Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a 1969 Camaro with front disks and rear drums (all factory). I want some new rims and am leaning toward Torq Thrust II. Want to go bigger than 15" rims so looking at 16x8 rims.

Do you know if I will have any rubbing or other fitment issues like needing to move the shock mount possibly?

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
There is actually a thread on here where a lot of guys have shared pics of their wheels and tires. I am looking to make a swap to modern wheels as well and considering the American Racing Torq Thrust II's, but more likely going with 17's or even 18's. Can we get some of you guys that have a 69 with the AR Torq Thrust II's to post pictures, being sure to note wheel size with back spacing along with tire make and sizes?

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Mine are AR CL205's - same as TTII but with painted spokes.

17 x 8 4.75 BS 235/45-17 F
17 x 9.5 5.5 BS 275/40-17 R

Picture in signature
That looks good Al. Now what did you do to achieve that stance? IE: coilovers in front and drop leaf in the rear, or? Also, when selecting wheels, does it matter if you have disc brakes in front and drum in the rear vs disc brakes all the way around?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
That looks good Al. Now what did you do to achieve that stance? IE: coilovers in front and drop leaf in the rear, or? Also, when selecting wheels, does it matter if you have disc brakes in front and drum in the rear vs disc brakes all the way around?
Thanks - pretty standard recipe. Hotchkis small block 2" drop springs in front, stock LCA's, and their 1.5" drop leafs in the rear with 3/4" lowering blocks and no rubber pads.

I have goofy brakes - C6/C4 Corvette hybrid in the front and LS1 Camaro rear dics. I just went with the standard backspacing recipe I found here on TC w/o regard to the brakes I have and it worked out fine. I will say that in the rear the discs move the wheels out 1/8" on each side - being that the disc rotor is 1/4" thick where it slides over the axle vs the brake drum which is 1/8" thick. (I measured!)

I did have to trim a small amt of metal away on the pass side rear wheel opening lip - not so much because the discs reduced clearance, but because my rear isn't perfectly centered side to side, which is pretty common with these cars.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
While all of the posts are from 2009, check out the "Sticky" in this forum for some good pictures of Wheel and Tire combos with sizes, back spacing and some with suspension details.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts
I'm running 16x8 rims with 4.5" backspacing...
also Hotchkis 2" lowering coil springs and I have No issues at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts