Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working overseas in fun sand filled places for a number of years I decided to come home. As a welcome home present to myself I found this lovely 1967 SS on E-bay and made it mine. It's was already in pretty reliable daily driver type condition but the motor was not original and someone had added a Richmond 5 speed. The car itself is virtually rust free and incredibly straight, they did a fairly good paint job on it so after tooling around in it for a month I decided to remake it new from the inside out. https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/971246_10151438205575614_1978940328_n.jpg

Also, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but why won't it let me post a pic directly? Do you need to be a paying member? Thank you.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Nice car. Unfortunately I can not answer your question. I always use photobucket. Its pretty easy and free.

Good luck on the car!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This project started out like I'm sure many small things do with me just wanting to upgrade a few things and then it snowballed from there. I started out just wanting to upgrade my front disk brakes and upgrade to rear disk as well. At the same time I decided to improve the handling a little with a front suspension kit from Heidts.

The second picture is after I got carried away with the project.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shortly after the brakes I decided I wanted a new engine and with the new engine of course I needed a new transmission, etc. etc.. Next think you know

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started out wanting to simply swap out the engine and transmission with the Texas Speed power plant and a T56 Magnum 6 -speed gear box.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the help of my dad and brother, who are much better mechanics than myself, we started the tear down process.

As you can see the clean exterior hid a number of cover ups and an inside that needed quite a bit of attention.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

At this point I had already installed the Heidts front suspension pieces and the rear disk brakes. The car is no A/C so along with the new power plant I decided we needed to add some cool air because it gets very hot in that black car in the Texas summer time, so I picked up a Gen IV system from Vintage air as well.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Smitty, yeah doing the build has been an interesting experience there have been times when it felt like it will never get done and then others where it's flown along. It's great to see all the prep work paying off. As you can see the car was pretty dirty when we started getting into it. I originally had planned to do very little internally but once I saw how it looked striped down I knew we had to go a little deeper. I decided to buy new inner fenders and a lower valence panel and have them all powder coated. This resulted in the decision to remove the front clip and have it powder coated as well and then the steering pieces and so on and so forth.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once we had everything tore down we found out that the previous paint job was only skin deep. Underneath the cowl panel and fenders we found that the car had simply had the skins painted and hadn't been properly done. So the paint looks nice but it's not a total job. With that we went ahead and sanded down, primed and painted the firewall.

We used Eastwood's 2k spray paint for both the primer and the black. If you've wondered about using it the stuff is great. It took one can of primer to do the firewall and about the same for the semi gloss body black. We used the remainder on some small pieces. you can also so where the vintage air kit delete parts are installed.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a little more work done this weekend. After stabbing the engine and transmission it was time to see if the transmission tunnel was going to require any surgery. I found that who ever had car before more had done some pretty shoddy work

It looks like they simply took a pipe or pry bar and and enlarged the existing hole. I went ahead and took a cut off wheel and cut back the excess so that I could get the shift top bolted down and on. Here soon I'll be able to get to make a plated to cover the nasty hole left behind and properly seal it.

I put the seat back in the car to make sure the handle was located where I wanted it to be. The Hurst kit that I bought had come with a shift relocation top to make it a "No cut," modification to the car but since the car had already been modified I felt the further back position of the shift lever would work better.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After doing a little work on the transmission tunnel I decided to get under the car and get the old fuel cell out. I wanted to remove it so that I could get the new Aeromotive stealth fuel tank in and also so I could spray some undercoating on the car and get it prepped for any inclement weather.

I got the tank down and it was remarkably rust free underneath. I took some cleaner and rubbed off some of the dirt that had made its way under the tank and sprayed it down with some undercoating. To get the fuel cell out I simply strapped it to a transmission jack and slowly pulled it down.

It was mostly empty when I pulled it out. I plan on relocating the battery to the trunk of the car and put some other electronics back there so I'll be locating places to drill holes in the trunk and get ready for that. Next will be installing the frame rail connectors and routing fuel lines and wires.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
No sir the car is EFI. http://aeromotiveinc.com/2012/06/1st-gen-f-body-stealth-fuel-tanks/ here's a link to the tank I chose. My engine is supposed to be in the 500hp range so the 340 series fuel pump is included in the tank. Specs say it's good for up to 750 EFI and 1000 HP carbureted.
Thanks for the info. I talked some to Brian at Screaming Performance and I want to say he said they had two different pumps you could choose from. I will do a little more homework on it before I order it.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Smitty it looks like there are simply different configurations for the pump. The unit I bought comes complete in the tank. You can buy the kit to convert you old tank to a, "Stealth," tank but it just seems like the pump configuration is different http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/stealth-fuel-systems/

Not sure what specifics you're after with regards to the capability of the pump but it's worth looking at.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts