Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here. Been looking again for a Camaro have found a couple that seem to be what I'm looking for, but here is the question.
Since the 68 is the toughest to tell what it truly is and most dont seem to have the original drivetrain in them are there any other ways to tell ?

Thanks guys any help would be very much appreciated

And I do have the Jerry MacNeish books

·
Super Moderator
32,354 Posts
Welcome, Paul. You have the Master's book, I can't think of anything more to suggest.
Tire pressure sticker on the glovebox door, only Z/28's came with 15 inch wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
You would have to ask more specific questions about each car.

If the engine is gone, very tough to tell in 68 for a Z28. But there are clues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry guys about not being specific?. Well the car I'm looking at owner isn't sure which it is. He bought it 15 years ago and it is still the way he bought it. looks like all original body panels, interior, but like i said drive train isnt and he doesnt claim it to be either. Thia car shows well very clean in and out and under. Glove box sticker says 14" tires which I told him couldnt be a Z28 as they had 15" tires. I guess what I'm asking is, even if its a RS car thats ok with me, but then the price would then kinda need adjusting. He wants to still believe its a RS Z28 car, but if I knew what other indications would show its really an RS car then I can tell him this and I guess we could then negotiate a price or he may just keep it. Just dont want to over pay for a car thats not what it might be rather pay for something that really is what it is.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
welcome to team camaro!!
thats why i pick the 69 camaro!!

·
19,792 Posts
Without DOC's (which can be forged also) I would just call it a "plane Jane" and not get hung up on what it "could be". IMO

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Without DOC's (which can be forged also) I would just call it a "plane Jane" and not get hung up on what it "could be". IMO
Yea Doug:thumbsup: In a court of law people are innocent until proven guilty. With cars like this they are just another Camaro until proven otherwise. Some other things that could be looked at include the leaf springs being 4 ply, the rear would be at least a 3.73 or higher numerically, three core radiator, signs of any of the Z/28 parts remaining on the car like alternator, distributor, water pump, etc.. Just review Jerry's book and there are a lot of specific parts used on Z/28's. The seller as many may want to believe what they want to believe and sometimes you just have to move on. Good luck with obtaining one and welcome:thumbsup:

·
Registered
380 Posts
if you want a Z/28 I'd pass on this one if he "wants Z/28" money. Are you looking for a nice car and not so interested on a specific model or option? I'm sure you could find an actual verifiable Z/28 easy enough. you may point out even if its a Z/28, without the original engine the monetary value drops. not to say you could'nt locate the exact type engine and install. I would research and go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts