Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A POWER STEERING PUMP FOR A SMALL BLOCK AND A BIG BLOCK MOTOR. IN THE PROCESS OF ADDING POWER STEERING TO A 69 BIG BLOCK CAMARO, PURCHASED A REBUILT POWER STEERING PUMP THAT WAS TO FIT ALL V8 MODELS.ON PUMP WHERE RETURN LINE IS CONNECTED TO THE PUMPS TUBE FITTING,IT IS IN THE WAY OF MOUNTING BRACKET THAT IS USED TO MOUNT PUMP TO MOTOR AND TO TIGHTEN PUMP BELT. 69 BIG BLOCK HAS 3 MOUNTING BRACKETS TO MOUNT PUMP TO MOTOR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure about '69 big block pumps & brackets. But I do know when I converted my '76 Malibu from small block to big,I had to change all brackets & pulleys along with replacing the power steering pump. There is a difference between small & big block power steering pumps and brackets for the 73-77 years anyway. I bet the same is true for prior years.

------------------
Larry Santi
72 RS/Z28
76 Malibu Classic

·
Registered
51 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DAMCDO:
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A POWER STEERING PUMP FOR A SMALL BLOCK AND A BIG BLOCK MOTOR. IN THE PROCESS OF ADDING POWER STEERING TO A 69 BIG BLOCK CAMARO, PURCHASED A REBUILT POWER STEERING PUMP THAT WAS TO FIT ALL V8 MODELS.ON PUMP WHERE RETURN LINE IS CONNECTED TO THE PUMPS TUBE FITTING,IT IS IN THE WAY OF MOUNTING BRACKET THAT IS USED TO MOUNT PUMP TO MOTOR AND TO TIGHTEN PUMP BELT. 69 BIG BLOCK HAS 3 MOUNTING BRACKETS TO MOUNT PUMP TO MOTOR.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 68 Camaro that came with a 6 cyl. I just put a 396 big block and the old power steering would not match up. I have noticed in Classic Industries that they have brackets for big blocks. good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts