Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of restoring a 67 RS/SS with disc brakes. The rotors are rusty and would be out of spec if they could be cleaned up. The calipers and master cylinder are in need of rebuilding as the car sat for about 10 years. So far the people I have talked too are saying don't bother rebuilding the parts replace them. The calipers are the 4 piston variety and apparently they tend to leak. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
The 4 piston calipers set up is desired and necessary for a correct car but i just faced this dilemma on my 67 SS and for now i'm going with the 69 and up single piston style for lower cost. I am converting my 67 RS to disc and rebuilding my 67 SS so I was in the market for 2 sets. Possible leak and high price to get them made me go cheep as the 4 piston calipers are rare, valuable and not easy to get.

Keep for Show! or
Sell for Dough! :)

Mike

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
Rebuilding the calipers and MC with brass or stainless sleeves should almost eliminate any chance of future problems. Just need to make sure the brake fluid gets changed (flushed) every couple years. This applies especially to cars that doesn't get driven much.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I would keep the original parts and have them reconditioned. My original 4-piston calipers were re-sleeved with SS inserts in the 80's and still working fine. The M/C was recently re-sleeved with brass a few years back and working fine now. I use Dot 5 fluid too.
The 2-piece rotors are available in eBay. You can switch hubs between the original and replacements to get a fresh rotor if you want to (that is what I did) because I'm not sure of the type of iron used on today's reproductions.

Mike

·
Registered
327 Posts
I rebuilt mine myself over 3 yrs ago with a rebuild kit. Easy to do. Cleaned and painted. Still look new and work great. Not sure how bad yours are. Just an option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts