Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I access a starter/ignition switch wiring schematic? I've searched this site and cannot find one. I am still having an intermittent no-crank condition. I have low voltage (7 volts, but when cranking, it has about 10 volts) on the purple wire at the starter. I've checked the battery and both cables. Replaced the starter and ignition switch and bypassed the neutral switch. No help. Do you guys know of a common problem I should look at? Thanks for your time.
Terry

·
Registered
748 Posts
Member 69-ER sells colored wiring schematics for the 69 on ebay. They are broke down by systems. They will work for what you need. You can buy a download, CD or paper (less than $20 for all three) They are about 95% correct for the 68. I have used my set quite a few times to fix or understand a circuit.. Using them, I have helped other members with a question.

1969 69 Camaro Troubleshooting Manual and FULL COLOR WIRING DIAGRAMS Camero | eBay

·
Registered
149 Posts
Terry Joe, I disagree with Georgia68 because sending you to eBay to buy a schematic for a 69 doesn’t help you on a 68; which is why you posted your problem here. If you have an assembly manual for your car, there should be one in there. But looking at my 68 book, you need to verify with a digital volt meter what is at the battery first, without cranking and while cranking. If it’s good, you can move on to what is actually showing for the ignition switch-in and out voltage. Leave the switch hanging out of the dash and check the voltage with and without cranking. It sounds like you have a ground issue or a poor connection. Keep us posted and we’ll try to help.
And unfortunately, there is no common problem for any Camaro….except how much they cost to buy today.😆😆😆😆

·
Registered
748 Posts
I was not wrong in my answer to his question. just responded to his question with place to get the best diagrams to help him now and in future.

Agree you can post the problem here and read the responses and take action on the ones that look right. But having the colored diagrams at your fingertips will allow you to quickly look at the circuit whenever you need to review. Plus they will come in handy down the road when other electrical issues pop up on the car.

Having your own technical library on your car immediately handy is better than waiting on responses that could be right or may send you down the wrong trail. Everyone has their own way of expressing the answer to the question. Just being prepared is a tool always useful.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Where can I access a starter/ignition switch wiring schematic? I've searched this site and cannot find one. I am still having an intermittent no-crank condition. I have low voltage (7 volts, but when cranking, it has about 10 volts) on the purple wire at the starter. I've checked the battery and both cables. Replaced the starter and ignition switch and bypassed the neutral switch. No help. Do you guys know of a common problem I should look at? Thanks for your time.
Terry
Ideally get a diagram out of a factory shop manual. Also watch out for any service bulletins that may have been performed on your car.

Basically you have 12V coming out of the battery going through a fusible link wire to a junction stud on the backside of the radiator support. From there a wire then goes into a loom with inside the loom has a splice in it to allow extra legs or wires to come out with one wire going to the horn relay bus (and the other leg goes to the output post of the alternator and the last leg to the external voltage regulator which in your case are in no need to be concerned about).

On the horn relay bus there is another wire connected to it and this wire then goes to and through the firewall bulkhead connector and then once inside this wire then gets split again with a wire going to the ignition switch (and another leg going to the fuse block and another to the headlight switch but here again too, should not be of concern with your issue).

Now out of the ignition switch is the crank wire and depending on the car, there may or may not be a safety switch and regardless if there is a switch,power needs to pass through it and then back out of the firewall bulkhead connector to where back in the engine compartment this wire then goes down to the starter solenoid.

As you can see there are a few connections between the battery and the starter solenoid so I would get out your voltmeter and start at the battery with tests with the car off then cranking and then work your way through the circuit ending up at the starter solenoid.

You will notice a little drop the further you get away from the battery and this is normal and could add up to enough to prevent a no crank situation but there might be a spot or two the voltage really drops and then I would concentrate in those area's to find the issues.

Also too, reference your meters ground to one point such as the battery. Moving the ground from the battery for one test and then grounding it to a spot under the dash may show a voltage drop but it could be on the ground side.This is why it's important to keep the ground in one spot like the battery.

Oh, and so you know, intermittent issues can be a bear to trace down some times.

Jim

·
Registered
748 Posts
I got the set our member 69-er produces. You can find in forum where he used them to help a member with a problem. A search of his posts and you will see the schematics he sells. They are accurate for the 69 Camaro and more useful than the all in one diagram GM put in the shop manual. I have found them very useful on my 68.

The first 14 pages of his coloroed wiring diagrams are for the novice Camaro owner to learn basic diagram info. It contains introduction to basic automotive electricity, symbols, fuses, connectors and basic troubleshooting using diagrams.

The eBay link has a sample of the lights circuit.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I support the use of 69-ER's schematics. After the tutorial in the first few pages you will be able to follow a wiring schematic. There are only minor differences between a '68 and '69. By posting a question , the Team can help you narrow down a solution and referencing an area in 69-ER's schematics for you to explore.

Larry has gone out of his way to help the community with his schematics and on-line support.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Yes I support 69-er's wiring diagrams. I bought a set for my 69 and they are very well done.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Thanks for the support gang. While I do sell the complete manual on eBay I occasionally provide a snippet or two to help out anyone here at TC for specific problems. Georgia68 I appreciate you not just randomly uploading them for anyone, team member or not, just to wind up being freely spread over the internet although that's been happening since they became available.

The factory diagrams work but they don't reflect the actual harness as produced from factory. So, mine aren't just colorized. So, it really depends on the style of diagrams one is comfortable/familiar with.

Reactions: Oramac96

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
I've been after Larry to produce a 68 manual for years, but in the meantime, I use his 69 manual. Most of the drawings are "close enough" for the 67 and 68 and the troubleshooting tips are absolutely relevant.

C'mon Larry!!! Throw us poor 67 and 68 owners a bone!!

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
I've always wanted to but I don't have a harness to disect!

Anyone care to donate a junked one? Doesn't have to be perfect just mostly complete.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Sorry Larry. When I replaced mine it was such a horrible mess that I tossed most of it. I kept the connectors, but that's about it. There were splices on splices with different colored wires and almost impossible to trace!

Ed

·
Registered
748 Posts
Same here with the harness I took off my 68. It looked like Edward Scissorhands was the electrician who worked on it.

If you PM me your email address, I will send you a document that might help the project.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Terry
Terry
Update, I got a schematic and cleaned all connections involved in the circuit. I even took apart the fuse box and cleaned all of the terminals, and the thru junction block through the firewall. My new switch has 12 volts going in, and about 9.8-10 volts coming out. I replaced the switch with a second one and it is the same. Voltage remains the same down to the starter at the solenoid. I have a full 12 volts at the battery cable at the starter when cranking. The starter will still "clunk" about every 4th crank attempt. All power and grounds are good. I even ran an extra ground to the starter from the battery for testing purposes. What happens is the starter gear will fly out to the flywheel, but the starter will not spin over. The old starter did the same thing, along with this replacement starter. I lastly ran another wire to the solenoid post (purple wire) and ran straight to the battery. Still the same thing. Any ideas of what's going on? It's embarrassing to hear that clunk when trying to start.

·
Registered
149 Posts
12 volts coming in which wire and 10 going out which wire? what voltages in acc? Run? Start?
What are the voltages at both starter wires before and during cranking?
It appears you would seem to have a defective starter, but seems more likely the battery cable to the starter is the issue. Is it new? The starter solenoid is working.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
12 volts coming in which wire and 10 going out which wire? what voltages in acc? Run? Start?
What are the voltages at both starter wires before and during cranking?
It appears you would seem to have a defective starter, but seems more likely the battery cable to the starter is the issue. Is it new? The starter solenoid is working.
12 volts at the switch battery leg and wire, and 9.8 on the solenoid (purple) wire during start. I replaced the starter with a/c delco, but my original starter did the same thing. The battery cables are about 20 years old, but I have 12 volts at the starter during crank. I may change the cables just to see. I'm about at my witts end with this thing. grrrr.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts