Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have imfo about factory installed or over the counter GM rear sway bars?What was the thickness of the bar and how did it attach to the sub frame?
Any pictures? Anybody's car have one of these ultra rare items?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The rear sway bar is featured along with many other racing parts in Wayne Guinns' excellent book, Camaro Untold Secrets.

The bar was '67 only, few were made, never factory installed.

·
10,147 Posts
I ordered one for my 67 around 1970. It was a 67 front sway bar just like on the front. The brackets were not available. I sent it back.
It was spposed to mount over the rear axle and attach to the trunk floor.

I have read that in 69 Camaros built as 1970 models were supposed to have a rear bar option, but I guess it didn't get built.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The Tech Center, where the ZL1 show cars were built, could have done just about anything they wanted. Those cars were built over 33 years ago. The cars and the people involved are long gone. Short of finding someone who worked on them with a very long memory there just isn't anyone who can answer questions about them. A Tech Center employee wrote a book some years ago and stated very little of what he did made production.

Production ZL1 and L72 cars exist in original condition along with a lot of paperwork. None have the rear bar (won't fit a 68-69) or JL8.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Motorcade Magazine dated 1969 and shows a article on the 69 ZL1 SS 427 Camaro,shows a Camaro in the article with a rear sway bar,2 page picture,but it dosen't show underneath the factory attachments.
Thanks everyone for your input,much appreciated,Dan

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
The F41 rear sway bar set up made for a 70-75 Nova and the 78 cop car Novas ought to be a bolt in for a 68-69 Camaro.

·
10,147 Posts
I recall seeing a magazine photo of a late 69 with rear sway bar. The magazine said the bar was going to be an option, but I don't think it ever was made available. The bar looked like a second gen rear bar.
David

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
MacNeish's 67-68 Fact Book has a picture of the rear sway bar mounting etc. I'll have to take a pic and post after din din.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a January 69 z28. I am finally replacing the rear leaf spring bushings.
I found my car has only one ubolt and a short bolt holding the spring carrier on.
This configuration is for rear sway bar. I am the third owner and to my knowlege the care never had a sway bar on it. Is their a way to tell if it was a factory sway bar car, should be some mounting holes some where?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I removed a rear sway bar from an all original/56k mile 69 Z/28 years ago thinking it was incorrect, now that i think about it im thinking it came equipped with it??

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Question to the person who deleted my response above, how do you pick and choose who to delete, stating solicting for parts is not allowed in the forums. I should not say anything but read many of the others posts, members looking to buy parts, the same as I, don't understand your deletion!!!!!!!! Would like a PM on this matter................

·
Retired
26,641 Posts
Question to the person who deleted my response above, how do you pick and choose who to delete, stating solicting for parts is not allowed in the forums. I should not say anything but read many of the others posts, members looking to buy parts, the same as I, don't understand your deletion!!!!!!!! Would like a PM on this matter................
Don't confuse folks asking where to find parts (what vendors carry them) for soliciting and don't confuse the classified forum areas with the tech forums! I will delete any post I run across in the tech forums where someone is talking about something they have and someone else asks them to sell it to them!

Please note the dates of the postings, this thread started in 2002 and the last relevant post was 2008!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts