Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
When did the production of 1969 Camaros end and 1970 Camaros begin?
I have often seen 1970 Camaros referred to as 1970 1/2 Camaros.
Thank You In Advance.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
From the CRG site : Note that the 1969 model year was an unusual one for Camaro, since it extended through November 1969, several months beyond the conventional end of model year.

The extended 69 production and the delay of introduction of the '70 Camaro was not purposeful, nor was it related to labor problems; it was late because the quarter panel draw dies failed during final die tryout and had to be rebuilt from scratch. Fisher Body had lots of troubles drawing the 1970 quarter panels without wrinkles and splits. They attempted to correct the problems by modifying the draw dies during final tryout but the problems got worse instead of better. Fisher finally had to redesign/rebuild the draw dies, which delayed the launch by 4-5 months. Chevrolet decided to extend the 1969 model, which created a wild scramble, as this meant extending part supplier contracts for the '69 (suppliers had already committed their facilities to other business), finding alternate capacity for '69 parts, etc. The PR department attempted to spin the delay in a different direction for public consumption as GM never publicly admitted any internal problems or failures, especially within Fisher Body, its biggest manufacturing Division, with the biggest tooling budget. But the delay of the 1970 Camaro was a black eye for Fisher Body Die Engineering, as it was the first production launch delay that was ever laid at their feet.

From NastyZ28 site : 1970 saw the introduction of the all new Second Generation Camaro. The 1st generation Camaro (1967 - 1969) was seen as a hasty response to the Ford Mustang. It was considered a compromise by some critics. There would be no compromises with this car. Due to production delays the 1970 Camaro was introduced in February 1970, half way into the production year. Because of this, some people will call the 1970 Camaro a 1970 1/2, but officially the car is a 1970 model year Camaro. Good things come to those who wait, and this car was met with rave reviews from nearly everyone. Chevrolet had a winner that would run for 12 years.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
From NastyZ28 site : 1970 saw the introduction of the all new Second Generation Camaro. The 1st generation Camaro (1967 - 1969) was seen as a hasty response to the Ford Mustang. It was considered a compromise by some critics. There would be no compromises with this car. Due to production delays the 1970 Camaro was introduced in February 1970, half way into the production year. Because of this, some people will call the 1970 Camaro a 1970 1/2, but officially the car is a 1970 model year Camaro. Good things come to those who wait, and this car was met with rave reviews from nearly everyone. Chevrolet had a winner that would run for 12 years.
A winner huh? Is that why the Q panels couldn't be built right? And it took ten years for production numbers to reach that of 69 again?
Also hasty???? The Mustang came out in 64, the Camaro in 67. What's hasty about that? And the first gen's are THE classics. Compare them to Mustangs of the same year and even other pony cars ever produced and you'll see why. Better thought out with better engineering and better 'value'.
Who ever wrote that wasn't born soon enough and had to buy a second gen. :yes:

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Fred, That is nastyz28's quote, not mine. Of course they are going to be biased as they are the Second Generation Of Camaro's site. Just as you are biased to the First Generation Camaro ! j/k :) :)

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Yeah,,, I'm biased, but have good reason. Been there. Seen 'em. And have you guys seen a mustang, at least up to the fox body, (guess that's what the second gen mustangs are called) where the hood lines up with the fenders? I haven't, even on Barrett Jackson.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
1970 was a very interesting time in Camaro history. At the height of the Muscle Car Era, production problems delayed the 70 model introduction such that GM actually advertised the 69 Model as part of there 70 Muscle Car line up.

and the 70 Model as their 70½ model such as
70 1/2 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe
There is no denying that the VIN determined the Year of production but there where many cases where 69 models were registered as a 70 by the MVR. By End of January Dealers where selling both Models as NEW Cars in 1970 which is unique in Camaro History.

Other then a New Body Design in 70 and the most powerful SBC ever offered to the public, both the 69 and 70 Models have common Drive Train, Electrics and Steering Column. Also the 69 and 70 Models probably share the most Popularity among Camaro enthusiasts.

The 70Z was no doubt more powerful and handled better then the 69 but there is no denying the popular aesthetic design of the 69, especially with the RS package, an option on the 2nd Gen that didn’t necessarily enhance the looks over the STD Grill according to many. After GM dropped the 1st Gen, Chrysler virtually traced the lines of the 1st Gen Camaro into their Cuda and Challengers models and did it very successively I might add. My 340 Mag RS Challenger was lighter, faster and with torsion bar suspension out handled the SBC Camaro and was $1,500 cheaper; unfortunately, their bodies rusted like Coke Cans. In retrospect, unlike Ford or Chrysler, GM in 1970 did not option; Six Pac’s, Shakers, Factory Headers, Dual Exhausts or Plush Interiors wrapped inside a tinfoil skin to promote their Muscle Car; instead, GM marketed a package which simply included the STRONGEST and BEST ENGINEERED BODY in the Industry complimented by a line of Performance Engines with design features that allowed you to Bolt On the Required Options and WIN whatever Race Event you participated in. If you could not do it, oriented dealers like YENKO, BALDWIN, NICKEY …etc would do this for you.

A buddy owned a 70 302 BOSS - Beautiful car man, but he always had problems keeping the clutch in her. Seems the Fire Wall would flex with them Hi-RPM launches that the Ford engine required causing the linkage to vibrate hence blowing the clutch and if I recall he also had issues with the shock towers.

Because of the larger production #'s and after market parts there are considerably more 69's restored then the 70 to 73 Models. The 70 model has many parts that are one year specific and very difficult to restore to original specifications. It is very rare to find a #'s matching 70Z today as there were only 8733 built with that infamous 360Hp solid flat tappet 350 LT1 and less the 2600 with the Muncie and 4:10 gears. Mine was one of these but the original engine was lost long ago so I installed a 600Hp MK IV Solid Roller power plant and can't say if I miss the LT1 ;o)

Believe me you are the center of Camaro enthusiast’s attention; owning either a 69 or a 70 Camaro and there will always be that sense of friendly reviler between the 2 and of course the 70½ topic.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I doubt it ever happened.I had a 68 Camaro in my shop that was bought brand at the end of 1967,to be used as a racecar and never had a title issued.It had all the papers that the dealer gives the buyer to go to DMV and get a title but the owner never did i.The current owner went to DMV and got a title in 2004,and it said 1968 Cheverolet on it.That car could have been titled in 1967,and it would have still been a 68,it could have been first titled in 2007 and it would still have been a 68,it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd really like to see a title that says 1970½ on it too.
you're not going to see that. the 1/2 is just something mostly used by the public because of the car coming out late.

If I was home right now, I could look up the actual dates and production numbers for both year's cars, but I don't have all my reference info and books here at work

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
1/2 is just something mostly used by the public
"701/2" was not originally "coined" by the public but by GM Advertising and the public followed suit. Check out this Official General Motors Media Archives of a 1970 1/2 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe Advertisement ;o)

http://www.gmphotostore.com/1970-1_2-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-Coupe/productinfo/53217955/

If you look at most of the original Ads in Car Magazines for the Camaro in 1970 they will say "70 1/2". Look at the Cover Page for the March 1970 issue of CAR Craft for instance.

Sish! - Looks like they came with Western Mags - LOL
Mine actually came with Westerns when I bought my 70Z in 76 an wish I had kept them.

In my opinion, these ads where a Sales Gimmick to sell both the 69 and 70 models as New Cars as they were both on showroom floors at the same time; however, it is also my opinion, you can refer to the 70 model as a 70 1/2 as the "COIN" has been firmly planted in Camaro History.

As stated
the VIN determined the Year of production
A title that says 1970½ is ridiculous but License Plate # would be interesting.

See what I mean about the "70 1/2 Topic" and how it brings out the reviler which I do not consider hostile as we love our Camaros, what ever the year; however, it was probably a disgruntled 69 owner with a 70 title that started the roomer that the 70 1/2 Camaro is a Myth and failed to tell GM - our Winged Friends should get a chuckle with that statement and besides the site has been really slow lately - LOL

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Well Z, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I remember very well visiting a dealer in Seattle in 1970. The salesman was a kid my age. He was pointing out all the selling points of the new Camaro's. But I just kept looking at it thinking 'no way'. They killed my car! Barracuda's look much better. Oh well.
But the salesman had a 69 Nova with an L78 like mine and MT valve covers that didn't leak oil. (much) I bought a set. These are them;

Better go, time to pull the engine for spring time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A winner huh? Is that why the Q panels couldn't be built right? And it took ten years for production numbers to reach that of 69 again?
Also hasty???? The Mustang came out in 64, the Camaro in 67. What's hasty about that? And the first gen's are THE classics. Compare them to Mustangs of the same year and even other pony cars ever produced and you'll see why. Better thought out with better engineering and better 'value'.
Who ever wrote that wasn't born soon enough and had to buy a second gen. :yes:
Do you mean L78? You wrote 1969 L78 with 4.10 true trac just
to checking

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
to checking
Cameraman, this thread is over 11 years old. Fred had modified his Camaro, (engine and gears) just like many of the people who purchased them back in the day.

·
Premium Member
5,590 Posts
Ca
to checking
Cameraman Fred had purchased the engine for his Camaro before he purchased the car. IIRC he had all the parts he pulled off stored in his mother's basement. I hold Fred in high regard as he was an original owner that purchased his Camaro new and preserved it up to his death. May he rest in Peace.

Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts