Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help with BS, I have read everthing I could find on back spacing for front and rear. The first question I have is for the front I read that 4.75 is best with a 8" wheel, but is that with a drum or with disk? I have LS1 brakes and the disk is allmost a 1/4 thicker than the drums are, so should I go to 5" instead of the 4.75"? The second question is for the rear I read that for a 9.5 wheel to use 5.5" back spacing and I have a rear end out of a second gen 61" instead of 60" wide so I should go to 6" back spacing?
So this is what I think I can fit in
front 17X8 4.75 BS with 245/46-17
rear 17X9.5 6" BS with 275/40-17
Does this sound right?
This is a fully restored car with polly bushing and aluminum frame bushing so the front end should be thight.
Sorry for the long post but I need to be shure before I order wheels and tires.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WOW guys no comments on these sizes! Your making me nervous about ordering these. I sure would like to here from some one that has a 68 and this combination, Thanks

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have Vintage wheel works v40's on my 67. The front wheels are 17x8 inch with 4.75 bs. I have 235/45/17's on them with no rub anywhere. The rears are 17x9 inch with 5.0 bs. They have 255/55/17's on them. The reason i ran the 9.0 instead of the 9.5 was because i knew i was going to run the 255 tire. They have a good 3/4 inch on the inside of clearance and tons of room on the outside. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info do you have disk brakes on front and rear? Do you think you could run a 245/45-17 on front with that wheel?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
245's may be tight. I cannot say for sure if they will fit. I know VWW told me they would not. I have factory disc in the front and factory drum in the rear.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The front you should be good with the brakes you have and the 4.75 backspace. If the ride height is dropped 2 - 3 inches or more I would go with the 235 tire. In the rear if the 1" difference is from flange to flange (where the wheel pad sits against the axle) then yes 6" backspace - split the 1" difference. Keep in mind though as we always say all these cars are a little different so you have to check carefully and on both sides to make sure your combination will fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts