Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Need to troublshoot purple wire to see why there is that 2.2 volt drop. Maybe bad connection.

From ignition switch, power passes through a connector for the saftey switch, then power goes through safety switch, then another connector after safety switch, then firewall connector and finally gets to starter solenoid.

You could run a new purple wire from ignition switch straight to the solenoid to see if 12 volts gets to the solenoid. If it does, then it is existing wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I'm going to throw something in here. You say the starter gear "Flys out to the flywheel".

Can you tell if it is actually engaging the flywheel?

I don't know if that would tell us anything but it sounds like we're gonna have to start thinking outside the box.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,394 Posts
This sounds to me like there's a starter misalignment problem or possibly the starter drive doesn't have enough lead chamfer. A friend that has a starter rebuild business has told me before the lack of chamfer is a common problem. So with the exception of not engaging, approximately every 4th try, does the starter turn and start the motor?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm going to throw something in here. You say the starter gear "Flys out to the flywheel".

Can you tell if it is actually engaging the flywheel?

I don't know if that would tell us anything but it sounds like we're gonna have to start thinking outside the box.
Yes, the bendix throws the starter gear against the flywheel, but the starter doesn't spin to engage the teeth. Starter is shimmed and in proper alignment. I'm starting to question the starter, but my previous starter did the exact same thing. My replacement starter (A/C Delco Professional) is doing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
As Al asked when it does engage does the engine turn over?

I quickly went through this post but didn't see any mention of jumping the solenoid terminal, (purple wire), to the main starter terminal. Have you tried that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

I quickly went through this post but didn't see any mention of jumping the solenoid terminal, (purple wire), to the main starter terminal. Have you tried that?
It will crank and start after about 3 tries. I am going to replace both battery cables this afternoon, and am going to recheck the starter gear alignment just to make sure its in align,

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Did you try jumping the solenoid terminal to the main starter terminal? I don't believe I saw that in an earlier post.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
The way I figure it if it cranks consistently with them jumped then you are on the right track in trouble shooting the wiring. If you get the same results then it's a starter/alignment issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Did you try jumping the solenoid terminal to the main starter terminal? I don't believe I saw that in an earlier post.
Yes I did. Same thing. The thing I don't understand is why the starter pinion is not spinning. It just flys out to the flywheel. I always thought as soon as the start wire was energized, the starter motor starts spinning.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Dang, even though it's a new starter I can't help but think that's your problem. But, with the old starter doing the same thing I could see how one would think it's something else. It seems that your wiring is in good shape based on your results.

I believe if the starter would spin as it should it would then engage the flywheel and crank over. If the alignment was off, say not enough clearance, I am quite sure it would spin and grind against the flywheel.

Maybe you could bench check it?

Reactions: Terry Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Where can I access a starter/ignition switch wiring schematic? I've searched this site and cannot find one. I am still having an intermittent no-crank condition. I have low voltage (7 volts, but when cranking, it has about 10 volts) on the purple wire at the starter. I've checked the battery and both cables. Replaced the starter and ignition switch and bypassed the neutral switch. No help. Do you guys know of a common problem I should look at? Thanks for your time.
Terry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes I did. Same thing. The thing I don't understand is why the starter pinion is not spinning. It just flys out to the flywheel. I always thought as soon as the start wire was energized, the starter motor starts spinning.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Just thought of something... Since the starter gear is attached to the solenoid plunger, which pushes on the copper ring, (at least they all move together as one), if the gear does not engage the flywheel then the copper ring is not connecting the battery cable terminal and the starter terminal together. No power is being transferred from the battery terminal to the starter terminal! I think your wiring is fine the way it operates when it finally cranks.

So, I think you have an alignment issue. Just for the hell of it place a starter shim at both bolts between the starter and block. See what happens.

Motor vehicle Font Engineering Auto part Machine

Looking at the diagram I remember the copper ring is spring loaded so it actually contacts the terminals before the gears engage. I am theorizing that the starter gear is still not traveling far enough for the ring to contact the terminals. But, that ring is pretty close to the terminals. I might be wrong on this...

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I am beginning to wonder... I think the starter gear should be spinning before it engages the flywheel. That's how it meshes without sticking like yours is.

Somebody help me on this.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
OK, here is something else you can do before trying the shim. Get a voltmeter probe on the starter terminal, (the one going into the starter), and see if there is voltage when starting.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I assume this Delco starter came with the solenoid?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I assume this Delco starter came with the solenoid?
I have 3 shims installed. One of the pictures shows that I painted the teeth and you can see the contact points. Alignment is good. In the video I made a wire that ran to the start post on the solenoid and was going directly to the battery eliminating all of the car's wiring. Maybe the starter is bad although that is exactly what my original starter was doing. I guess its possible to get 2 bad starters. I was mistaken, the starter came from Napa and came with a solenoid.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Try the voltage reading then. If there is no voltage on the starter terminal when cranking it has to be the starter. More specifically, the solenoid. If you get voltage then I am out of ideas!:(

Maybe someone else has some ideas?

Reactions: Terry Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Try the voltage reading then. If there is no voltage on the starter terminal when cranking it has to be the starter. More specifically, the solenoid. If you get voltage then I am out of ideas!:(

Maybe someone else has some ideas?
Update!!! She is fixed. I replaced the starter again and that was the problem. What are the chances of the replacement starter having the same problem as the one I replaced? Grrrrrrrr. At least I know my switch and all the wiring are good now. LOL. Thank you everyone for your assistance.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Excellent! Sure would like to know specifically what part of the starter was bad. I'm going with the solenoid.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts