Posts
You gotta love those rims!
Congrats on getting it going again, make sure going through the brakes and replacing the fluid is high on the list.

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've always wondered if the wheel covers were authentic until recently when I found that RPO N96 was an option for 67-69. Is there any way to find out what was originally on the car (without having the dealer window sticker)?

I'll try to get some daylight shots of underhood soon.

I am definitely concentrating on fluids (oil, trans, radiator, anything else critical?) and brakes before I do anything much else. I can't believe that the gas is fine after sitting so long but there seems to be no issues. Should I be concerned about draining it and cleaning the tank or should I just dilute the heck out of it with fresh gas? Probably only 4-5 gallons in there now.

If any of these questions are better addressed in another forum topic just point me there and I'll be glad to move it over.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts