Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks to all in advance. I am trying to determine what the breather pipe that comes off the rear of the block is supposed to look like.
The car has original engine,no holes in valve covers,oil fill pipe in intake has pcv hook up in it and it does not have an air pump.I have talked to ricks and their seems to be some confusion on this part.The air cleaner does not have any pipes on it. If anyone has a picture I would greatly appreciate seeing it.

Thank you Tom

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Tom it's often called a road draft tube but I believe thats from much older engines... It's a tube that connected the vent hole in the back of the block to the base of the air cleaner. I believe it was 2 pieces as I have seen many '67's with a small k&n breather filter mounted on the tube at the back of the block. It really works the same way as the PCV and breather tube in the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Nice post Tony....was just looking in my manual...you might put up K24 for a closed ventilation system which is apparantly what he has.

It would require a hook up to air cleaner however. Perhaps the air cleaner is incorrect, assuming the closed ventilation PCV valve on tube is correct...

I have an open ventilation non-AIR car...so no pics here!

lane

·
Registered
576 Posts
He has a closed vent pcv car. The pcv screws into the oil filler tube and hose goes to fitting at base at rear of carb. No open breather cap on fill tube. Tube off back of block has a hose on it and the air cleaner should have a tube on it on the passenger side of the base. It will have 2 tubes if you have A.I.R.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Small blocks with the standard "open" PCV setup have an adapter with a hose fitting in the hole in the back of the block. With this setup there are no tubes in the bottom of the air cleaner, and the oil fill tube has no provisions for a PCV valve. The cap on the oil fill tube is vented.

Small blocks with the optional closed PCV system (K24) have a tube assembly that runs behind the distributor. The tube has a tab with a hole welded to it to attach it to a stud on the intake manifold. The tube attaches via a hose to a tube on the air cleaner. All engines with a closed system have an oil fill tube threaded for a PCV valve and a twist on non-vented oil cap.

Small blocks with a smog pump (K19) have a tube assembly similar to the K24 but have a clamp for the gulp valve with a spark plug wire loom welded on the tube. K19 air cleaners have 3 tubes on the bottom of the air filter. All K19’s have a closed PCV system.

1967 Z28’s got its own tube assembly. It has a wire loom attached to it without the gulp valve clamp. All Z28’s have a closed PCV system.

If you are not concerned with being 100% original a 1 inch valve cover grommet with a 90˚ PCV valve fits the hole in the back of the block perfectly. Put an open breather on the oil fill tube and you are good to go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts