Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some things I am trying to figure out. Mostly to see what this car was originally. From the VIN it does show to be a V8 car. It also has Power steering and front disc brakes. Not sure if they are original or not. They have single piston calipers.

Also on the trim tag it shows 717 for trim which is standard blue buckets, and for paint I have - -, Special Order apparently.

What would special order paint be? for what reason were camaros ordered with special paint?

·
Registered
74 Posts
A -- paint code means that the original buyer of the car wanted a color that wasnt a standard color on a Camaro...could have been a Buick color or Cadillac for example. It could actually be any color. An easy way that I have found to see what the car's original color was is to look inside the trunk by the trunk lid hinges...also underneath weatherstripping etc. With a blue interior I would guess that the car had to have been some shade of blue. White was already offered so that seems logical to me. I know a guy who has a -- paint code 1968 Z/28..that was special ordered in black. But black was a standard color on Camaros you say? Not in all of 1968...after December or so of 1967, they dropped black..so to get that color required a special order paint, represented on the tag as --. So if your car was built after December...it might have simply been painted a color that was phased out. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
You missed another probable reason for that code. From the link above:
"In 1968-69, either deletion of a stripe or use of a non-standard stripe color was also considered to be special paint."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunately alot of this car has already been sanded down to bare metal.. I guess that's less work for me, but at the same time I am really curious what the original paint was. On some inside pieces it looked to be a medium to dark blue.

·
Super Moderator
32,773 Posts
It also has Power steering and front disc brakes. Not sure if they are original or not. They have single piston calipers.
Sixty-eights had four piston calipers as 69 are single piston sliding caliper.

Check power steering hose dates for date of manf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts