Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok as you all know i have just created the ultimate tribute car....of one of the most valued camaro's on the planet.....the one only z/28 convertible.

i need to have an apraisal for my insurance company to insure it.
i wanted opinions from other camaro gurus and not so gurus...

then i will have it profesionally appraised next week.

here are the statistics......

january 3rd week 1968 built
a numbers matching 1968 rs z/28 convert.
correct dated cating 3914678 block with nos 302 crank
VO103MO with my vin #
correct date 291 heads
M21 trans numbers matching.....
266 distributor
814 alternator
367 starter(correct date)
dated water pump
service package rear end dated k 15 1967 3:73:1 posi( rare rare rare)
j-l8 heavy duty front disc(rare rare rare)
crossram(real gm)
new crossram carbs not dated
new air cleaner.
2nd design crossram camshaft.
correct fan,belts hoses,wires,...... everything!!!!!!
dated tinted glass
power windows.
tilt steering
wood wheel (the best i have ever seen)
restored am/fm radio(mint)
all new wiring(entire car)
dated dec 1967 DF ralley wheels(5)!!!!!!
firestone sport car 200 tires
nos front end sheetmetal ....grille,headlight door covers.fenders,cowl vent,lower valance,
mouldings,nos doors!!!!!!!!

car has been completely blasted,shot with por 15 and tis coat primer.topped with ppg 2 stage. the car has been painted apart then re-assembled!!!

complete nut and bolt rotissery restoration with thousands of pictures throughout the entire job!!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,776 Posts
Beautiful car! Gas cap delete goes along with Glove box delete.

But hey, c'mon guys, he's come this far on the dream, His hand has the "itch" for the chrome knob.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Your car looks awesome, great job ! I would guess the appraisal at
$100,000. from your description and pics ?
But as with any appraisal , its up to the guy looking at it and his knowledge so it could vary alot. Best of luck.
1967 Camaro SS-RS Conv. L-88 427
1968 Camaro RS Z28 302
1968 Camaro SS-RS Conv. 350
1969 Camaro RS Z28 JL-8 X-Ram unrestored.
1969 Camaro SS-RS Conv. 396
1969 Camaro SS-RS 350

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
Very nice recreation and I look forward to seeing it one of these days. I think you need to be prepared with every reciept you have. You are going to be hard pressed to find an appraiser that will really associate the car with the one of one real deal. It is an identical reproduction to you but it's a '68 ragtop with 4wheel disc brakes and 2 4bbl carbs to the appraiser and the insurence. I think you will be lucky to get it appraised for what you have invested in the car.

Of course their website and numbers are screwy but Nada show high value on a '68 Z/28 @ $70k and an RS ragtop @ $65k from those number getting an apraiser to add the JL-8 and cross-ram might bring you over $100k. They show +25% for the cross-ram as an option in '69. I think you are going to have to work an apraiser very hard to see more. I hope you can get it insured for what you have into it, it's a great car and I know you have spared no expense...

Who did your top? Are you really happy with it or are there little things you would have liked them to do different?

Great job all around... :beers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is one cool ride!
Nice job on that.

How do those Firestones drive? I am about to buy those....

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
As a buyer the problem for me would be that for 100K , or even 65K ,I could buy some form of real deal performance model first gen. The 25% Dennis is talking about for the cross ram also assumes you have a real GM cross ram and correct carbs... not a knock off . But that being said I think if you find the right guy who absolutely loves the car, and it does look beautiful great job by the way, then buying your dream car for 100k regardless of what it started life is great. We are all throwing out the 100k number and you may think in is worth 200K and in this world who knows !
And an FYI... I have seen appraisals on first gens that have been absolutely stupid on price so I think if you make your case and show receipts and have your laptop there with all your photos of the resto you will probably get a good appraisal . Many of these appraisers know just enough about cars to be dangerous. Though the comps are going to be tough find unless they include pro tour cars.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Being a recreation, I would think the appraisal value would be whatever it cost you to create it or would cost to recreate another one. That would make you the best one to estimate the value, what do you have in it?
You have so many rare and valuable parts on that car, the appraiser is going to have a hard time and will rely heavily on your documented cost.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Beautiful car! Gas cap delete goes along with Glove box delete.

But hey, c'mon guys, he's come this far on the dream, His hand has the "itch" for the chrome knob.
I believe the gas cap is sitting on top of the gas pump as it looks like he is filling up at the station in the pic.

Neat car to replicate and a very nice job! I am a '69 guy so I don't have any help on the value. Good luck...

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
First of all let me say that car is friggin gorgeous. With that said..im not trying to be a jerk and i hope i dont get flogged for this but...its still a clone. I find it real hard to believe that a clone could come in with an appraisal at 100k. I was thinking more like 60- 65k. Am i crazy?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Craig,
Your not crazy. But these days finding and having the real thing is pretty hard to do sometimes. There are a whole lot of guys in the hobby and that would like to be in the hobby that could really care less. As long as it looks real and feels real then a lot of people do not care. Especially the nice ones like this 68 we are all drooling over. But cars like this I hate to use the word "clone". To me this is a very fine example of a ultra rare 68 Z28 vert. This appears to be a no expense type of restoration.

How about all of the 427 vetts and Hemi cars that are out there these days.... There are about 5-10 times more of them on the road now then back in the day. They still bring the BIG bucks.....

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
Maybe Jody or Charley will post up... Charley had that yellow ZL1 clone and might provide some good insite into price here.

Craig - Actual sales value vs appraisal and insurance value are 2 different animals. The car is a badass '68 RS ragtop without all the Z/28 add-ons. The appraiser will look the car over and go to the books and see a price somewhere in the $60 - $65k range. Then reciepts for the JL-8 and cross-ram parts and pieces are going to push it up from there.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Being that it is has the crossram and a Z28 clone I think that Jerry would be the best at giving this car a fair and educated appraisal. You would have to have an appraiser who truely understands what you are cloning and who better fits the bill.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys...

i was honestly thinking 100k. and will try to insure it for that...i woulndnt sell it for that.....the real one sold for what? 1.5mill 3-4 years ago? if this were one tenth the value i would be happy.......im not sure how much i have in it.. im afraid to even add up the stack of receipts........

i even have a pop and window sticker.........thanks for all the emails and pm,s.. over 50!!!! in just one day!!!!

you guys are great!! i hope to meet some of you in pleasanton this weekend.. see you at the show!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
The value, IMO, is in the quality of the restoration and replication. In this case I would value it higher because you actually took the effort to replicate everything on this car to the real thing. You didnt just slap z/28 and 302 emblems on it.

You know how much time and money you have into it. I would say it is worth $75K to $100K. If I was insuring it, I would insure it for at least $10K more than what I have into it.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
thanks guys...

i was honestly thinking 100k. and will try to insure it for that...i woulndnt sell it for that.....the real one sold for what? 1.5mill 3-4 years ago? if this were one tenth the value i would be happy.......im not sure how much i have in it.. im afraid to even add up the stack of receipts........

i even have a pop and window sticker.........thanks for all the emails and pm,s.. over 50!!!! in just one day!!!!

you guys are great!! i hope to meet some of you in pleasanton this weekend.. see you at the show!!!!
Beautiful car. Best year, best model, best engine, best color.
Well, I would have done the interior in parchment, but thats me.
I think a 100k appraisal is possible, but you will need to help the appriser with reciepts and documentation.
As far as 100K sale price, well all you need is some BJ type hype and two guys (or one guy and a chandelier) that want it, and that could happen too!
I would love to see the reaction at shows when the Camaro experts (there's always one) see the matching numbers and documentation.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just had it professionaly appraised......

it was written at 100K!!!!

wow, all that work,all that time.....i would not sell it for that........

but still happy......

now i go to my insurance company......what do i need to ask or know to protect myself?

1 - 20 of 123 Posts