·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01A 68 12437
NO12 Z0125
712 ZZ (trim tag)

124378N370125

Of course, I'm certain this was a COPO car (with added Z28 package, 1 of 1 Okay'd for Pete Estes), delivered to Yenko (for the 427 conversion) shipped to Baldwin Chevrolet (and Mr. Rosen's shop) and driven by Grumpy Jenkins...okay maybe not. ;) But there is an outside chance, it did get purchased from Van-T Chevrolet in Kansas City!
(near Dick Harrell's shop). :D :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm green with '68 trim tags, and don't know what I have...I'm thinking of chopping this one (more) to save a different car and don't want to kill anything that someone might have an interest in...(I've picked up 4 Z28's 70-73 that idiots used to fix their much rustier base cars, twice it was too late to save anything, and I don't want to be the bonehead!)

·
3,176 Posts
Not only green with 68 trim tags the car is Green as well, British Green that is, One of the fist that got that color in Jan of 68.

is it org drivetrain car or is it to far gone to save. Let me know if you part out the shell or any of the body parts will you? Mahalo

1 = Chevrolet
2 = Camaro
4 = 8-cylinder engine
37 = coupe body
8 = 1968 model year
N = Norwood, OH assembly plant
370125 = vehicle serial number sequence

Decode for body number: 020125

01A = Built the First week of January.
68-12437 = Coupe.
NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio.
712 = Standard Black Bucket Seats.
Z-Z = Car Color is British Green

·
Registered
612 Posts
You have some bad Number info there need to recheck the trim tag and get corrections here is what i have with what i could decipher from your post.

1 = Chevrolet
2 = Camaro
4 = 8-cylinder engine
37 = coupe body
8 = 1968 model year
N = Norwood, OH assembly plant
370125 = vehicle serial number sequence

01A = Built the First week of January.
68-12437 = Coupe.
= Built in Norwood Ohio.
712 = Standard Black Bucket Seats.
Z-Z = Car Color is British Green
No Assm. Plant given.

we Know its a Norwood built Car definetly but what you need to know is that the 68 trim tag was the the least informitave of all the first gen tags , there is nothing on it that would indicate a SS/Z28/RS or any options at all other then color or Interior

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the NO12 is actually really bad handwriting on my part.
I was writing with a flashlight in hand; but the Z0125 is correct, I will double check it but I am certain about the "Z" before the number (I was joking with a friend about it having 3 "Z's" on the tag...it's gotta be a Z28! ;) )

And it still sports the British green under a nice red primer overspray (okay not so nice ;) ), with white Z28 stripes (makes it a Z right? ;) ) Sadly the engine/trans/original subframe/gastank and rear all gone, (both the sub and rear are Nova units) I'm just debating about saving it since the floors are pretty good are is the trunk/rockers/around the windows, everything but around the wheel lips and the firewall (aborted race car)

I'll take some pics of the tag and have my friend host 'em (she's better at that stuff) and see what you make of it!

Thank you for the decode and I'll post pics tommorrow!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, I'm new here but I'm resurrecting this 17 year old thread haha! I just bought the car radial72 used to have and found this thread after a google search of the VIN. I bought it as a parts car along with another '68 but then realized it's a build-able car. The firewall and dash are hacked but fixable, the front clip was recently scavenged, rear quarter/fender lips are still rusty, but the floors and front wheel tubs, etc are decent. I'm interested in building it but it sure would be nice to know what it was. It's probably just a non-SS 327 car but like radial72 said there some very old stripes on the original paint, so that glimmer of possibility is there! It sure would be nice to know before a build, so as a hail mary I've got a request into Chevy Muscle Docs to see if I can find the selling dealer information on this car. Would be a miracle if I could track anything down on the car but it's worth a shot, so stay tuned!

IMG_6296.jpg
IMG_6299.jpg
IMG_6298.jpg

The old British Green poking through

IMG_6309.jpg

·
Retired
26,894 Posts
Anyone else think it's odd the VIN is N370125 and the cowl tag is 70125? Leevon any chance you can post a pic of the VIN tag? Maybe find the partial under the cowl on the pass side or down by the hole for the blower motor...

Kinda cool to see a car come back up after all these years.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Anyone else think it's odd the VIN is N370125 and the cowl tag is 70125?
Nope. Fits fine Dennis. I'd like to see a better picture of the firewall. Looking for a Muncie speedo cable hole.

Ed

·
15,217 Posts
Number on CT has no correlation to the VIN#

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome Leevon, have you checked the axle codes ?

1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding (camaros.org)
I'm told that the running gear is now Nova, but I do plan to check soon as I have a chance.

Anyone else think it's odd the VIN is N370125 and the cowl tag is 70125? Leevon any chance you can post a pic of the VIN tag? Maybe find the partial under the cowl on the pass side or down by the hole for the blower motor...

Kinda cool to see a car come back up after all these years.
Yeah, super strange. I wondered at first if the title wasn't re-issued or re-assigned at some point? But a state-assigned title wouldn't use the factory sequence at the beginning. So this is either a extremely coincidental or I'm missing something. I'll get a pic of the VIN tag or partial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nope. Fits fine Dennis. I'd like to see a better picture of the firewall. Looking for a Muncie speedo cable hole.

Ed
Met too, I don't see the hole clearly in my pics but it could have been filled I guess. There are other indications that it's a 4 speed car (hole) but I haven't crawled under to see if the hole is butchered or if there is a stiffener, etc. Will get a closer look at all this and post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having fun with this mystery! I sent a records request to NCRS and received the following letter. The car was built on 1/5/68 and sold to Pappas Chevrolet in Kansas City. That's great news because it's probably been in Missouri or Kansas it's whole life, where I've been most of my life. I already have a title records request in to Kansas. I will do one in Missouri now. I should be able to build an ownership history from both states, and I doubt it's many people because the car has clearly been a mess for a couple decades if not more. If I can locate a prior owner that would be awesome. Even better if I could find some official documentation. Pappas Chevrolet is no longer around, but the Pappas family is still associated with a Toyota dealer so maybe there are records.

Here's where I'm day dreaming. Pappas was incorporated in March 1968, so this had to be one of the first cars they sold. A Google image search located the image below which appears to be taken in winter '67/68 based on the Camaros in the showroom. Notice the green (British Green?) what looks like SS in the window. Could this be the car?

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,903 Posts
Well, guess it doesn't hurt to dream. It certainly is a cool photo !

I take it you haven't checked the axle code yet ?:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nope, it's still sitting in the grass, but it will be on a trailer soon, might be able to take a look. I'm not sure why the prior owner believes it to be Nova running gear, that could be the reason. But the guy I bought it from said the same, all Nova clip and axle.

The car in the dealership photo looks like a non-spoiler car and the trunk lid on my car appears original to the car and a non-spoiler. That doesn't mean anything but I have to wonder, how many green '68 non-spoiler cars did Pappas have in winter '68? Couldn't be many, if not just one.

·
Registered
1968 Z28 RS Camaro 302 British Green M.O.
320 Posts
Yes, the NO12 is actually really bad handwriting on my part.
I was writing with a flashlight in hand; but the Z0125 is correct, I will double check it but I am certain about the "Z" before the number (I was joking with a friend about it having 3 "Z's" on the tag...it's gotta be a Z28! ;) )

And it still sports the British green under a nice red primer overspray (okay not so nice ;) ), with white Z28 stripes (makes it a Z right? ;) ) Sadly the engine/trans/original subframe/gastank and rear all gone, (both the sub and rear are Nova units) I'm just debating about saving it since the floors are pretty good are is the trunk/rockers/around the windows, everything but around the wheel lips and the firewall (aborted race car)

I'll take some pics of the tag and have my friend host 'em (she's better at that stuff) and see what you make of it!

Thank you for the decode and I'll post pics tommorrow!
Hey man, the tag looks like it says:
after "NOR 70125", not "Z0125". Anyone else see that? Dianna

1 - 20 of 23 Posts