Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for these spacers which hold the center A/c vent ends (part that rotates) in place. I have a repro of the vent but it did not come with the spacers :confused:. I am not sure why. I have seen a couple of places on line that supposedly sell the vent part with the spacers so I am sure they are out there somewhere....I just do not know where.
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
As I remember, aren't those just a piece of felt. About 1/8" x 3/16" x 1/2". Seems to me you could go to a upholstery shop & get something that would work.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
They are felt. Go to Home Depot and get some felt furniture glides or glass table protectors (or whatever the little felt circles are called) and cut them to fit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Milt,
Thanks. How are those felt pieces held in place??? Push on the vent rotating assembly and they will pop right out wont they?? or are they held in place by the plastic shroud behind the vent....Let me know if you recall...:beers:
thanks, Joe W.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,457 Posts
While we're at it, I'm installing a VA setup in my '68 and have no idea how to assemble the center vent. I've got a repro center vent and have secured the rotating air deflector into the vent, but I'm not sure what else to do. It seems like there should be a seal between the vent and the duct (the foam piece below) as well as between the vent and the rotating air deflector (the felt piece I've just laid in there). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike and any other interested parties,
I found out from V.A. that there is a special duct adaptor for the factory A/C vent. I have purchased it from them and will let you know how it works out. If you buy the non-air kit it does not come with this part :mad:. 496999-VCI 67-68 CAMARO OEM CENTER LOUVER $12.95. I also bought the felt from Home Depot. I assume since the felt has sticky backing you press the felt firmly against the rotating shaft of the center vent and then stick it to the side metal of the housing to hold the rotating portion in place. I will be trying this tomorrow and I will let you know. I think the piece will need to extend the full depth of the housing for max adhesion and so that it pushes against the new center adaptor (so it will not come loose in the future)...all guesses so far:confused:...will let you know. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I did the vintage air on my 68 as well and opted for the original center A/C duct since the plastic looked so cheesy. I ran into the same problem with the vent. I tried using the foam to tighten it up but had no luck. I ended up using some nylon bushings that fit perfectly on the ends of the louvered piece. It fits nice and tight now and has the perfect amount of tension for angle adjustment. You can see the bushings in my picture (yellow). You don't notice them unless you get down eye level and close to the duct.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
On my original there was no stickiness on the felt for friction. It was just put in on top of the vent posts and when you assembled it all the felt compressed on the post.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Lucky,
I'm considering the vintage air as well (kind of need it in the summer in Vegas) can you use the original control, or do you have to go with the vintage air one. sorry about the hijack:eek:.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Milt,
I am installing the VA Gen IV system right now. The controls remain on this factory non air system except you place a vinyl cover plate over the original control plate so that all the functions are clear. Personally I do not think I will use the vinyl piece because it is fairly clear how it works anyway. The other VA systems may have a different control panel, I am not sure.

The sure fit gen IV is nice because you can ditch the control cables which make the control sliders tough to move (at least they did on mine) the "fly by wire" as they call it uses electrical connections to operate the damper doors of the new system. It is really very nice.

I am doing a bit of customizing and relocating the water heater lines to a factory big block car location (mine is currently a SB). I have trimmed the lines that came with the non air kit and fabricated new lines with rubber hoses found at A.Z. and piece parts of the VA lines. The new line location will exit out the original heater box in the factory BB location (so it will look pretty stock and use the stock heater lines both 3/4 and 5/8). I am also taking the refrigerant lines through the blower hole of the heater box and fire wall, under the fender and to the condenser and compressor. This will clean up the look nicely. I have e-mailed Va about this but they are slow to act on this stuff. They have a Chevelle kit that routes the lines similar to this but not quite. You can look at the instruction sheets on line for this....
http://www.vintageair.com/GenIV systems/Chevy/chevelle/68 69 wo ac chevelle.pdf.

It is similar to the camaro but not quite. It will give you a bunch of good ideas for a stealth install. I am hoping that the customizing I am doing will give VA some ideas of how to make their system "clean up" and look better. My feeling is that the reroute will cost the same as the way it currently ships...or just a couple of bucks more.

Just to let you know this has taken LOTS of time to get to where I am. I have had the box and many of the lines in and out of the car several times making sure I get it right. I am even trying to use the factory a/c glove box insert. I have had to trim it up a bit but I think it will work. The biggest time taker was customizing my astrovent outlets so they would still work with the control knobs...VA system does not account for them functioning...I think this is strange. The way I have them rigged passenger and driver will be able to adjust their own vent.

I will take a bunch of shots and post them on my Cardomain site when I am done.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Milt,
Overall I'm very happy with the Vintage Air install. As Joe mentioned, you retain your factory control. The vinyl plate that you replace can be seen in my pic. I think it is a pretty clean install. I think the toughest part was getting all the ducts under the dash to fit well. You can't use your factory glove box because of the added ducting. The shorter one they give you to use is pretty cheesy but I had to use it. Make sure you take care of any rewiring or other maintenance back there because there isn't much room once all the ducts are installed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike,
As far as I can tell so far the factory a/c glove box will work. I have trimmed 1/2" off the bottom and approx. 1/4' off the sides to make it a bit shallower. The duct for the passenger vent ...as far as I can tell...can run over top of the glove box if necessary. I compared the depth and size of the VA supplied box with the original a/c car box (which they repop) and the are VERY close. I think the trimming I have done will do the trick. The only thing that will be different is that the VA box is in 2 parts and will allow a disassemble if there is an issue with the wiring or a reset is needed where as the way I am going it may be a bit of a pain in the butt to deal with that.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
That's good to know. I didn't realize the A/C glove box would work. I just ended up using the 2 piece box that Vintage Air provides. It wasn't too bad, just won't hold much.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have uploaded photso to my car domain site of the a/c system parts to date. Milt thanks for the felt pad suggestion..it works nicely. You can see the other concepts that I am working on for the heater lines. So far it is working really well. I had to modify a few VA items and some original pieces but so far so good. Let me know what you think.

It is on page 17 of the site. Scroll down a bit..paint is the first item.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3879999/1968-chevrolet-camaro-ss

I have actually decided on lemans blue...I really like it..with the black SS stripe (no it isn't factory but it will look great). I am doing the stripe in tape so if I change my mind later I can zip it off and paint it as per the factory.

Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paul,
Wish I had an original center housing.I already have the chrome piece. If the ebay part was for $25 I would buy it. Since this is a bid and the price will likely end up above $50 plus shipping I will pass. I do not need another original part to figure out how to make it fit. Do you have any photos on how you made it work...for the others who might want to try it?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
After reading some threads on this topic I made spacer tabs for mine out of a rubber eraser I found around the house. Seems to provide the right amount of friction. I think I'll try rubber cement to attach them to the sides of the vent. If that doesn't feel like it might hold I may do JB weld like pic 56 in this great thread: http://www.blown.net/cars/camaro68/ac/index.html

I have a question (sorry if I'm hijacking). Does this vent attach directly to the duct or does the metal of the dash sandwich between them? My car is at the restorers so I can't just try it to see. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I just picked up an original GM center duct and now I see the dilemma. The GM (or repop) vent fits inside the V/A duct (pic 1 & 2). The diffuser will slide from front to back in the slot it goes in and thus the need for a lot of felt or rubber. The GM duct however fits inside the vent and slides all the way up to where it holds the diffuser in the front most end of the slots it fits in (pic 3). Only a small amount of felt would be needed to provide friction to keep the diffuser where you set it.

Now I have the decision which duct to use. I will have to cut out most of the rubber I glued in the slot if I use the GM duct. And then I have to figure out how to adapt the inlet to fit the 2 1/2 inch hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mike...what kind of nylon spacers did you use, & what glue. I tried felt w/adhesive backing. Was ok until I pushed hard against the louver unit...don't trust it long term. Then cut some 1/8" plastic & glued with silicone adhesive. Still not sure this is good long term. I like the idea of high density nylon, maybe 3/16 thick vs 1/8. Any addl. suggestion are appreciated.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts