Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of my project :beers:

Bringing her home

I will upload some of my progress tomorrow when I get more pics loaded :thumbsup:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is extremely solid, nice floors, truck and frame looks new, it already has new gas tank, fuel lines and brake lines ran by previous owner. Original GM front fenders and hood were purchased back in the day after the wreck.
Plans are to make it what I want. Since the motor is non matching, I figured I pretty much can build what I want and have fun. Most clues point to it being a true SS and big block, but would be hard to prove. It was originallya 4 speed but was converted to turb 400, but I since have converted it back to a Muncie 4 speed. It has 12 bolt posi, built 396 bored 30 over, big bump stick and aluminium radiator.
I am planning Power disc up front (currently drums all around), Vintage Air and modern sound system.
Charcoal Gray with a few shades lighter z stripes and blacked out tailpan. I'm replacing the 68 396 badges with 67 cross flag 396 badges in the same location as the old ones.
Still might use a 67 grille as I like the round marker lights better than the oval. Just depends on funds when I get to that point, I have brand new 68 grille and marker lights so might not waste the money???
It is a console and gauges car with a tic toc tach.
Here are some more pictures of the day I brought it home and also the motor pulled, freshened up and put back home.

You can see all the new, original and NOS parts that came with the car:

to be continued :beers:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Do you have a pic of the firewall before the engine went in? Great project too.. Hands down my favorite of all the years.. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Also post up a pic of the vin & trim tag too if you dont mind..:D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, not the best pics, pretty washed out from light coming into garage and camera phone.
I don't have a pic of the VIN on my phone, but if ya are curious about something let me know and I can PM you.

68 has always been my favorite as well, I had a 56 Belair back in highschool and had to sell it for college, was going to go that route again and then came accross the 68. After the 56 I swore no more project cars, but oh well :beers:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoohooo!
Car went to body and paint shop last night, body shop guy said I was welcome to stop in anytime for progress pictures, once he gets started, I will stop in and take a few and update.
:hurray:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Very nice! I saw you were in Alger OH. I'm down in Cincy but I get up that way for my job every once in a while. I'd love to swing by and check your car out if that would be ok next time I'm up that way. I've been working on mine all winter and have a couple more months of work to do still.....doesn't really matter since spring won't be here until July anyway the way it has been going this year! haha!

Here's a photo bucket link to my project if you want to check it out. This winters work starts on page 6 after the fall pics.
http://s220.photobucket.com/user/conester1/library/1969 Camaro

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure thing Brian :beers:
Your car looks very nice, I'm not going for a show stopper, just nice driver and local car show fun car. Maybe someday, but for now, just want a car I can have fun with, not cry everytime they tar and chip the roads in my neck of the woods. Body shop said bout 2 months, so I'm figuring at least 4. :D
Do you ever come up for the Rebel Run? it's close to Septemeber and pretty nice car show/swap meet. I hoping to have the car there this year.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Whoohooo!
Car went to body and paint shop last night, body shop guy said I was welcome to stop in anytime for progress pictures, once he gets started, I will stop in and take a few and update.
:hurray:
Congrats Scott! What are you having them do?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car is pretty solid, he is gonna put patch panel in pass side rear quater, new lower tailpan, pass rocker. Fit and gap panels and paint.

He's gonna have me stop in after he gets the body work done and the car ready for paint so he can spray out a few test panels for my color choice. I have a couple in mind, but he said he would some test panels so I could see them actually sprayed out and not just on a half by half inch paint book sample.

I am going in the dark gray metalliac family. Couple color's I'm think of are Phantom Metallic, Cyber Gray Metallic, Granite Crystal or brown hue grey called Dark Mocha Metallic.
Then, going with the cliche Z stripes (just cause I like them), plus black out tailpan.

Thinking lighter shade of grey or black metallic for Z stripes, possibly pearl white if I go with Dark Mocha, just depends on how dark gray I decide to go.

So many color choices, if it was numbers matching, i would make it the stock color of British Green, but I like dark gray's and blacks, Cortez is too light for my taste.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sure thing Brian :beers:
Your car looks very nice, I'm not going for a show stopper, just nice driver and local car show fun car. Maybe someday, but for now, just want a car I can have fun with, not cry everytime they tar and chip the roads in my neck of the woods. Body shop said bout 2 months, so I'm figuring at least 4. :D
Do you ever come up for the Rebel Run? it's close to Septemeber and pretty nice car show/swap meet. I hoping to have the car there this year.
Thanks Scott! Mine isn't a show car either, but I'm just trying to make it look as nice as possible. I couldn't handle a 40K paint job and having a rock chip it! I think I'd explode! haha!! Now I just get the touch up paint out and take care if it!

I've never been up to the Rebel Run. I'll have to check it out this year. Sounds cool. Would be a nice drive in the car!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do a search for Rebel Run 2014, they moved it closer to you last year, it's at the Sidney County Fairgrounds, it use to be in Lima (Allen County Fairgrounds) for years, but the fairgrounds screwed the promoter and he moved it last year, the guy had a contract for years, and they wanted to take away half the grounds for a fairboards daughters wedding reception the same day as the car show.
Cost the area businesses a lot of weekend money, all cuz of a fairboard memeber, crazy. :noway:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Figured it was time to post a lil progress on my car so far, body shop called yesturday and said to swing by as they just laid the first coat of base.

They called a few weeks ago after they had it painted the jams and rehung the sheet metal, hood, trunk and doors so we could drilled the holes for the emblems before laying down the first coats of base.

Still long ways to go, dash and some interior parts need sprayed, some more color sanding with some more base color shots, stripes need added and then barried in clear and such. They are shooting for January, but no hurry as I would rather them store over winter then me having to make room for it. :D

So far I'm pretty happy and love the color. :beers:

·
13,879 Posts
Looking good.

I have a question. The shop said 2 months and you figured 4 months 8 months ago and still not finished?

I'd be pretty jacked up, but that's just me. :yes:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah John, I was at first, but gotten a lil more patient the older I get I guess lol.

I was more dissappointed, especially when it came down to saying I just wanted it back before Rebel Run and then that came and passed. When they took the job on, they said they were usually slower in Spring/Summer, but this year they got hit with a lot of insurance jobs which I know is a body shops bread and butter, so my car kept hitting back burner.

I know it will turn out nice, I've seen his work at many local shows and he does nice work.

I guess it came down to I figured I could get mad and throw a fit, piss them off to where they rush or cut corners or take a step back and look at how long some guys have spent on thier cars on this board and be patient and let them do it at thier own pace so I know it's being done right.

The owner is a great guy and hard to get mad at, he always gives me a call when he gets to a point he figures I would like pictures for my build book.

He wants to use my car when it's done as the splash page for his website so I know he is working hard to make it look good.

Car should be done this Spring or beginning of summer, I have everything ready to be put in and back on, drivetrain/ brakes and wiring are all done.

So it's taken a year longer then originally planned, but looking at how long some of these builds have taken, I can't really complain. :beers:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! :thumbsup:

It's hard to tell by the pics plus overcast day, the car is Son of Gun Grey Metallic, but looks black in the pics. It really sparkles in the sun. Going to put Z stripes on in a shade darker color called Carbon Flash Metallic. I like the z stripes for an accent but didn't want them popping off to contrasty, so the close color choice to make them be subtle.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts