Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy Camaro Convertible RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the plan for our 1968 Camaro that we affectionately refer to as “Lil’ Red”. She has never been restored and is in need of some refreshing. I contemplated long and hard about which direction to go with her….(1) restore her with her original 327 / 210 hp engine and powerglide or (2) go the restomod route. Knowing that she is not particularly rare and thanks to an unscrupulous transmission shop no longer has her original transmission I decided to go the restomod way. It was not an easy decision since this car has been in my family since before I was born the idea of changing the overall character of the car was not something that I took lightly but I wanted something that was fun, that I would enjoy with my family (with better brakes and suspension), and that I could pass down to my son.

So here are the major points of the plan:

Fix the (hopefully) minor rust issues and rustproof the parts the factory did not originally paint
LS3 6.2L 525 hp Engine & 4L70-E Transmission from Chevy Performance Connect & Cruise
Heidt’s Front Subframe
Heidt’s Independent Rear Suspension
Vintage Air – R-134A Air Conditioning System (replaces existing R-12 system)
Refresh the paint and put a new bubble bee stripe on her nose

Obviously, there are a lot of small details that will go into this build but I am well aware (thanks to the members of Camaros.net) that there is a lot that I don’t know and will have to learn as I go along and that my pocketbook will also feel the pain well beyond my budget.

Its gonna be fun!

Attachments

·
13,851 Posts
Great plan. I would however look at other suspensions

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Welcome, John. Looks like a nice car. The family and I were in Kingwood back in June visiting my brother. Would've looked you up one evening.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
buenymayor,

Next time you are in town you should come by and have a cold one.

John

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I started looking at other suspensions and there are just so many choices out there especially for the front subframe. I still keep coming back to Heidts for the biggest bang for the buck. I've looked at DSE (the consensus seems to be that it is the standard bearer), Speedtech, Art Morrison, TCI, and the Roadster Shop. All these guys look to have great products but there are thousands of dollars to be paid in a premium.

So my question to the group is, if this is primarily going to be a street machine (98% of the time) and ride quality is a major factor in my decision making, what is the reason not to go with Heidts?

The only other product that I was considering was the full frame option from the Roadster Shop. This being a convertible, I would think the extra structural rigidity would be a big factor in the overall ride quality and performance. I would apprecate thoughts on that as well.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Who in your family used to own the car? You were the lucky one to get it. :thumbsup:

Whatever brand you choose, the purchase of a new sub frame and rear suspension will is a sizable investment. Make sure you add up the costs of the accessories that are required to get the parts to work together. Once you add up the total costs, the percentage differences between the different manufacturers is not that much.

For example: You buy a new sub frame. The sub frame comes with new spindles so now you will have to buy new brakes. You buy bigger brakes then the 14" rims no longer fit so now you got to buy new wheels and tires. Certain sub-frames will force you to buy their motor mounts. The new sub-frame might have a rack and pinion steering rack. Now you got to either adapt your old steering column or buy a new one. Headers are another possible adder. A new oil pan for the engine is another. Don't forget the transmission cross member.

One thing that was not on your list was a set of sub-frame connectors.

I live in Tomball. If you would like to see a Detroit Speed sub-frame and quadralink rear suspension first hand, send me an email and I will give you my address. I cannot take you for a ride because I do not have an engine yet. :(

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it has been some time since I have posted anything but I have been hard at work on the project.

I am almost ready to send the car to the media blaster. The car just lacks a few more parts and will be completely stripped.

We pulled the old engine and powerglide transmission on New Years Eve with my father and my brother.

Question for the group; I have left most of the bolts that fit in the body from various accessories, etc. in the body. My thinking was that it just easier to keep track of the bolts and where they go and keep primer out of the threads. Should I leave these bolts in place for the media blast/primer process or should I remove them?

Looking forward to the good guys event in Dallas in March and I am bringing my shopping list. Gonna be fun.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its been a while since my last update. I did some selective media blasting with my HF blaster and discovered a lot of rust on the upper dash by the windshield, the quarter panels and the passenger side floor pan.

I ordered a new dash from AMD and went to work replacing. I think it was pretty successful.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts