Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

how do you properly wire this NSS? The way it is now the car starts but won’t shift out if park. In the photo the top purple wire is the NSS wire, bottom purple is the ignition feed, pink is 12v ignition, and green is backup.
Product Electrical wiring Gas Motor vehicle Electric blue

Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electrical supply Electric blue

· Registered
1,540 Posts
The way it is now the car starts but won’t shift out if park.
I wonder if the shifter cable got melted together.

What transmission ?

Can the shifter be moved with the cable disconnected off of the transmission and then if not, can the shifter be moved if the cable is disconnected off of the floor shifter itself ?

Jim

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not necessarily sudden. I redid the wiring harness and a bunch of other projects so the car has been stationary for about a good 8 months. I started in in between then many times but never tried to take it out of park. Prior to doing all of the work the car would go into gear without issue.I’ll take a look at that in the morning Jim. Thanks for the feedback

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Looks like you have the automatic H shifter handle. Get the 1968 Factory Assembly manual and use section M35 to set cable and switch. First I would remove swith and get shift mechanism working first. Then set the switches.

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Not necessarily sudden. I redid the wiring harness and a bunch of other projects so the car has been stationary for about a good 8 months. I started in in between then many times but never tried to take it out of park. Prior to doing all of the work the car would go into gear without issue.I’ll take a look at that in the morning Jim. Thanks for the feedback
Did you figure anything out yet ?.

Just wondering.

Jim

· Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
1,312 Posts
Here’s my experience with your symptom.
I had pulled my last 4 speed and installed a TH350.
Everything went well until a few days later, when I had the same symptom as you.
I called an older friend to get his take.
He asked if I had a ground from the battery to the engine. A good clean, unpainted connection.
He said the transmission cable could have made a better ground if my battery negative wasn’t done correctly.
Like was mentioned in the post above…I pulled the cable off the transmission, and it rotated fine.
The shift cable had welded itself to the housing.
Hard to believe, but that was the way it happened.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My problem was fixed….it ended up being low trans fluid. I forgot I had taken off the hoses to my trans cooler for the vintage air install. I appreciate all of the responses. Glad it was a simpler fix than I was expecting

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My problem was fixed….it ended up being low trans fluid. I forgot I had taken off the hoses to my trans cooler for the vintage air install. I appreciate all of the responses. Glad it was a simpler fix than I was expecting
Rookie mistake on my part. I’m 25 and this is my first car restoration. Apologize for posting some novice questions sometimes but I really do appreciate all of the help. Slowly but surely I’m learning and figuring it all out.

· Premium Member
5,508 Posts
Rookie mistake on my part. I’m 25 and this is my first car restoration. Apologize for posting some novice questions sometimes but I really do appreciate all of the help. Slowly but surely I’m learning and figuring it all out.
No biggie. Most 25 year olds can't own these cars unless they were inherited. Thay are expensive to restore and maintain. Most current ASE certified mechanics today don't know how to work on them or just won't, learn it yourself. You will find the help here.

· Registered
1,314 Posts
No biggie. Most 25 year olds can't own these cars unless they were inherited. Thay are expensive to restore and maintain. Most current ASE certified mechanics today don't know how to work on them or just won't, learn it yourself. You will find the help here.
FWIW, There’s no need for current techs to know how to fix 40+ year old cars. They need to know only what is relevant to paying the bills. They also have to want to learn like every other trade out there. I have worked along side ASE Master Techs who are book smart but can’t diagnose a burned out light bulb.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Started working when I was 14 and saved up and by the time I was 19 I was able to buy my Camaro. I love working on it, definitely not many people around anymore who know what they’re doing on these. Appreciate everyone’s help this far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts