Team Camaro Tech banner

301 - 306 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
While I was in the middle of swapping out the hubs, I finally installed an overflow jug. Ever since I had the car, the radiator was operating with a partially full radiator, which is certainly not ideal. I mocked it up and it fit very nicely in this little spot under the top radiator hose next to the battery.

I've always wanted to try one of those Rivnut tools so I thought this would be a great opportunity to do so. It turned out to be a very clean install and I'm glad I went with that tool.

With the shroud back in the car, it's very nice and tidy. Pretty much disappears down low.

I also picked up a good deal on some extremely low mileage LS7 lifters and LS2 trays from a guy parting out a 22k mile 2017 L96 6.0 engine. They seriously look brand new and will work very nicely for the next project I have in mind.

After a careful inspection of all the lifters, they went into a bath of new oil for when I'm ready for them.

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've really enjoyed this build, great job! It's probably back in the 16 pages somewhere but what radiator hoses did you use?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Maybe in the winter, I'll pull that upper hose off and go to the parts store and get a nice one piece that looks much nicer. For now, out of sight out of mind. I can't see it when I'm driving down the road haha

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
I moved my car outside for the kiddos to play in the garage for the 4th, and grabbed some pictures of the car when the sun was starting to get low. I'm not a photographer, but I think they turned out pretty good. The first picture is my new favorite.

I love how straight the front RS grills turned out. I see so many where the doors are crooked. I spent a lot of time to make sure mine were straight and consistent during panel fitment.

On Monday I was able to get my car back into the shop to get the front end alignment and a new set of front tires. It went off without a hitch and my guy was able to get the specs really close. He said that this was as close as he could get to my specs which I'm happy with. I gave him the specs that Speedtech gives with their control arm kits and the hand written numbers are what he was able to get them to. Feel free to chime in on the specs if they should be adjusted. I know what each of them mean in relation to the wheel, but as far as what each of the specs does to the way the car drives is way out of my wheel house.

Then right as I was leaving he goes, "Do you want all your shims?" I wasn't sure what he meant, but then he explained that the car was way out of alignment then handed me a pile of shims! He said that I actually had positive camber, which definitely doesn't help a performance car steer.

I snapped a few pictures of the new tires when I got home. The tires that I replaced were 235/50-18 and the new tires are 245/40-18. I had to replace the front tires since they were too tall and actually rubbing the inner wheel house and fender in a few spots. I found several people online that said these wheels fit first gen's with 18's, but I went back and forth between a 245/45 (26.7" tall) and a 245/40 (25.7" tall). According to the tire calculators the 235/50 is 27.3" tall, so I opted for the smaller diameter to give a higher margin and maybe a tighter turning radius. After shopping around and not exactly 100% confident of the tire size I found the best rated and cheapest tire I could find. I came across a pair of Achilles ATR Sport 2 from a reputable seller on eBay for $159 with tax and shipped to my door.

It's got a pretty cool tread pattern too, which is a bonus.

Now my first impressions are that the car handles night and day differently. Before I always felt that it would turn quickly and confidently to the left, but was slow to react and soft making a right turn. I'm very glad that I finally got a proper alignment on the car. I'm really looking forward to getting on some windy roads and really seeing the car shine. The tires give way more grip than the old and cracking tires, so I couldn't be happier. There is a slight bit of play in the steering box, but I believe I can tighten that up and it will be right where I want it to be. The last suspension modification that I would like to do down the road is a pair of frame ties.

Thanks,
Ryan

301 - 306 of 306 Posts