Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Camaro | 5.3 LS | S485 Turbo
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a '67 Camaro that is basically a streetable race car.

So here is the problem, when I first got it, it had a stock trunk lid with a spoiler. I sold those, and installed a Glasstek fiberglass trunk lid. I moved the torsion bars up to the highest slot, but the lid sits high on the driver's side 1/4 inch and the trunk lid has a lot of tension.

I'm looking for some softer springs, or any suggestions. Can I just run one of those rods? Worst case I take them off but then I have to use a prop rod. Thanks for any help.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd rather no springs and a broom stick lol.

If I can run one torsion rod I'll do that...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
One rod will pull crooked. You could heat up your rods and twist them some to lessen the tension, or Buy a nice broomstick.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I'd share an update. Pulled one torsion bar. One bar would not keep the lid up. Pulled the other. Lid still sits high on one side. A buddy suggested I first try spacing down the latch. Then to add a washer to between the hinges and lid, the holes closest to the back of the car. These are easy things to try. I miss those torsion bars though, might put those back on.

·
Premium Member
4,926 Posts
Thought I'd share an update. Pulled one torsion bar. One bar would not keep the lid up. Pulled the other. Lid still sits high on one side. A buddy suggested I first try spacing down the latch. Then to add a washer to between the hinges and lid, the holes closest to the back of the car. These are easy things to try. I miss those torsion bars though, might put those back on.
Aren't there two sizes of torsion rods?

·
20,645 Posts
Thanks for the update John...keep us posted..... 😁

·
Premium Member
4,926 Posts
I don't know didn't get much response over socials.
Read here some where there are two sizes one larger than the other to compensate for adding the rear spoiler. If you only use the small one you may be OK. Not sure. I think they are adjustable as to which slot you engage on the spring end.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had moved the bars to the highest slot as a buddy suggested, had less tension but still was high sided. I took the rod out on the left side which was the worst, and it didn't help. So at this point I'm going to research some ideas to fix it, and I'd like to put the rods back in too.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It could be an issue with previous bodywork done. For example inner wheel wells, maybe the trunk hinge supports that tie into the inner wheel well and trunk gutter are skewed a bit. New trunk lid, if strait could be exposing that issue. Worth a look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the aftermarket (glasstek fiberglass) lid has a lower inner structure than stock, and I might need to shave down the weatherstripping. We'll see, thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
It could also be your weather strip. I like the hollow core from metro. Some of the stuff for sale is too hard causing height issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts