Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased an original U17 cluster and console cluster for my 68 and need help with the conversion. The person I bought it from included the conversion harness to plug into my existing wiring harness so I don't have to replace the main but I can't find a schematic for it. Any help would be great.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Here are the American Auto Wire conversion harness directions. The PDFs are too large to post here but these will give you an idea if this is the harness you have.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts
Schematics are furnished with the AAW conversion harness. Been a few years since I did mine and I certainly don't remember how it was wired, but should still have the schematics if I can find it. Are you installing a tach as well ?

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts
I did find the schematic and installation instructions that came with the AAW conversion harness. I've never used my scanner :eek:....would be easier for me to just take some pics and post them if you want ? You might've noticed another fella, "Steno_74" is currently doing the conversion as well. He may be of more help than I ?

I'd send the instructions to ya, but I'd want them back when you're done. Or I can take some pics ? Let me know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did find the schematic and installation instructions that came with the AAW conversion harness. I've never used my scanner :eek:....would be easier for me to just take some pics and post them if you want ? You might've noticed another fella, "Steno_74" is currently doing the conversion as well. He may be of more help than I ?

I'd send the instructions to ya, but I'd want them back when you're done. Or I can take some pics ? Let me know.
That'd be great if you could send me pictures of the instructions. Calling the people at AAW really aren't the greatest help.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
:yes:....and the microwave and answering machine. Electricity will probably go out anyway, overloaded from A/C use. You stayin' :cool:, AL ?
I don't even bother setting the Tic-Toc-Tac !:p
Cool in the house, but I spent the day in the back yard building a fence. Ugh. Heading to Palm Springs Sat to visit my dad for a week - forecast is for 110 all week. Yow.

Where on I-5 are you?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the instructions, I called AAW and they told me I need to replace my main harness and forward light harness. I always though there was a way to install the gauges without replacing everything.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Sounds like your engine side wiring is no longer factory stock then. If those harnesses are intact and factory you only need to feed the Tachometer signal wire and ammeter leads through the bulkhead connector, then depending on the conversion harness purchased, either extend these three new connections using your own supplied wire or the included runs of wire to the bus bar and battery block, and to the coil. You use the same warning light lead for Temperature gauge sender, just attach the supplied correct connector.

The conversion harness kits take a factory non gauge vehicle and creates the service stub that the console gauges connect to the dash with. The kits rework existing wiring to create the stub. If your main dash harness has not been modified, or replaced with a custom or update style harness the conversion kits work without issue to create the service stub connection.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
If it was console shift automatic the console side of the harness would not need the shift indicator light, if it was a column shifter then converted to console shift manual, it still isn't a major issue requiring the engine/lighting and dash harnesses to be replaced.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts
The back-up light wiring (dash) is different as well. Not saying it can't be retrofitted, but not something AAW is going to recommend. I have no idea why they recommend replacing the front light harness ? RS conversion ??

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yeah there is something we are all missing here as to the status of his current wiring harnesses and loom routes. If the vehicle was already converted from column shift to console shift manual by the PO, and if done correctly all that wiring should be there and in any event doesn't effect the ability to convert from warning lights to gauges.

Since Travis is not posting details here I will no longer speculate as to what is up with his electrical situation, but if AAW thinks it's all crap and has to go, we can only assume Travis has described or sent them enough pictures to confirm the situation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually I haven't sent AAW a single picture, they just told me everything needs to be replaced but let me clarify. My car was originally an automatic floor shift car and all of the harnesses are original, I haven't changed anything yet. What I need to know is what do I need in order to successfully have my car run the U17 gauges. I assumed it'd be easier to convert for the gauges first then deal with the four speed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also just curious if anybody knew of any shops or mechanics in the MA or RI area to have this done, cause this seems pretty complicated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts