Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cant find my voltage regulator anywhere in my 1967camero, i ve been online looking at other cameros i just cant seem to find my vr anywhere. My problem is when i turn car on run it and then shut it off it wont start it doesnt do anything,i turn key and nothing, until i let it cool off like for an hour, if i jump it, starts instant, i ve changed the igniton and did same thing so i put back my original ignition switch and changed the starter, alternator, battery and connections some one told me to change v r but i cant find it anywhere any suggestions..its a 350 automatic Help also i heAR that the wiper motor might have something to do with it starting is this true? because my wipers dont work well when they want to and not very fast at all.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Re: 1967

It is possible your alternator has been replaced with one with an internal voltage regulator. My External one was on the Core Support. Now I don't have one. I switched to a 100 amp internal regulated one.
1.) Try charging your battery, Take the negative cable off, and check with a test lamp to see if you have a constant power drain.
2.) If you take your alternator to Autozone, they can test it.
3.) You also need to be sure you do not have a dead short in the battery itself.

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

would my alternator be a certain model to find out if it has an internal regulator not sure on that, also you think this could be my problem why when its warmed up and i turn key off then i try to turn it on wont do anything at all, my battery is new alternator is new starter and solinoid is new, could they be bad if they are a week or so old?

i found my horn relay and i thought that was vr and they told me it wasnt so i cant seem to find it anywhere im stumped. car runs great till i shut it off and then try to turn on and wont do anything at all, like i had no battery in it. wierd.

·
Registered
634 Posts

could be that the starter gets too hot.......do you have a mini torque starter or a heat shield?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts

it could be that you drive a CAMERO instead of a CAMARO?? J/K

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

yes that could be the problem too i get it but seriously can i get some help on this problem. thanks .

·
Premium Member
19,656 Posts

The large box is the voltage regulator and the small box is the horn relay. This is located to the front of the alternator on the core support.

Roger

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

i just found out that it has a internal regulator thats why i cant find the vr anywhere, and i replaced the alternator already but does the internal require anything else i need to add to it because i had no idea i just replaced it at autozone and they never asked if it was internal external so what else could i do and what could be causing this starting problem? thanks everybody.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Does it have headers on it? If it does, the starter may be getting too hot. I had the same problem a while back. Ended up getting a hot start spring from GM and the problem went away. It's the spring that goes in the starter solenoid and it is a little shorter than the original one.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Here is what I would do. I would connect a wire to the terminal on the starter solenoid that the key switch signal is going to. I would use wire the same gauge as the factory wire coming from the key switch. Make sure you attach it good with a crimped on eyelet and not some crappy hack job. route the wire away from your headers so it doesn't melt. Make sure the car is in park with the ebrake set. I would turn the key to the ON position so the coil is hot. I would touch the end of the wire to the positive post on battery to make engine crank and fire. ONLY HOLD THE WIRE ON THE POSITIVE POST LONG ENOUGH TO START ENGINE!. Run the engine until it is hot and then turn engine off with key switch. Turn the key back to on and see if you can restart the engine with the wire to the positive battery post. Obviously if it restarts fine then it would be in your key switch signal circuit to your starter. If it doesn't restart I would look really closely into your positive and negative cables from the battery to the starter and the negative cable from the battery to the engine block. I wonder if you have some crappy cables that have high resistance. If you are getting a clicking sound when touching the wire to the positive post but no cranking it likely the starter solenoid giving you the problem....I hope this makes sense. Be careful.......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i dont have headers, i thought that too that it might be getting hot the wire but i reran the wire away from as much heat as i could and it still does that but i will try that advice from fordpowerstroke thanks ill will keep ya posted thanks. oh does it matter that i just replaced the starter solinoid friday took old one in and autozone warrantied it and gave me a new one because the solinoid tested bad starter was good, so they just swapped me out because it was only a year old. but when i purchased that starter a year ago it was doing the same thing thats why i bought a new starter thinking that was the problem. but it still did samething.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
autozone told me the alternator i bought from them is external and they dont have internal 1 for my year 67 and i cant find my vr so it must be a internal vr then. right? delco remy 55amps part number dl7122 so where can i get a alternator with an internal vr then since autozone doesnt have one? oh also the horn relay wouldnt have anything to do with it would it not sure thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,656 Posts
This should help you ID your alternator to tell what you have. The first link below the pic is for a stock alternator and the next link is for a internal VR alternator. AutoZone didn't have a internal VR alternator because they didn't put them in Chevys until about 73 and all he knew was what was on his computer. If you would have ask for a 73 Camaro alternator it would likely work. If you order from Classic before the 31st and use discount code WS3792 you will get a 20% discount.

Roger

http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=productDetail&productId=82992&productSearchCatalogId=1

http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=productNumberSearch&partNumber=7127U3&productSearchCatalogId=0&productYearId=0

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ok that diagram works great but i see i have a problem the alternator thats on that diagram i looked at mine and its the second 1 i have on there the plug is on the side, its that same plug so now what i have looked all over car and cant find no dang volt regulator this is odd i found horn relay but no volt regulator. im stumped. but i am certain that number 2 alternator in that diagram is mine. i guess ill take it off and have them test it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts