Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a lead on a 1968 camaro ss. The woman is a friend of my father, so heres the info she gave me. Has the build sheet, she took it out of the car when she bought it, and stored it safely. (smart woman) The car has SS Hubcaps, steering wheel, emblems and gas cap. She says its a bright red, like candy apple red. Has a 350..this im not sure how true it is, some one told her it has a 350, so the engine could be a factory 350 or a 327 car with a 350.. its far from me so i need to plan a day to look at it. it has no vinyl top. she says she took the wheels and hubcaps/red line tires so no one would steal them also, she says it runs and drives, but needs a resto(she was quoted 8grand to restore.. no idea what that means). Still a plus in my book. 3grand is her price., shes still not sure if she wants to sell it.. but theres hope.

i dont have any vin or stuff like that, but im gonna ask her to look at the build sheet.

If i get it, im going to a 327, how hard is it to find a motor thats close to what the car came with?

also, what do 1968 ss Hub caps look like?:beers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I plan to! its not really that far, but its still about 30miles from me, which is alot due to how busy i am. Im just dieing to see it and snap photos.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'd walk the thirty miles! If it is what she says it is the price is about 10K to low, maybe more depending on the condition. I paid 12K for a 68 SS project car three years ago. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Even if the car was a plane jane (non ss), 3 grand for a runnin, driveable car is a good buy. I would look for rust in the usual places, and work toward number matching, etc. I would not get caught up in the SS thing. 3 grand for 68? Go for it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou Brad and Pat, il keep that in mind.. She mentions ''i pulled the caps off'' so im not sure what shemeans for wheels, rally wheels are stock wheel covers, what dothe wheel covers look like? I would rather build it with hub caps.. dont see many like that!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Steel wheels would be stock in most applications. Several different variations of hubcaps might have been on it original from "poverty/dog dish" with body color wheels to full SS caps or even "Mag Style". You will just have to wait and see. I'm not a big fan of rallies either, stop in tomorrow and I'll try and post a couple photos of mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kool thanks! were there 327 ss? or did the ss include the ss stuff, suspension and the 350 or 397? basicly it unlocked the 350 and 396 right?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Sounds like a horrible deal. Give her address to me and I can let her down easy for you. Man what a find! Have fun with your new project I don"t see how you could go wrong with that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Never an ss w/ 327.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Here's a couple wheel cover options for the 68 camaro. My wifes ragtop with mags and my bronze 68 L35 RS/SS with SS hubcaps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beautiful cars Pat. Same color as this one im interested in. She says its ''fire engine red'' which would probaly mean Matador Red.(she doesnt know the facts, just the closest thing to it) Im not sure if i like the SS hubcaps, they sure are different, but they remind me of impala wheel covers, id probaly still use them, or save them. I really like the Mag wheel covers though, those are very nice. Thx for sharing Pat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts