Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so, I bought this 68 camaro a while back. The glovebox was always locked shut. I started to refresh the interior and I was able to reach under and open the glove box.

When it opened, I found the original window sheet, the manual, protecto plate and an iron on chevrolet decal all in the original plastic sleeve.

Now, its a pretty numbers matching car but had a full color change. Am I obligated to keep this car original??
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
WOW I would almost think so. But what is it?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the thing, it is just a base model 68. The only thing cool (if you like it), it that is is a one year Corvette Bronze with a vinyl top. If it was a RS or SS, it would be a no brainer.

I do have every bit of documentation from 68 in a folder I got. All service records and repair work. These docs were the only thing I didn't have an now I found them.

I can't believe I never looked in the glove box. Now I know why all the registration and insurance papers were always in the center console. The glove box was busted..

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Wow, mine started as a base also and went from there. Base with documentation HMM.

·
19,839 Posts
They were only new once.
As you said, if something special....no brainer.
Only so many "survivors" left
Your car, your call...I like survivor cars, and strip cars, and everything in between....

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't ever plan on selling it but, I think I will go forward with my plans and just clean up and keep all the stock parts just in case. I'm not really doing anything that can't be reversed in the future. I was just pumped to see this stuff as the history is pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You are not obligated to do any one thing but I will say when I bought a base 68 Chevy II Nova I've had nothing but positive words said to me about the car. I'm from the customizing side of the car world and keeping my 68 stock/original has been fun.

You never really know what might have been changed and at what time but on my 68, documenting things has been exciting now knowing some things.

On my car I've found correct date stamps or partial VIN stamps on things like the hood, gas tank, seat upholstery, door panels, and so on and what I found interesting on mine was why it has a 69 Camaro carb on it for an automatic. I'll never know if the dealer changed it or what but it's something additional to talk about to people.

Yep, your choice as to what you want to do but try and document what you can with high resolution pictures because like they say, it's only original once and a lot of things get lost due to time.

Jim

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, I have every piece of paperwork from 1968 until the 1st restore in 2006. Nothing was done from then until now but, I am taking pictures of everything as I take it apart. A few things were changed in 2006 but, I already knew it. I'm doing a subframe swap, motor and 6spd swap but, I will keep everything else the same. As I said, I will keep all the parts so, I have options.. who knows, maybe it will go back to stock and given to some grandkids..

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I was almost as lucky as you; I have the original protecto-plate but not the window sticker.
Mine is a 68 vert that came with a 210 hp 2 bbl 327 and powergide. I was never interested in keeping it original.
What I wanted was an original appearing "restified" car; one that was faster, stopped quicker and was fun to drive but
still looked as original as possible. I really don't care for "custom" Camaros. I do like to see bone stock Camaros; I just don't want to own a low-performance one. :)

Reactions: jimnecci and EVL SS

·
Registered
340 Posts
IMO, you are only obligated to do what increase your enjoyment of the car. Sounds like you like it as-is, which is cool, so roll with it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It is always nice to see "original" even if it is not as great to drive as a restomod . I found a one owner 2nd gen SS with all the paperwork etc and changed the few added changes back to mostly original . They are only like this once and harder to find . A different COOL look, you can always change it later if you want

·
Registered
41 Posts
You're n
Ok so, I bought this 68 camaro a while back. The glovebox was always locked shut. I started to refresh the interior and I was able to reach under and open the glove box.

When it opened, I found the original window sheet, the manual, protecto plate and an iron on chevrolet decal all in the original plastic sleeve.

Now, its a pretty numbers matching car but had a full color change. Am I obligated to keep this car original??
Dave View attachment 266704 View attachment 266705 View attachment 266706
You're not obligated to do anything unless you feel like you are some steward of history. You paid for it and if yoú want to put wings on it or if you want attempt to increase value by returning the color it's your option but remember we never get out what goes in.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I am going to go forward with the engine/trans swap. I doubt I ever will but, I will just keep all the old parts in case I sell it and someone wants it all. Who knows, maybe someday in the far future, I will return it to stock..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts