Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've been gathering as much information and insight I can from the forums and other members. I decided to start the build thread to stay motivated and share in the process! I utilize the military base hobby shops and my garage for as much of the work as possible to save money and it's a blast!

After looking up the codes the car was Butternut Yellow with a black vinyl top, V8. My dad had a 1967 Camaro and the first gens have always been a favorite growing up.

My plan:
LS3 415 Stroker
T56 Magnum transmission
Moser 12 bolt w/ Wavetrac 3.73 ratio
RideTech Stage II Coilover Kit
335/275 Tires
18x12, 18x10 Wheels

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I go through the process of bringing the car back to life. Input is always welcome, thanks for following along!

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Hey Grant,

Sounds like a healthy car you are planning on building. Congrats on getting her started. I might suggest that since you are going with a 6 speed, you might want to go a hair lower in the gear ratio to a 3.90 or 4.11. Back in the day, against everyone's suggestions, I had 4:10's in my 12 bolt with a muncie m-22 4 speed wouldn't have traded it for a second. Was sooo much fun to drive - yeah it sucked on the highway, but i lived out in the sticks so those trips were far and few. Now with the addition of 2 added gears - I would (and am) running 4:11's in my build again:yes:
Good luck, keep up posted on progress and thx for your service:beers:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Grant,

Sounds like a healthy car you are planning on building. Congrats on getting her started. I might suggest that since you are going with a 6 speed, you might want to go a hair lower in the gear ratio to a 3.90 or 4.11. Back in the day, against everyone's suggestions, I had 4:10's in my 12 bolt with a muncie m-22 4 speed wouldn't have traded it for a second. Was sooo much fun to drive - yeah it sucked on the highway, but i lived out in the sticks so those trips were far and few. Now with the addition of 2 added gears - I would (and am) running 4:11's in my build again:yes:
Good luck, keep up posted on progress and thx for your service:beers:
Thanks for the suggestions. I initially thought 3.73 as is what a nice middle ground from what I've ridden in. My old stock WS6 and a friends with 4.10 which seems really aggressive. Wish there was a simple way to test them all :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had 373 gears in my last car with a T56 magnum and 6th was seldom used unless I was really moving as it really pulled the motor down. Mind you I was running 713hp/732tq in a big inch motor which never really phased it when i'd roll into it but if I were doing that again it would be 4:10 gears.

GLW the build. Looks like it'll be a fun car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No coil overs yet as they were on back order. But I did get the rear shipped last week! I appreciate all the advice from everyone, ended up going with the Moser 12 bolt, 35 spline Wavetrac, 3.73 ratio. Need to figure out how to get the full measurements so I can get the wheel offset perfect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But if you ever plan on running forced induction.. that first gear will be a tire frying gear! Sounds like a wild ride/ g -machine / pro -tourer.

Good luck with the work.. make sure you plan out your mini tubs first before you do your rear end/ suspension!
I initially thought about boost but decided to keep it NA. I think I'll be happy for quite a while sitting around 600hp :grin2:
Definitely planning on tubbing. Moser built it for the 335 tires. Need to figure out a good tub kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I initially thought about boost but decided to keep it NA. I think I'll be happy for quite a while sitting around 600hp :grin2:
Definitely planning on tubbing. Moser built it for the 335 tires. Need to figure out a good tub kit.
Most people I have seen run detroit speed. I know with my twin turbo set .. that my 275's will have zero grip :crying:

And sounds good!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it's been forever since I updated the project. Life hit hard but I'm back and motivated to keep working on the car. I have some hired help now and we actually fit the new roof skin and are prepping for welding. Going to clean up the rust, use some weld through primer, weld it, then seam seal it all up. Excited to keep going...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car is getting towed away for new metal and everything lined up and primed at a local shop in Colorado Springs. LS3 should be finished in the next couple months as well. Feels great to be making progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Car is getting towed away for new metal and everything lined up and primed at a local shop in Colorado Springs. LS3 should be finished in the next couple months as well. Feels great to be making progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colorado Springs was my home town before moving to a warmer climate.

What shop?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered the T56 Magnum 2.66 First. Kit included everything to go from the transmission to the rear end. APT helped figure out the setup with the Science Friction Street Slayer Stage II clutch, driveshaft, and more. Body work should be done and the car primed in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts