Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my 68 SS Restomod for 2 years now. It was restored by someone and then sold it to a dealership in Long Island, where I then purchased from.

The dealership did not know all the details and work that was done to the car, I also have little knowledge on classic muscles (my first classic). Below is what information I was able to get on the car:

• 1968 Camaro SS Restomod
  • Fully-restored 350ci engine (2,500 miles)
  • Holley Carburetor
  • 4-speed Muncie
  • Hurst shifter
  • Upgraded brakes(don't know which)
  • American Racing AR105 Torq Thrust 17's
I had several problems with the car (i wanted an incomplete SS so I can enjoy re-building it), the carb kept choking out, tune was off, car over-heated and just kept stalling. Fast-forward 1 year, I shipped it back home in KSA and searched for the best muscle car mechanic. Finally decided on the build, that just began 2 days ago.

Below is what is going to happen (will share more details as the build moves on):

• 6.0L LS2 engine
  • Tremec T56 6-speed
  • Power Steering
  • Injectors
  • Air Intake
  • Custom large aluminum radiator (hot country)
  • Full clutch-set
  • New Drivetrain
  • Fuel pumps
  • Engine mounts
Will share photos as well. Can't wait to drive it!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,581 Posts
Yes, it will surely be exciting to drive once all of the work is complete. I use Imageshack for hosting images. It is easy and free (I don't recall paying anything to start the service). Here is a sample pic;

Brett......

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it will surely be exciting to drive once all of the work is complete. I use Imageshack for hosting images. It is easy and free (I don't recall paying anything to start the service). Here is a sample pic;

Brett......
Thanks Brett, I'll check it out!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, any photos?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engine is In!! Just waiting for the clutches and all should be done by next week.

Also getting the red covers on the engine

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Mann,
I am thinking the earlier pics of the car might not have showed off the paint job as much as they could have. When you have a chance?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mann,

I am thinking the earlier pics of the car might not have showed off the paint job as much as they could have. When you have a chance?

Sure, here’s a few more showing the paint

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got my Ls2 build done with the T56-im happy and unhappy. Engine runs well, however

-when shifting gears, they’re not hooking its like they’re stuck i need to keep unhooking from one gear and back into the one i want for it to hook (eg if im on 2nd and try to hook on 3rd it just doesnt hook..hope that makes sense)

-the clutch pedal is a little heavy on release so its kinda like burning the clutch (C7 corvette clutches)

-Im used to my old Muncie 4 speed, i still have the hurst shifter fitted into the tremec, kind of confusing when trying to hook into 3rd, might slip and hit 5th needs getting used to i guess or maybe its just not hooking easily.

Solution: taking it back to the mechanic, he said something about re-balancing the gears.. something like that

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
That's great that you got the LS2 in the car! The T-56 shifter is different from the Muncie I'm pretty sure. Your mechanic should have installed the Tremec into your car and returned it back to you in better condition than what it sounds like, if he was the one that installed it. Now if you installed it, for sure take it to him to have a look. It could be the clutch contributing to your shifting issue. If the clutch is not completely dis-engaged, it will be difficult to shift between gears. Your ability to shift between gears will then rely on your syncro's and you don't want that. To shift without the clutch you need to be at the correct RPM's for the shifter to "fall" into the next gear, while applying pressure with your hand on the shifter towards the next gear and giving the engine gas to increase RPM's and the shifter should go into the next gear without the clutch depressed. This is not really recommended as it will/could damage your syncro's, but as a temporary measure, you could still get through the gears like this.
And yes, it takes some getting used to regarding the 2nd to 3rd shift and not going into 5th. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd, I would basically just throw it north, almost straight up, not trying to push sideways and it should find 3rd more than 5th. Just don't push up and left, as tat will put you back in 1st and you really don't want that. Hopefully your mechanic hooked up the reverse lockout. The biggest concern is when shifting to 6th, you don't want to miss and find reverse, as that will cause you to purchase another T-56! lol.....

Brett.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's great that you got the LS2 in the car! The T-56 shifter is different from the Muncie I'm pretty sure. Your mechanic should have installed the Tremec into your car and returned it back to you in better condition than what it sounds like, if he was the one that installed it. Now if you installed it, for sure take it to him to have a look. It could be the clutch contributing to your shifting issue. If the clutch is not completely dis-engaged, it will be difficult to shift between gears. Your ability to shift between gears will then rely on your syncro's and you don't want that. To shift without the clutch you need to be at the correct RPM's for the shifter to "fall" into the next gear, while applying pressure with your hand on the shifter towards the next gear and giving the engine gas to increase RPM's and the shifter should go into the next gear without the clutch depressed. This is not really recommended as it will/could damage your syncro's, but as a temporary measure, you could still get through the gears like this.
And yes, it takes some getting used to regarding the 2nd to 3rd shift and not going into 5th. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd, I would basically just throw it north, almost straight up, not trying to push sideways and it should find 3rd more than 5th. Just don't push up and left, as tat will put you back in 1st and you really don't want that. Hopefully your mechanic hooked up the reverse lockout. The biggest concern is when shifting to 6th, you don't want to miss and find reverse, as that will cause you to purchase another T-56! lol.....

Brett.....

The mechanic did the install, we went on a ride last night and he's aware of the problem and said that he's going to re-adjust or re-balance the trans/gear to solve this hooking problem.

and thanks for the reverse lockout, i'll ask if he did that, and to do it if not. I'd really hate hooking into R after 4th lol needs getting used to since my muncie's reverse was Top Left, whereas the T56 now is Top Right

·
14,092 Posts
The C7 clutch is not a heavy pedal feel when properly installed

Do you have a mechanical or hydraulic throw out bearing?

What does the mechanic mean by “re-balancing”.

Factory set up for reverse lock out is controlled by VSS. The T56 spring load solinoid is fairly stiff. The reverse lock not not keep it from going into reverse it just makes it harder. The activation of the reverse lockout makes it easier.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
The mechanic did the install, we went on a ride last night and he's aware of the problem and said that he's going to re-adjust or re-balance the trans/gear to solve this hooking problem.

and thanks for the reverse lockout, i'll ask if he did that, and to do it if not. I'd really hate hooking into R after 4th lol needs getting used to since my muncie's reverse was Top Left, whereas the T56 now is Top Right
Yes, My old age memory has done it to me again. For some reason I was thinking that reverse was over and down. I was wrong! Yes, so it would be when shifting from fourth to fifth is when you don't want to miss and hit reverse. And yes, John is correct. It is a solenoid that makes it harder to push over to get it in reverse.

Brett.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and here she is... :D

Reactions: 130fe
1 - 20 of 24 Posts