Votes: 0 0.0%
  • any other brands out there

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know it's been talked about alot on here but finally gonna buy it. I already have a RS car but vacuum setup , looking to buy the Electric upgrade . What is the consensus on here on which set up to buy ? Thanks alot

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
I’ve used Retro Electro and Detroit Speed. I prefer Retro Electro by far.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
My car is a 67. There may be differences in what you have. This is a Retro Electro setup. I just got it Friday. I don't think the DSE setup was an easy fit on my car. I didn't follow the directions to a T. I elected to cut out the bracket where the interference exists rather than deform the bracket and I mounted the controls solid. There was more interference than I suspected. As you can see a LED headlight with a fan setup out back is a non starter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
My car is a 67. There may be differences in what you have. This is a Retro Electro setup. I just got it Friday. I don't think the DSE setup was an easy fit on my car. I didn't follow the directions to a T. I elected to cut out the bracket where the interference exists rather than deform the bracket and I mounted the controls solid. There was more interference than I suspected. As you can see a LED headlight with a fan setup out back is a non starter.
Retro Electro for a 69 doesn’t look anything like that, assuming i assembled it correctly. LED headlights with a fan fit fine in my case. Not sure how a 68 compares to 67 vs 69.

Edit: 68 is similar to 67 per their instructions.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
The Retro setup is the 67 setup upsized. Based on what I see in CHQs parts list a 69 is very different due to the lack of common parts but a 68 shares parts. There is enough parts sharing that I suspect the bellcrank on a 68 is on the same centerline as a 67 and the motor winds up on the same centerline as mine. That’s speculation on my part though.
I need to talk to Mark at Retro because I wonder if I need to put the original switches, or parts of similar shape, back in to serve as travel stops.
One door still has what appears to be a soft channel bump stop on it. There was a glue mark on the drivers side where one existed there also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like more guys go with the electro setup Is it easier to install ? What LED headlight are o guys running ?..

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Retro Electro design is much cleaner than DSE imho. DSE design is a kludge imho. Bandaids on the bandaids....

Don

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I agree with Don that Retro is cleaner. You can go to both websites and read/download their installation directions. That may help you decide. there is interference between the Retro motor and the mount that has to be addressed. I believe mine is a little more than what was expected by Retro though thats speculation on my part. I elected a cut off wheel and a finger sander over a hammer. I am somewhat used to finding that my cars parts don't always match up with others though. I looked at the instructions for a 68 and I suspect that Chevy figured out how to bolt a bellcrank setup into the motor mount location they made for 67 and your experience will somewhat mirror mine. Don's right that its bandaids on bandaids.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts