Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site but not new to the classic cars. My Dad and I built a 68 Z28 and had fun showing it. He past away 5 years ago and left me the car. I due to personal feelings about the car have not driven it. I am now ready to take the car to shows but want to replace the entire stock brake system, could anyone please tell me where I could purchase this? I don’t want to go to the four disc brakes I want to keep it original. Thank you
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro Z28 survivor
122 Posts
Why not just have the ones you have rebuilt? if they are stock, would think it would be most reasonable from a cost perspective to have the master cylinder and front calipers rebuilt and maybe just replace with reproduction cylinders for the rear drums. Replace individual parts as needed.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Agreed.... rebuild what you have. The stock disc/drum brake system is totally adequate for street driven cars.

Reactions: Manvm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not just have the ones you have rebuilt? if they are stock, would think it would be most reasonable from a cost perspective to have the master cylinder and front calipers rebuilt and maybe just replace with reproduction cylinders for the rear drums. Replace individual parts as needed.
I don’t mind doing that but I am having trouble finding a company that sells the parts. I want to replace the lines and front calipers and the rebuild the rear drums. Thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just did my 68 Camaro with the right stuff disc brakes conversion from summit they have parts. In my opinion since it is a z/28 I would try and rebuild what is there a our bring as close to factory as you can. Camaro Central has parts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
inline tube in Michigan would have the brake lines and napa probably has the rear cylinders. I tried to rebuild a set once and just leaked. New cylinders were pretty cheap

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Restoring just the brakes on a 68 Z after restoring the whole car should be relatively easy to accomplish.

MANY places have every part you could possibly want to accomplish your goal.

Just do a Google search.

I have a near 25 year old, insanely complex Mercedes Benz SL600 V12 that was my daily driver. I'm a reasonably competent mechanic and never owned a MB of any sort before this car and yet I find all I need by doing normal searches on the Internet and various enthusiast websites.

I also have Camaros (as many here do) with OEM systems rebuilt by their owners.

Just search.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
A competent local rebuilder is be able to rebuild those 4 piston calipers and get them stainless steel sleeved. Same goes for the master cylinder. Other stuff like the booster, proportioning valve, hold off valve, lines drums, shoes, rotors, pads, hardware etc. are available from restoration parts vendors. Nice looking car BTW

Reactions: Manvm
1 - 8 of 8 Posts