Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have, I believe, a 1968 DZ302 motor. The engine number stamped on the front tab of the motor is V0810DZ. The date clock shows J 16 7. I believe this to mean it was assembled in Flint on August 10th, and was cast on October 16th 1967.
My first preference would be to find out if the car it came is is still around and reunite the motor with the car. If not, I suppose if someone had a 1968 Z28 in need of a correct motor, this would work. The serial number is still on the front tab as well. Is there any way to find out if the car exists? How much would this motor be worth? I don't believe the ehads are original nor the intake & carb, although I do have a line on a stock original DZ 302 intake and carb.

TIA

Brad

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Is it a 2 bolt or 4 bolt main? What is the block casting #? DZ would be a 69 302 w/4 bolt mains. However the 67 casting date would indicate 2 bolt main. The assembly date is very early 69 model, so I guess it's not out of the question that Chevrolet wanted to use up some left over 68 blocks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is why I posted here. I figured you guys would know what I have better than I do. I checked a couple of sites and was convinced it was a '68, due to the manufacturing dates, but if you say it is a '69.... that's fine too. Like I said, I don't know what to do with it. Rebuild it and buy a car to put it in, sell it as is, or find the car it belongs in. The latter being my preference by far.

Thanks for the info.
Brad

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
Brad

What is the casting number of the block?
It is located on the bellhousing flange on the drivers side rear of the block.
It should be a 7 digit number like 3970010.

Let us know what you have and we can determine a year.

·
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The suffix as noted above is definitely a DZ, but everything I have looked at with the numbers I have provided leads me in the direction of a '68 block.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
What is the VIN #? Is it above, or below 500000?

Of course, it COULD be a re-stamped block.

·
3,176 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
In late sept 68 one of my friends bought a new Z off the showroom floor of Heimbach & Sweat in Pennsburg Pa. Green with Black on Black and chambered pipe.
He beat the **** out of it and in Dec. it broke mid street race. No plugs were mangled and nothing showed outside so it wound up on the lift at Bergeys in Franconia, Pa. with the pan down and half a dozen of us looking up into a 2 bolt main small block with a rod visiting the cam.
After the "what the ****" and lowering the car to get a look at the stamp and guess what ..."DZ". Car got a new warranty motor, also the chambered pipes removed without notice, and no cost at all.
All these years later though everyone who "knows their Camaros" tells me I'm full of ****.

Steve

·
3,176 Posts
3d Cad ?? was it a 68 or 69 Z Late Sept of 68 you could have gotten a 69 new off the floor. Strange how the car was a 2 bolt block though with the DZ suffix. As for the chambered pipes the dealers removed them at no charge and most times without asking the owners think it had something to do with the amount of noise they produced. John Z or Kurt S any thoughts??

------------------
Jeff 67/68(2) & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
http://www.hawaiianislandcamaros.org

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
It was a 69. Gorgeous car. Dk green. I think it was the first Z into the dealer in the new model year. It was on the floor inside.
If your car went in to have bug washed off the windshield and you had chambered pipes you didn't get the car back until they were swapped off. Stopped some cars from going back to the dealers for any service.

Steve

·
Retired
26,663 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe the 69 Z started out as a 2bolt and went to 4bolt some time after first production of the 69 year started...

I also agree with Jeff, I smell a restamp!! There have been several posts lately that lend themselfs to the seedy side of our passion.

·
3,176 Posts
A partial VIN stamp of 312132 tells me its a 68 which should have the MO suffix and not the DZ. What was before the 312132 18N or 18L ? The VIN itself tells me it was early enough to not even come close to having a DZ coded block in the car since it was the 12,132 car off the line of either plant.

Again I smell a Restamp

------------------
Jeff 67/68(2) & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
http://www.hawaiianislandcamaros.org

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Definately a re-stamped block. Probably by someone who didn't do their research, and thought that all 302's came with the DZ code. Verification comes from the fact that the DZ code did not exist when the engine was supposedly built.

BTW, do you know if the engine is, in fact, a 302?

[This message has been edited by Kyvox (edited 10-17-2002).]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts